Sign in to follow this  
JTQ

France- Speed Stickers-Up Date Re Size & Location.

We are aware of the speed restrictions whilst towing in France when using a vehicle plated for over 3500kg GTW [Gross Train Weight], irrespective of the actual weights involved.

The restrictions being, 80 for single carriageways and 90 for dual carriageways and motorways.

We are aware that the rear of the vehicle ought to display stickers and that reportedly this requirement to display these is generally ignored by the authorities.

However there has been ambiguity on the size and placement of the two stickers on the back of our caravans for those of us who feel it’s prudent to simply comply rather than risk the issue. These stickers can be supplied by http://www. speedstickers. co. uk/ telephone: 0800 988 7329 (between 10. 00 - 14. 00)

We have received from the Caravan Club a very clear guidance statement on this, obtained from the Automobile Club de France :-

“The stickers must have a minimum size of 15 cm in diameter.

The speed limit (in km/h) must be written in black numbers, on a white background. The stickers can be glued, attached or painted on the bodywork.

The sticker mentioning the lowest speed must be put in the left bottom of the back of the vehicle. If several stickers are necessary, the sticker with the highest speed must be put on the right side of the other stickers (if horizontally aligned) or above the other stickers (if vertically aligned).”

The following Caravan Club website gives the more general detail:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/news-and-events/news/overseas-news/2009/jul/speed-limits-in-france---update

Edited by klyne
to insert clickable link

I wish the whole European community would adopt the same rules on the roads of speeds, sticks, triangles, bulbs and checker plates . rolleyes.gif

Dave

Thanks JTQ for your update.

Two things.

Can we buy these stickers in this country?

and

I am sure I have read that if you are travelling in a country where these limits (stickers) are not applicable, then they should have a piece of black tape or a cross of the same over them to show they are redundant.

Totally echo your opinion on this Dave, but the Swiss would still be there to bu**er things up.

John.

We are aware of the speed restrictions whilst towing in France when using a vehicle plated for over 3500kg GTW [Gross Train Weight], irrespective of the actual weights involved.

The restrictions being, 80 for single carriageways and 90 for dual carriageways and motorways.

We are aware that the rear of the vehicle ought to display stickers and that reportedly this requirement to display these is generally ignored by the authorities.

However there has been ambiguity on the size and placement of the two stickers on the back of our caravans for those of us who feel it's prudent to simply comply rather than risk the issue. These stickers can be supplied by www. speedstickers. co. uk telephone: 0800 988 7329 (between 10. 00 - 14. 00)

We have received from the Caravan Club a very clear guidance statement on this, obtained from the Automobile Club de France :-

"The stickers must have a minimum size of 15 cm in diameter.

The speed limit (in km/h) must be written in black numbers, on a white background. The stickers can be glued, attached or painted on the bodywork.

The sticker mentioning the lowest speed must be put in the left bottom of the back of the vehicle. If several stickers are necessary, the sticker with the highest speed must be put on the right side of the other stickers (if horizontally aligned) or above the other stickers (if vertically aligned)."

The following Caravan Club website gives the more general detail:

http://www. caravancl. ..france---update

Although there has been a lot of misunderstanding there is no reason why there should be any ambiguity about size, colour or position as it is specified in the French Code de la Route.

The size specified is a white circle 180mm diameter with black digits 150mm in height as I posted many moons ago.

Has the speedstickers website quoted changed it's stickers from 100 mm circles with red outline?

It is interesting that French trucks always have the correct type stickers (needed for "MoT" test) but trucks of other nationalities often have the smaller red outline type. This may indicate their own national requirements and that they are accepted within France.

There is a doubt in some places whether the French can impose this requirement if the stickers are not required in the country of registration.

If anyone is prepared to dispute this with a French gendarme the penalty for non display is only €22.

Edit: The diameter is 200mm.

Edited by beejay

Thanks JTQ for your update.

Two things.

Can we buy these stickers in this country?

and

I am sure I have read that if you are travelling in a country where these limits (stickers) are not applicable, then they should have a piece of black tape or a cross of the same over them to show they are redundant.

Totally echo your opinion on this Dave, but the Swiss would still be there to bu**er things up.

John.

John

See Speed Stickers link in JTQ's original post. I got mine from them last year, very quick service.

David

Oh and I forgot about the germans speed restrictions for tyres and illuminus vests . rolleyes.gif

I have heard of people in Spain getting fined over 100 euros for not having the right stickers .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

John.

1) yes or fit half flap type :P

2) Switzerland is not in the E. U. :angry:

2) Switzerland is not in the E. U. mad.gif

My point is that any EU commonality would not include Switzerland and they would still have their own regulations. This could in theory mean still having two different sets of information on the rear of caravans. An EU and a Swiss set. I only include the Swiss in my comment as their country is regularly used by many other europeans for transit to Italy and South East Europe etc. You could in theory include Norway, Leichtenstein and some Balkan states in with the Swiss. So there is the possibility of having to have even more information on the caravan for long distance travellers.

Personally when travelling on the continent the purpose and meaning of many of the speed stickers on vehicles, especially coaches and HGV, is a complete mystery to me, although after the postings on here I may just be a little bit wiser.

John.

Sorry if this is a daft question but I see the OP indicates that these speed stickers are required for vehicles over 3500kgw. . So just to clarify for numpties like me, are these required for ordinary caravans [ mine is under 1300kg] or just the larger ones?

I hadn't even given it a thought that I may require one.

I doubt if your 1300 kg car will. The determine weight is what the total train weight can be; note not what it is but what that tow vehicle can haul including itself. Its the vehicles permitted Gross Train Weight.

Whilst your vehicle as I said is unlikely to cross this line many reasonable sized vehicle not only heavy 4 x 4 will.

If your towing a 1500 to 1600 kg van then you are into the range of tow vehicle where you need to start checking your vehicles data.

It would be interesting if members gave some figures for their tow cars so we see where this is cutting in.

I am way over the limit with my Disco3 though I cant find the exact value, its over 6000kgs GTW at least.

Why bother buying them, you have all got a computer and a word processor, I made mine in Word, printed them on paper then laminated them.

Earlier on in this tread Dave remarks about stickers for Spain, we are regular travellors to Spain and to the best of my knowledge and belief, you do not need any stickers at all only EC70 marker board(s) plus a GB badge or Euro type number plates.

thanks for reply, car is around 2000 and mtplm for caravan is 1282- therfore under the 3500, so shouldn't need stickers?

thanks for reply, car is around 2000 and mtplm for caravan is 1282- therfore under the 3500, so shouldn't need stickers?

It's not the MTPLM you need to use, but the car's max tow weight.(According to the C. C. info).

Icepuffin.

Find the plate on your car which details the various maximum weights. Look for one entitled Gross Train Weight or GTW or Max Train Weight, this will be the highest figure. This is the total maximum weight that your car and caravan together are allowed to weigh. Regardless of what they actually weigh, if this figure on the plate is 3500kgs or more then you need the the stickers. Oh, and to comply with the speed limits.

It's not the MTPLM you need to use, but the car's max tow weight.(According to the C. C. info).

On the basis of the CC statement you are correct.

So For Audi A6 Max Train Weight up 12% gradient is 4220kg. Any A6 towing a trailer has to observe the lower speed limits. Makes you realise how easier it makes checking speeding outfits for the French Police as they only need access to a database of vehicle max train weights and nothing to do with the caravan.

Previous posts deleted.

John.

Edited by John19

Icepuffin.

Find the plate on your car which details the various maximum weights. Look for one entitled Gross Train Weight or GTW or Max Train Weight, this will be the highest figure. This is the total maximum weight that your car and caravan together are allowed to weigh. Regardless of what they actually weigh, if this figure on the plate is 3500kgs or more then you need the the stickers. Oh, and to comply with the speed limits.

Correct; it has absolutely nothing to do with what you are towing, but if you are towing anything at all, then the critical figure is the towing vehicles "Gross Train Weight".

So its only the towing vehicle you are using that determines if you have to tow at restricted speed and display the stickers.

I know its not logical, but it does make the authorities task of checking dead easy.

Correct; it has absolutely nothing to do with what you are towing, but if you are towing anything at all, then the critical figure is the towing vehicles "Gross Train Weight".

So its only the towing vehicle you are using that determines if you have to tow at restricted speed and display the stickers.

I know its not logical, but it does make the authorities task of checking dead easy.

Question : If you have say a Terrano 2 but because it's automatic the permitted train weight is 1800kgs, much lower than the manual, then its Ok?

How would the gendarmerie know it was an automatic. If they stopped you they would they then look at the plate on the car and you would be OK.

I must admit I would like something official written in French to show to said Police else it could be a bit concerning.

Question : If you have say a Terrano 2 but because it's automatic the permitted train weight is 1800kgs, much lower than the manual, then its Ok?

How would the gendarmerie know it was an automatic. If they stopped you they would they then look at the plate on the car and you would be OK.

I must admit I would like something official written in French to show to said Police else it could be a bit concerning.

Apologies: I now realise that it cant be only 1800, it must be 1800 plus the maximum weight of the vehicle. So quick look at the plate on the car for this maximum train weight is needed. Gut feel is it probably will exceed 3. 5 tons.

Will this do?

ame='Fenester' date='25 February 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1267111214' post='341742']

Will this do?

Article R413-8

La vitesse des véhicules dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes ou des ensembles de véhicules dont le Poids Total Roulant Autorisé est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes, à l'exception des véhicules de transport en commun, est limitée à : 1° 90 km/h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 80 km/h sur les routes à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est relevée à 90 km/h pour les véhicules dont le poids total est inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central ;

3° 80 km/h sur les autres routes. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est abaissée à 60 km/h pour les véhicules articulés ou avec remorque dont le poids total est supérieur à 12 tonnes.

4° 50 km/h en agglomération. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est relevée à 80 km/h sur le boulevard périphérique de Paris.

Ensembles des vehicules is French for combination or outfit. PTRA is French for Gross Train Weight.

Will this do?

Will this do?

Article R413-8

La vitesse des véhicules dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes ou des ensembles de véhicules dont le Poids Total Roulant Autorisé est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes, à l'exception des véhicules de transport en commun, est limitée à : 1° 90 km/h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 80 km/h sur les routes à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est relevée à 90 km/h pour les véhicules dont le poids total est inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central ;

3° 80 km/h sur les autres routes. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est abaissée à 60 km/h pour les véhicules articulés ou avec remorque dont le poids total est supérieur à 12 tonnes.

4° 50 km/h en agglomération. Toutefois, cette vitesse maximale est relevée à 80 km/h sur le boulevard périphérique de Paris.

Ensembles des vehicules is French for combination or outfit. PTRA is French for Gross Train Weight.

Yes good extract.

I think though that the gross train weight is >3. 5t on my auto terrano the plate in the engine bay has lots of figures without any letters to explain what the numbers are . The highest number is 4180 which is probably the Gross Train Weight?

This is all a bit dumb though Beejay, as a small car can pull a relatively heavy trailer whilst a big car pulling a tiny trailer is effectively restricted.

Do you think they really have nt thought this through properly?

Evening all. Whilst I agree with Beejay, Fenester's post has me thinking. .....my outfit (old!) has no limit on it, but when I take my Citroen C6, with the same caravan, it's automatically limited to 90kph. Now, if I get Citroen to shave 180kgs off the maximum towing weight of the C6, it goes back to 130kph. (The caravan weighs 890kg!) Methinks that the makers of French cars should do their homework more. rolleyes.gif

This is all a bit dumb though Beejay, as a small car can pull a relatively heavy trailer whilst a big car pulling a tiny trailer is effectively restricted.

Do you think they really have nt thought this through properly?

In a word, "yes".

I think though that the gross train weight is >3. 5t on my auto terrano the plate in the engine bay has lots of figures without any letters to explain what the numbers are . The highest number is 4180 which is probably the Gross Train Weight?

There are usually four weights

1. Front axle max weight

2. rear axle max weight

3. Gross vehicle max weight

4. Gross train max weight

Brian

Blimey! I just checked my A4 Cabriolet and the GTW is plated as 3800kg!!! :o

I'd best get some sticker before land in France on May 9th! :(

But it still looks like a nippy sport car with the roof off!!!! :lol:

Turned many a head in France when they see it pulling the 7. 18 metre Bailey (especially on the odd occasion we tow with the roof off!!!!). :D

P. S. Best revise my journey times as well if I can't do over 56mph (90kph)!!

P. P. S. Oh! What a dreadful thought having to sit behind all those lorries that I can normally cruise past at 60mph!! :(

Edited by chapmag

Evening all. Whilst I agree with Beejay, Fenester's post has me thinking. .....my outfit (old!) has no limit on it, but when I take my Citroen C6, with the same caravan, it's automatically limited to 90kph. Now, if I get Citroen to shave 180kgs off the maximum towing weight of the C6, it goes back to 130kph. (The caravan weighs 890kg!) Methinks that the makers of French cars should do their homework more. rolleyes.gif

It has been posted, elsewhere, that all caravan chassis have a design speed of 100 kph. Checking my caravan handbook it states this quite clearly. What does yours say?

As most caravans are on Alko, BPW or Knott chassis it seems safe to assume that most caravans are affected.