Cavalier Caravans

I remember them well.

|My parents nearly bought one in 1976, but ended up with a Cabby instead. I remember us hopping between the two 'vans for what seemed like hours (well I was 6 so maybe it wasn't that long!). They were popular club class 'vans in their day.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Our second van was a Cavalier.

We moved from a 10ft Nene Valley which had gas lights, no heating, no fridge, footpumped water, and a double burner to the 15ft Cavelier.

It had a heater, electric water pump, running hot water from a geyser, fridge, a double burner and grill, plus full oven with double burner and grill. extendable toilet compartment, and a wonderful seating arrangement.

Luxury at the time.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Great to hear of fond memories of these vans :D

I have one just now!! My parents bought it brand new in 1979. I was gifted it some years ago and its travelled wide and far now also taking my daughter on caravanning trips. Although we have often thought of buying a newer van we just cannot bear to part with the old Cavalier!! Its still dry, warm and comfy which I think is a testiment to its quality. Its been upgraded with electrics etc and hopefully there will be many more years in it yet :D

Our first caravan back in the early 70s was a 2nd hand Cavalier, think it was about 10ft, small double at the front, single dinette at rear with the good old hammock bunk. Blasted thing gave us our one and only snake on the Kassel Autobahn, took up all 3 lanes, boy were we lucky to get out of it as the autobahn started going uphill! It turned out that the guy we bought it from had, for some idiotic reason, refitted the fridge above the cupboard it was originally in, and had given us totally the wrong pressure for the tyres. Best "learning experience" we ever had. Coincidentally that same holiday we met another Cavalier owner at a campsite in Berchtesgaden who was waiting for his car to be repaired after being in a bad snake.

Traded the van in on our return for a new Monza.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

My Parents had a 460 GT Cavalier, which had a large L shaped kitchen at the back along with a novel corner washroom, with one wall that slid on runners to enlarge it's size.

I remember the seating etc as being very orange. .... :blink:

My best friends Parents were so impressed with it, that they went out and bought a 1200T Cavalier, which they owned for nigh on 20 years before selling it to give up caravanning.

Happy days. .....

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi there.

I own a Cavalier Caravan 1400s -1973 years model.

I been renovating my caravan for 3years now and finaly getting finished with it. ..

But I have another problem, to find anything about this caravan. ..

Some facts or information papers or just some old comersial about them. ..

Anyone who got something about them?

fredrik

My Parents had a 460 GT Cavalier, which had a large L shaped kitchen at the back along with a novel corner washroom, with one wall that slid on runners to enlarge it's size.

That's the one we had.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Gordon.

I have tryed that page, but it seems like the email adresses they got under contact list dosent work. ..

Anyone got something else about Cavalier Caravans? some books or broushures or something`?

Hi Fredrik

I can give you some info but the information I have is from a brochure much later than the caravan you have so I'm only guessing this info will be similar or the same for your vans year.

460GT

Ex Works weight - 780kg, MGW - 980kg, payload - 203kg, nose weight - 45kg, tyre size - 6. 40 x 13 6 ply (not sure about that one, maybe old sizing??), tyre pressure 36psi

Cavalier Caravans were part of the Cabby Group who still make caravans and in fact some of the features of our van are still evident in the new Cabbys. Maybe they could dig up some information for you?

Would love to see some photos of the renovation too, there's not many of these around now so would be lovely to see.

And, for anyone who might be vaguely interested. ....

I do happen to know of the whereabouts of a 460 (TS??, would have to check model), its around 1979 and it is a spares job. The inside has been ripped out and is currently lying in a pile on the floor, the sides are showing daylight at the corners too!!! So sad to see it like that but it is very very cheap if anyone fancies it? :D

Gordon.

I have tryed that page, but it seems like the email adresses they got under contact list dosent work. ..

Anyone got something else about Cavalier Caravans? some books or broushures or something`?

Sorry about that. Try contacting the Owners' Club. ..

Cavalier Caravan Club Mrs Mary Anderson, 34 Springfield Ave, Sandiacre, Nottingham NG10 5LZ Tel 0115 9728827 mary. howitt@btopenworld. com

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

We had one of those too, our first van, think it was a '73 model.

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember Cavalier caravans? More importantly does anyone still have one?

Hi Whistlerbc

As a kid Iwrote to them and they sent me, faithfully, their catalogue which continued until I

moved home with my parents a few years later.

The irony is I am studying law and have just started working for Halley Caravans in Burnhouse Ayrshire and its brill.

I work Friday to Sunday but get to meet loads of new and devoted caravan worshipers I never realised just how great caravans are.

My job is to demonstrate how the van works etc;

And yes I start work at 11a. m. today.

My memory of the caravans was the velour seats and a rolls royce finish and to cap it all one passed me on the motorway one day

on my way to Tamworth.

How do you remember them and did you ever get their catalogue ? lol Bill x

Does anyone remember Cavalier caravans? More importantly does anyone still have one?

Owned a second-hand one years ago (1978 model, I think) As far as I can remember (without digging some holiday snaps out) it was cream, with a maroon stripe. Very 'boxy', with traditional construction using a separate wooden frame to which the outer and inner skins were attached.

I can also recall something weird and wonderful about the toilet compartment - where the wall used to double-fold out to give more space when it was in use ;)

No hot water or other refinements - but we had some happy holidays in it.

• 4 months later...

great vans, as a kid we had its look a like, a 73 cygnet, same shape same gold coloured middle section.

i remember the twin axle cav with a huge L shaped kitchen,awesome !!

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

• 9 months later...

yes i have the 1600-6

i used to have the longer 1

but as i am on my own this smaller 1 suites me

any 1 intereseted in being a owner

see e bay--reluctant sale

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just bought a 1980 Cavalier 460TS to replace my younger but rather dodgy ABI ambassador. The Cavalier seems to be in good condition and pretty much everything works but I have searched and searched google for a owners manual for it but no luck so far. Does anyone have one they would be willing to scan for me for can anyone point me in the right direction for info?

Are there any common faults with these vans that I need to be aware of?

I have found the "Cavalier caravan club" website but to be honest, nothing on the site actually suggests it has anything to do with Cavalier caravans other than the name and logo - certainly doesn't inspire an "enquire here" approach!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a picture of our Cavaler 400T, Picture taken before our trip to Switzerland about 1970. Lovely caravan in which we travelled thousands miles.

post-32218-0-66224400-1313848160_thumb.jpg

I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism

~ P D James

• 1 year later...

We had a 400T bought new in 1974 and had it until 1984. Had some memorable holidays in it. Dad was a teacher and I was at school at the time so we would spend almost all of every summer holiday away 4-5 weeks at a time. Took the van to the North Cape, to Germany and Spain.

Towed it with a Volvo 145 until 1980 when we got a Volvo 245 which I've still got.

I remember my dad fitting the Cavalier with the same wheels as the 245 so only had to carry the one spare. Made the van look quite sporty too.

Funnily enough I too remember one incident when it went quite wildly out of control, though it wasn't on a motorway. I think I was about 7 or 8 and I was right in the back of the estate in the boot area, unrestrained so I got thrown about a bit, I'm pretty sure at one point the van was going down the hill in front of the car!

Don't know how, but we actually got out of it unscathed (apart from bashing my head on window!)

VW Passat B6 2. 0l TDI pulling '05 Lunar Quasar 524
'13 Elddis Avante 576 with iDC

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it bought back some happy memories for me.

My parents had a 4 berth Cavalier in the early eighties, I couldn't tell you which model it was but I have many fond recollections of holidays in the new forest and in cornwall and of the many classic car shows that we attended towing the Cavalier with the array of classic Triumphs that my dad owned.

My Dad suffered a pro-lapsed disk in about 1985 and ended up flat on his back for the best part of a year, during which time the Cavalier was left standing at the side of the house. When we came back to it the following year after Dad was up and about again we discovered that it had been letting in water and the frame of the van was collapsing. We sold it on to a friend who repaired it and kept using it for several years before selling it on again, I hope it is still going with a caring owner somewhere.

Its fair to say my parents didnt have much luck with caravans, the Ace Airstream they had before the Cavalier was written off in an accident before we had even spent a night in it and then the troubles with the Cavalier getting damp meant that they decided to buy a Conway Tardis folding camper instead, that was then replaced with the updated version of the Tardis, the Conway Clubman and then last year they purchased a brand new Conway Countryman Deluxe. A "convertible caravan" as they have now decided to market them.

1962 Prototype Everyman Folding Caravan "Herbert" & Pennine Aztec Folding Camper, towed by Kia Carens CRDI.

Read my blog - The Outside In - Find it in the Blogs Section!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Cavalier 1600t sitting behind a wall on a farm in Northumberland which could do with a loving home. Its in good nick for a 41 year old van but perhaps couldnt guarantee the chassis.

• 7 years later...