Sign in to follow this  
beemap

Rear View Camera

I called in to jessops today and they have a wireless rear view camera system for just under £100. It comes with various mounting systems for the screen and looks very impressive but does anyone know if they are any good as at this price it seems worth a try.

Guest Robin

I called in to jessops today and they have a wireless rear view camera system for just under £100. It comes with various mounting systems for the screen and looks very impressive but does anyone know if they are any good as at this price it seems worth a try.

Why? Been caravanning since 1970 and have never needed this facility, I'm keeping my hard earned cash in my pocket. For the times we go caravanning my wife sees more than any camera can when I'm reversing.

maybe she can but i like to know what is in the blind spot when pulling out to overtake.

Why? Been caravanning since 1970 and have never needed this facility, I'm keeping my hard earned cash in my pocket. For the times we go caravanning my wife sees more than any camera can when I'm reversing.

Hi Robin

I don't think he meant a reversing camera as he said rear view camera, I take that to mean one

which gives the view a mirror would if a huge great caravan wasn't in the way!

I must say I fancy one as on any journey I seem to attract the numpties who hide in the mirror

blind spot, as in right behind the caravan! they are only revealed when you go round a bend or

up an incline when the rear view through the caravan works. ..

neil

Hi Robin

I don't think he meant a reversing camera as he said rear view camera, I take that to mean one

which gives the view a mirror would if a huge great caravan wasn't in the way!

I must say I fancy one as on any journey I seem to attract the numpties who hide in the mirror

blind spot, as in right behind the caravan! they are only revealed when you go round a bend or

up an incline when the rear view through the caravan works. ..

neil

Hi Niel

good to see that you agree with me.

Graham

I have fitted a rear view camera to the number plate holder, you would not notice it is there if you walked past it. There is a phono cable connecting it to the car and the Kenwood headunit shows the image if I press the appropriate button. It automatically flips to the camera view when I go into reverse. I like having it there but I dont rely on it. The image shown is of the services car park on the M1

post-34662-1271275883_thumb.jpg

I think a rear view camera is a brilliant idea as I had two on my MH and it was great to see what was going on behind . How many times have you gone pull out into a outer lane and someones done the same from the blind spot behind the caravan . The problem is wireless dont have the range from the back of caravan to inside car but the way to get over that I explained here .

Have look here http://www. caravanta. .._1entry352337

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I can see the use -- for the blind spot behind the caravan -- good idea. .

However - the practicalities.

How do you fit it to the caravan - and more importantly how do you get the signal back into the car?

Do you have to hard wire it? or is it "radio controlled"?

the other thing where do toy put the screen?

I already have my Tom-Tom mounted on my dash -- will we have another similar?

As I say -- like the idea cost don't seem too bad

-- but for me -- How to do it !!

Maurice

I fitted a rear view camera on our last van and now on the new one. ...wouldnt be without one now. The view looking in the mirrors is just not very good, and since, like a lot of vans nowadays you cannot see through using the interior mirror, the camera gives an extra margin of safety.

The camera had only been fitted a few days when it probably saved me a speeding ticket, after I spotted a police car sitting 6ft from the rear of the van at 50 mph and totally out of sight through the mirrors. He followed me for over 5 miles at that distance from the caravan and never once did he move far enough from the centreline of the outfit for me to even see one of his wing mirrors. I am convinced that he was sitting there deliberately in the hope that I would go over the speed limit. He knew that I could not see him since there are no windows on the back of the caravan.

It was wireless but there was so much interference that I very quickly hard wired it in. I take a feed from the 12v switched live where it enters the caravan from the hookup and feed it through one of those cigar lighter voltage regulators before it feeds the camera (some are very fussy about supply). The video feed is fed down a GOOD QUALITY SCREENED video cable underneath the van and out to the hitch area. This is then plugged into the rear of the car inside the tailgate and fed to the screen.

I find that this gives me a very stable picture now, as opposed to the wireless which would come and go with poor overall quality. Just for information the car works out at 4. 7 metres and the caravan from hitch to tail is 8 metres.

I fitted a rear view camera for reversing and this avoided passenger getting out to direct (we used to use walkie talkies). She now stays dry. I also fitted side view cameras mainly to be able to see the blind side of the caravan when reversing round corners. These proved invaluable while towing in France where the nearside camera was used in addition to the mirror for overtaking. The three cameras are linked to a button pad with a facility for 4 cameras and there is a display in the roof which can be folded away when not in use. I think with Discovery 4 and it's camera system it could well be the way to go. My cameras are hard wired through a separate 13 pin connector.

Landyman

Landyman,

Have you considered PIP (Picture in Picture) screen ??

It was wireless but there was so much interference that I very quickly hard wired it in. I take a feed from the 12v switched live where it enters the caravan from the hookup and feed it through one of those cigar lighter voltage regulators before it feeds the camera (some are very fussy about supply). The video feed is fed down a GOOD QUALITY SCREENED video cable underneath the van and out to the hitch area. This is then plugged into the rear of the car inside the tailgate and fed to the screen.

I find that this gives me a very stable picture now, as opposed to the wireless which would come and go with poor overall quality. Just for information the car works out at 4. 7 metres and the caravan from hitch to tail is 8 metres.

I use a similar system hard wired via a phono lead that plugs in in the car boot

I used to use the fridge 12V supply but as I needed a memory supply for the Maxview Semitronic I have wired direct from the van battery via an inline fuse

I use it as a rear view camera and as the California has a rear bathroom clear window the camera is inside out of the weather

Its invaluable and I have been using various rear view set ups for the last 10+ years starting with an old CCTV camera from a car boot and a 10in TV on the rear seat viewed via the rear view mirror

The X Trail current model has a handy glove box where the 7 in monitor lives and its just a matter of lift the lid and velcro the screen into an upright position

We can also swap one phono lead on site and see what is happening behind the van if needed via the TV

Although I have a great view with the mirrors but not directly behind, ie motor bikes and cars on vans rear end. I am interested in fitting one of these rear view cameras at the back but very interested as how to mount the camera and cables as our senator virginia has a solid rear pannel, don't want to drill anywhere on a year old van so any ideas gratefully received.

Dave

I fitted one high up on the Oklahoma but had to drill through the panel when the van was new

I used the rubber rawlbolts that are used on many caravan rear lights for the fixing and sealed the cable with silicone and had no leaks

My friend has his fitted alongside the number plate in a waterproof transparent box so that he can position a no plate over the hole on trade in

I just stuck a metal GB plate over the hole

Conrad Anderson is very experienced and I have had excellent service from them with reversing sensors and cruiose control but my cameras have all come from ebay

Dave once you've drilled your first hole you won't look backbiggrin.gif

I fitted one high up on the Oklahoma but had to drill through the panel when the van was new

I used the rubber rawlbolts that are used on many caravan rear lights for the fixing and sealed the cable with silicone and had no leaks

My friend has his fitted alongside the number plate in a waterproof transparent box so that he can position a no plate over the hole on trade in

I just stuck a metal GB plate over the hole

Conrad Anderson is very experienced and I have had excellent service from them with reversing sensors and cruiose control but my cameras have all come from ebay

Dave once you've drilled your first hole you won't look backbiggrin.gif

Thanks might look at moving the no plate accross a bit and fit one there then use some of those stick on cable clips to run the cables straight down the back (about 12")then along the chasis to pick up live feed in the van and the video feed into the front locker with enough cable then to go on to the car.

Dave

Thanks might look at moving the no plate accross a bit and fit one there then use some of those stick on cable clips to run the cables straight down the back (about 12")then along the chasis to pick up live feed in the van and the video feed into the front locker with enough cable then to go on to the car.

Dave

Back to thr origional post, does anybody know if the Maplin wireless system is any good.

Graham

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had mine fitted by a guy in Worksop, he was good and made a very good job of it all. He supplied the camera which was part of a thin plastic number plate holder with a camera mounted in the top rail. It is not obvious when you walk past it. It is hard wired to the head unit. There is a phono cable running under the van (cable tied) witha short fly lead to join the van and car together

Back to thr origional post, does anybody know if the Maplin wireless system is any good.

Graham

So far it doesn't look like itmad.gif

If you have a van with a high level brake light, you can pass the wire through the same hole the light is wired through. I mounted the camera by screwing it's bracket onto the alloy rail which hides the joint between roof and rear panel. Putting the screws through a plastic bead trim which will close up if the camera is removed. I know that not all vans come with the same rear construction as mine so this may not be possible on your van.

If you have a van with a high level brake light, you can pass the wire through the same hole the light is wired through. I mounted the camera by screwing it's bracket onto the alloy rail which hides the joint between roof and rear panel. Putting the screws through a plastic bead trim which will close up if the camera is removed. I know that not all vans come with the same rear construction as mine so this may not be possible on your van.

How do you get the signal back ino the car??

How do you get the signal back ino the car??

On the first van I fitted a camera to, I just ran the video feed wire inside the van to the front window and then outside to the tailgate of the car. When on a site just coiled the lead up and stuck it in the cupboard. On our latest one I have actually hidden it around the van and dropped it through a vent in the floor so that it ends up on the A-frame. A bit more work but not so "messy".

I have my phono cable coiled inside the gas locker

It can get there either by going inside the van through the floor lockers or underneath and fixed with nylon ties to existing wiring to th erear lights etcbiggrin.gif