Chippy

Avondale Dart 2007 556 6 Battery Problems

Hi all,

Does anyone know where the battery charger is on a 2007 Avondale Dart 556.

By a process of elimination I'm 95% certain the charger isn't working/charging but can't seem to locate it.

Many thanks

Julian

Is it not screwed to the front wall, inside one of the front bed lockers, or adjacent to the battery box?

Battery Charger - Sargent PSU2005 - small.jpg

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

I've turned the caravan upside down looking for it. I've had all the seats up and looked in every cupboard and there's nothing obvious that looks like a battery charger unit. Apparently the red LED switch on top of my fuse box is for the charger so I wondering if it is bulit into the fuse box somewhere. Have you heard of this before ? If not and you would expect it to be a standalone unit then I'm at a loss to wher it can be.

Cheers

Julian

I've had many Avondale caravans over the years, and I have to say that the charger has never been hidden in the way you say. All I can suggest is that you try to follow the red & black wires from the battery box. You may find that it is in the same enclosure as the trip fuses, so check to see if there are any ventilation holes, as a charger will generate heat that has to be allowed to escape.

Good luck!

Gordon.

Thanks for tips Gordon, I'll have another look.

However, I know I'm new to caravaning but I am pretty convinced that the charger has failed so I was thinking of just buying an off the shelf multi charger and connecting it myself - as crudely as using crocodile clips to the terminals and plugging it into the mains. What are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

Julian

We have a 2005 380/2 dart and the charger is in front under the bed next to the battery box Its A black box with red light on Fuses in there as well

Doubt its your charger have you got the switches in the positions for charging when on car and EHU

Hi Rita,

When you say its a black box with a red switch and fuses is it seperate to the fuse board or part of that. My fuse board has a red switch on top but it doesn't look as if it has a charger near it. Also, what switches are you referring to when you say car or EHU. Where are these switches.

Excuse my ignorance but totally new to caravaning and haven't a clue !!!

The black box is the charger( Red light should be on when connected to mains) and fuse box all in one

Our battery and pump switch are together on the side of the wardrobe But poss diff in yours

Our car/caravan switch is off when we are on hook up

Have you got a hand book

Connect the power and to go sit in van and play

Did you not get any instructions when you bought

Nah no instructions - as usual !

Sounds as if I have a similar set up to you. I have a 12v switch next to the water pump switch but if the 12v switch is off the lights or water pump don't work.

Is the car/caravan switch yor refer to the 12v switch by the pump or a different one ? If different where is yours located ?

Thanks

but if the 12v switch is off the lights or water pump don't work.

Is that when on ehu? or just battery

Yes thats the switch

It's when on EHU. All sockets work fine but if 12v switch is off, lights or water pump don't work. With 12v switch on everything works but battery is being drained. I assumed that the charger may be faulty.

Are you saying that with your 12v switch off, you still get lights and water pump? If so I'm missing something !!

Sorry to be a pain

Your not a pain we all have to learn

If you have everything working with it switched on then thats ok

And i presume you have the Charger switched ON

Its bed time here will check your answer tomorrow NN

Yeah charger light switched on. To test the charger when I went to bed the other night I made sure all appliances were off and the charger was on. The battery was only just in the yellow on the meter so I expected the battery to have charged throughout the night. When I got up in the moirning the battery was in the same state. All the fuses are fine and on my fuse board the fridge and charger are on the same circuit and as the fridge is working fine there is no reason the charger souldn't be working.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the charger is faulty unless there is something I'm not doing correctly.

Ta. ...

Hello chippy.

Did you manage to get to the bottom of the problem. We are also having the exact same problem

Mattymoo,

As this is quite an old thread I doubt the OP still has the same caravan. 

Gordon.

Chippy hasn’t been back to the forum since 6 days after he posted this thread!

John

Posted (edited)

Whilst there is a thread open, I've an Avondale dart 470 2001 year. New battery came with half charge, after 4 weeks it's lost the charge. No voltage on the multi meter from the leads or terminals. Any thoughts please?

this is following the heating system not working, or no fan or heat, I have accepted the carver heater is knackered

Edited by Regtgunner
Forgot to add

1 hour ago, Regtgunner said:

New battery came with half charge, after 4 weeks it's lost the charge.

Are you sure it was a new battery.   A new battery usually comes with a (usually) full charge and no way does it lose what it has in four weeks - unless there's a drain on it.   What happens when the battery is installed in the van with the mains connected and the charger switched on.   There should be a volt-meter somewhere in the van and it should be registering around 13 volts with the mains switched on.

Hi jaydug. Got the battery from a reputable source and yes it was just under the green on the meter. Yes there must be a drain somewhere. When connected to hook up sockets and fridge work but no action on 12v system. Zig x7 buzzing away. No power on black and red terminals but blue and white terminals have 11 on the multi meter. Checked ALL fuses. Thanks

There's a switch on top of the Zig unit.   Is it switched to on?

Do you mean the power switch on the side of is there another on top that I just haven't seen? Just been chatting to  a caravan engineer and as soon as I mentioned Avondale he said change the unit for modern leisure battery charger but there's the usual black and red wire to and from the battery and a blue and white, what to do with the wires, splice white with red and black with blue? Thanks

Do you mean the power switch on the side of is there another on top that I just haven't seen?

Sorry!   My mistake.   You're right, the switch is on the side.   It's the fuse module where there's a switch on the top.   I wouldn't go changing the Zig unit - at least until you find out whether it's broken.   Mine is the same age as yours and it works fine.   I don't know about the blue and white  wires.   On my battery I only have the red and black cable to the Zig unit, although there's another pair of heavy cables that go to the motor-mover control.

When the mains power is switched on, what voltage reading do you get on the battery terminals?

Do you mean the power switch on the side of is there another on top that I just haven't seen? Just been chatting to  a caravan engineer and as soon as I mentioned Avondale he said change the unit for modern leisure battery charger but there's the usual black and red wire to and from the battery and a blue and white, what to do with the wires, splice white with red and black with blue? Thanks

Hi the wiring for the zig x7 can be found at

https://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals.htm

Dave

49 minutes ago, carabiker said:

Thanks dave. 

Jaydug, no power reading on the terminals when power is on. Like I say you can hear the zig buzzing but nothing coming out power wise. I'll check the fuse again although it looks ok I'll change it and see. Many thanks again

Hi

some of the zig chargers used have an internal fuse ( not sure of the model ) worth a look inside the unit

if you are replacing the charger go for a multi stage charger ie from sargents elec  or another supplier

Dave