Water Filters

rog

Hi.

Last year I fitted a new water filter and flushed it through. After 2 weeks away in the caravan we were still getting tiny particles of carbon settle in a glass of water. Is this normal or was it a dodgy filter? The cost of a replacement Whale filter is £24. 00 After many years of caravanning with and without kids but without a filter we never had any problems with bad water or tummy bugs etc. As long as the water container and pipes are sterilised well do we really need this consumable ? Do any of you by-pass the filter or do you think the water tastes better or is safer and replace the filter every year ?

Rog

Hi Rog

We don't actually drink any of the water that has come through the caravan water system.

Like you we sterilise everything on a regular basis but we felt years ago that the water always had a 'caravan taste' to it.

We use bottled water and have been known to re-fill them on occasions.

Pete.

Hi Rog

We don't actually drink any of the water that has come through the caravan water system.

Like you we sterilise everything on a regular basis but we felt years ago that the water always had a 'caravan taste' to it.

We use bottled water and have been known to re-fill them on occasions.

Pete.

1761[/snapback]

I dont use the water without putting it through my brita filter first - I too didnt like the taste of the water - and find the brita very helpful - plus its cheaper than buying bottled water !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I do the same and hence the caravan filter is redundant. The replacement cost of the inline filter of £24 ( I was quoted the same price!) is extortionate - you can buy loads of Brita filters for that.

Brian

The cost of a replacement Whale filter is £24. 00

We too don't drink the water from the van taps. Kettle is filled from a two litre can and bottled water is kept in the fridge for drinking. However, there is no need to pay fancy prices for new filters. Look at www. filtapac. co. uk They do recharge packs for both types of filter. I've used them both and can recommend them.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi.

Last year I fitted a new water filter and flushed it through. After 2 weeks away in the caravan we were still getting tiny particles of carbon settle in a glass of water. Is this normal or was it a dodgy filter? The cost of a replacement Whale filter is £24. 00  After many years of caravanning with and without kids but without a filter we never had any problems with bad water or tummy bugs etc. As long as the water container and pipes are sterilised well do we really need this consumable ? Do any of you by-pass the filter or do you think the water tastes better or is safer and replace the filter every year ?

Rog

1735[/snapback]

Wow! I must admit all this water filtering business can cost some pretty serious money. My van is fitted with a Carver system and i felt that £10 for a replacement cartridge was bad enough. ...but £24??.....YIKES!!!

If plumbing systems in modern day Caravans are not up to handling common tap water in the UK, then its a pretty sad state of affairs.

I live in a very hard water area and have a Gaggia Coffee Machine at home. These machines will not work unless all tap water is filtered and a descalant used on a regular basis. But the pipe work and boiler is extremely small, hence it will suffer very quickly from untreated hard water use.

Is there really any need for Caravans to be fitted with these Filter systems which in some cases seem to be extortionately overpriced.

Paul

Hi.

Last year I fitted a new water filter and flushed it through. After 2 weeks away in the caravan we were still getting tiny particles of carbon settle in a glass of water. Is this normal or was it a dodgy filter? The cost of a replacement Whale filter is £24. 00  After many years of caravanning with and without kids but without a filter we never had any problems with bad water or tummy bugs etc. As long as the water container and pipes are sterilised well do we really need this consumable ? Do any of you by-pass the filter or do you think the water tastes better or is safer and replace the filter every year ?

Rog

1735[/snapback]

Hi rog,

yes 24 pounds bit rich, i had my carver mk1 pinched last year and they left me the screws got shock when i tried to replace it cost 35 quid to patch up on site with a sorry sir not available anymore.

so ended up with new van this year . use bottle water for drinks .

paul. brz

hi all :D

i agree with you the filters are a rip off the last 3 all burst letting the carbon out it won't do you any harm to take it in my even help the good lady sleep as it will help with wind in areas that im not going into. :huh:

so iv'e removed the filter and use water without it as most water in the van is boiled its not a problem plus if the system is sterilized including butt with miltons no harm will come to you. :)

british water is one of the safest water in the world don't taste nice neat best with a good whiskey. :P

john B)

Our old Elddis was fitted with a Crystal Filter, requiring changing every year. What a pain! What a cost!

Our year old Lunar Lexon wasn't fitted with a filter at new and we haven't bothered to add one as an afterfit. What we have got into the habit of doing is giving the water barrel a swish around with Milton once every 2 weeks and running a weak solution through the system every 6 weeks or so. The caravan is in use most weekends throughout the year. We don't suffer 'tainted' water and we haven't gone down with any serious illnesses!! Got to take in some'bugs' to maintain your resistance.

When abroad with the caravan we boil up any required drinking water and top up recently used 'spring' water bottles for out days.

Until the Avondale last year we never had a filter . . just kept a couple of bits of copper pipe in the water jack and, except for winter, kept the water system full of water (ie keep air out) never had any problems . . with the Avondale & now the Compass, have had bad taste after draining down the system . . wont do it anymore . .

If my dog can drink from muddu pools and not throw up at either end, I reckon ordinary water in the caravan is fine . . don't go the bottled route . . caravanning is expensive enough these days without having to buy tap water in containers

Sometimes we use a filter but sometimes not. We have a Crystal 2 which we re-charge witha filter from www. filtapac. co. uk at about £4 a go or an empty one for flushing. We have never had carbon particles,using these fter the first flush. They also do re-chargeable in-line filters at not much more initial oulay than a Whale - then cheaper.

Most of the Crystal 2 and 3 are plumbed in to filter ALL of the water. It is a simple task to re-plumb to only filter the cold. However, an in-line filter can be positioned to only filter the kitchen sink cold supply.

Usually we use bottled water for tea as we are used to the water at home (jug-filtered) but site water for cooking.

Archived