Vendee Holiday -Advice/guidance/suggestions/help

Planning to holiday in the Vendee end of August.

The wife does,nt do boats. I propose travelling from Somerset to Dover stay over night local to tunnel

Early morning crossing, then travel to Rouens/Le Man area for overnight then on to destination.

Is this feasable or would any one recommend alternative plans

Any site reccomendations would be appreciated

We also have two teenagers travelling with us

Thankyou in anticipation.

Volvo XC90/ Magnum 544

Planning to holiday in the Vendee end of August.

The wife does,nt do boats. I propose travelling from Somerset to Dover stay over night local to tunnel

Early morning crossing, then travel to Rouens/Le Man area for overnight then on to destination.

Is this feasable or would any one recommend alternative plans

Any site reccomendations would be appreciated

We also have two teenagers travelling with us

Thankyou in anticipation.

My solution would be either travel Plymouth - Roscoff, Poole - Cherbourg or Portsmouth - wherever. .. sans wife.

Arrive Vendee on first day in France.

Pre-book as far in advance as possible for wife to fly to Nantes or La Rochelle. .. collect on 2nd day in France and have a great holiday.

Return journey is an inverted version of outbound journey!!

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

We always used the Portsmouth crossings. Travelling from Edinburgh that gave us a relaxing overnight rest on the ferry then an 8 hour drive to our destination in Vendee.

We preferred to stay away from the coastal sites and found a very friendly site Camping l'Eden at Montague http://www. chambresdhotesfrance. com/camping/85/domainedeleden. htm. It's where the french stay so dont expect then to try and speak english. It's a few years since we stayed there but at the time, they had an outdoor swimming pool, horse riding, fishing, hang-gliding and they ran social events, picnics, etc.

Towcar - Ford S-Max 2. 0 TDCI

Caravan - Pegasus 534

The wife does,nt do boats.

All those suggestions sound like they involve a boat to me! :rolleyes:

WSM Tim

I sympathize as I have the same problem!! :angry:

All those suggestions sound like they involve a boat to me! :rolleyes:

WSM Tim

I sympathize as I have the same problem!! :angry:

True, but my suggest keeps the wife and the boat apart!!!! :rolleyes:

G

Hi,

We live on your route to the Vendee, we've travelled from Calais to the Vendee with 'van in tow many times and found http://www. chateau-de-chanteloup. com/ a very welcoming site, just north of Le mans and not too far from autoroute. Our local site ( owned by friends of ours ) http://www. campingvdv. com/ at Concourson sur Layon, just south of Saumur is popular with Brits on their way south or indeed returning, but be warned, you may want to stay for the entire holiday, such is the beauty of our area ( from here we can visit the seaside in 1 hr 30 mn ), Which ever you choose,enjoy, take your time and smell the roses, your on holiday! Catch ya later,indoors.

" Roughing it, Smoothly " Toyota 3-0 D4D Twincab towing a Hymer Eriba Nova 545 SL

I've only driven Calais-Vendee in one day once and that was solo - wouldn't do it again, I was Kerry Packered! A break somewhere around Le Mans would be good - Camping Municipal at Beuamont sur Sarthe is a recommendation from me and several others on this site.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

thankyou for your suggestions. i think i will take a look at all of them before making a decision on our final route.

Is using the tunnel straight forward and what would the travelling times be approx for the french sections of journey

Volvo XC90/ Magnum 544

• 2 weeks later...

Tunnel is very straight forward, possibly easier than the ferry. Got to remember that there are no paseneger areas for car occupant, you stay in the carriage with your vehicle, so from rest point of view less godd than the ferry IMHO.

French travel times, variable according to how fast you tow, route, traffic. There are a couple of weekends (last one in July is a cracker) and one mid august that seem to be the equivalent of our bank holidays, but with the potential for traffic jams to be massive, expecially where an autoroute passes through a city. Western side isn't as bad as eastern france, where the main route south passes through Lyon city centre and is required to take a couple of tunnels as well!

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Hi,

We have been to La Garangeoire (www. les-castels. com) at St Julien de Landes for the last 2 years and will be doing again this summer, we have got our route

all worked out having done it before.

From Cambridge to Sandwich Leisure Park for 1 night stay on Saturday, Dover to Calais ferry at 09:30 the next day.

From Calais to Le Brevedant (www. les-castels. com) south west of Rouen which is about half way for overnight stop and then on to La Garangeoire the next day.

We do the same for the return leg and get 16:00 Calais to Dover ferry.

We have done this route for the last 2 years and find that each leg of the journey is around 4 to 5 hours which is comfortable when towing in France

with kids in the car etc.

Citroen C5 Estate 2. 0 HDI re-mapped to 140 bhp (2002) towing a Bailey Ranger 550/6 (series 5)

Hi,

We have been to La Garangeoire (www. les-castels. com) at St Julien de Landes for the last 2 years and will be doing again this summer, we have got our route

all worked out having done it before.

From Cambridge to Sandwich Leisure Park for 1 night stay on Saturday, Dover to Calais ferry at 09:30 the next day.

From Calais to Le Brevedant (www. les-castels. com) south west of Rouen which is about half way for overnight stop and then on to La Garangeoire the next day.

We do the same for the return leg and get 16:00 Calais to Dover ferry.

We have done this route for the last 2 years and find that each leg of the journey is around 4 to 5 hours which is comfortable when towing in France

with kids in the car etc.

Hi im off to the garangeoire in july. Would appreciate any tips and extra info on site. Would it be too warm having a pitch in full sun as my husband worries about getting a sky signal but i am worried it will be too hot. Any tips appreciated thanks

Guest mrbloosky

My solution would be either travel Plymouth - Roscoff, Poole - Cherbourg or Portsmouth - wherever. .. sans wife.

Arrive Vendee on first day in France.

Pre-book as far in advance as possible for wife to fly to Nantes or La Rochelle. .. collect on 2nd day in France and have a great holiday.

Return journey is an inverted version of outbound journey!!

HTH

G.

Good posting . ...... have done similar myself when motorbiking to Portugal, saved SWMBO most boring part of trip, she flew Manchester - Bordeaux & rtn

but if using the tunnel 6hrs will get you to here . ... http://www. campingetang. com/v2/ . .. great site have stayed there the last 7yrs. ENJOY

Edited by mrbloosky

I can reccomend Le pin parasol, click My linkHERE.

15 mins from the coast,very clean,huge pitches,great pool complex, not to busy end of august. but best of all very peaceful at night.

Hi swanseajack, we are going to France in three weeks to the le pin parasol, first time towing abroad from portsmouth to st malo, how long did it take ? any tips would be welcome, any ideas regarding use of sat nav.

Regards M J W.

Hi im off to the garangeoire in july. Would appreciate any tips and extra info on site. Would it be too warm having a pitch in full sun as my husband worries about getting a sky signal but i am worried it will be too hot. Any tips appreciated thanks

The site at La Garangeoire is immaculate and very well kept, the pitches are large and some offer shade. We have opted for Full Service pitches on both of our previous visits which have been shaded, we have appreciated the break from the sun at times. As a result I have not been able to get a SKY reception and this year will not even take the kit as we did not miss it at all. Unfortunately even though we booked at the same time as the previous year all of the Full Service pitches were booked for the time we wanted so the kids will have to get used to getting the water!

The staff at the site are fantastic and have lots of activities laid on for kids and adults. Even with the site being busy none of the high standards have slipped and you will often find the site owners behind the bars, at reception or walking around the site. There is a bar just next to reception which is quieter and has internet access, the second bar is part of the pool and restaurant area which is busier but still very personal. The restaurant offers good food and there is a grill evening once a week where you cook on a hotplate in the middle of the table, it is great fun but you need to book early for that.

There are good markets as well as some very good beaches to visit in the surrounding area.

We can't wait to get back there this summer, have a good trip!

Citroen C5 Estate 2. 0 HDI re-mapped to 140 bhp (2002) towing a Bailey Ranger 550/6 (series 5)

Guest marksimonpowell

I've only driven Calais-Vendee in one day once and that was solo - wouldn't do it again, I was Kerry Packered! A break somewhere around Le Mans would be good - Camping Municipal at Beuamont sur Sarthe is a recommendation from me and several others on this site.

woops! doing calais to vendee in August - towing and got 1 day allowed! should be off the tunnel at around 7. 30am - im guessing it will be 8 to 10 hrs

Guest mrbloosky

woops! doing calais to vendee in August - towing and got 1 day allowed! should be off the tunnel at around 7. 30am - im guessing it will be 8 to 10 hrs

Depends where in the vendee, we do Calais > Angers,Loire valley in 6-7hrs so your estimate will be good. ENJOY

Guest marksimonpowell

Depends where in the vendee, we do Calais > Angers,Loire valley in 6-7hrs so your estimate will be good. ENJOY

thanks for that mr bloosky, we are going to st gilles croix de vie - looking forward to it, but not the drive back wink.gif

The site at La Garangeoire is immaculate and very well kept, the pitches are large and some offer shade.

There are good markets as well as some very good beaches to visit in the surrounding area.

We can't wait to get back there this summer, have a good trip!

Hi, we are going to La Garangeoire around June 16th. We haven't booked, should we for middle of June?

Also travelling from Dover - Calais and staying at De l'Etang - lovely site.

Janice.

Hi there

Just to add my "two peneth" My wife also dosn't do boats.

We live south essex and are catching a 09:30 tunnel getting into France

for about 11:00 getting to Rouen for about 15:00 and staying on a site there

called La Foret then onto Le Pin Parasol for 11 nights. This will

be the first time towing a caravan that sort of distance,

but I have driven French autoroutes and they are all ok.

My Advice is to go for it but dont try to go too far

in 1 day.

Happy Travels

Dave

2013 Ford Mondeo Titanium X 163ps towing 2012 Bailey Olympus 540/5

Hi, we are going to La Garangeoire around June 16th. We haven't booked, should we for middle of June?

Janice.

Hello Janice,

We have always booked directly on the La Garangeoire website which gives an indication of pitch availability on line.

Their website currently shows availability on the date you listed for both standard and full service pitches, but they are not accepting attempted bookings for the end of July and most of August. However the best advice would be to contact them in case the website is not up to date.

I am sure that you will enjoy the site.

Best regards,

Simon.

Janice.

Hello Janice,

We have always booked directly on the La Garangeoire website which gives an indication of pitch availability on line.

Their website currently shows availability on the date you listed for both standard and full service pitches, but they are not accepting attempted bookings for the end of July and most of August. However the best advice would be to contact them in case the website is not up to date.

I am sure that you will enjoy the site.

Best regards,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I shall contact them to see if I need to book ahead, as I know it's a very popular site.

Kind regards,

Janice.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou for all your tips . we have now made our bookings.

Overnight at Blackhorse farm Folkestone, 8. 50 am eurotunnel,

Overnight Camping Le Colombier (southwest Rouen) on to

Camping Du Jard, La tranche Sur Mer 11 nights

Overnight Domaine De La Catiniere (southwest Rouen)

Overnight Camping Bien de le Bien Assise Calais- Duty free shopping

10. 20 Eurotunnel - Home

Just need warning triangles, hi viz vest, reverse polarity tester, map, satnav, campinggaz adaptor,

GB stickers, headlight deflectors. Have i forgot any thing?

Any suggestions on the best place to source these?

Volvo XC90/ Magnum 544

• 2 weeks later...

If your vehicle has a GB Euro number plate you do not need GB stickers. You mention camping gaz adaptor. Are you taking a camping gaz bottle? We found that a camping could be bought at DIY stores (bricolage?) if required. BP gas is not available in France - no BP stations! I suggest "beam benders" for headlights as they do not restrict the light output as opposed to the patch type. Do not overload with duty free on the way home. I always carry mine below the wardrobe over the axle. Each bottle goes in a used sock to stop rattling. Does not affect the taste too much.

If your vehicle has a GB Euro number plate you do not need GB stickers. You mention camping gaz adaptor. Are you taking a camping gaz bottle? We found that a camping could be bought at DIY stores (bricolage?) if required. BP gas is not available in France - no BP stations! I suggest "beam benders" for headlights as they do not restrict the light output as opposed to the patch type. Do not overload with duty free on the way home. I always carry mine below the wardrobe over the axle. Each bottle goes in a used sock to stop rattling. Does not affect the taste too much.

Thanks for suggestions. I knew i would find a use for those novelty socks i have for Christmas every year.

Volvo XC90/ Magnum 544