Any Vintage Avondale Perle Owners Out There

Hi

Has anyone got info on a 1985 avondale perle 4 berth

Im a gran who has bought a sound clean van for the children to enjoy this summer.

Its a 1985 model and Ive a hand written note which says its 14 1/2 ft and 12. 5 cwt

Im wanting to check its weight in kilos to see if I can tow it with a 1400 diesal fiat grande punto if its not fully laden

I think it converts to under 1000kg and if so what car tow. com indicates its a match to tow

I would be grateful for any help

cheers

bonnielass

Hi - 12. 1/2 cwt equates to 635 kgs so it is a very light van. That could be the weight as it left the factory so an all up weight could be around 150 kgs heavier - say 800 kgs. And then 800 kgs gives a minimum kerb weight of the towing car as 1000kgs (for a 80% match). Hope this rough calculation works for you.

Edited by WispMan

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi

Im a gran who has bought a sound clean van for the children to enjoy this summer.

Its a 1985 model and Ive a hand written note which says its 14 1/2 ft and 12. 5 cwt

Im wanting to check its weight in kilos to see if I can tow it with a 1400 diesal fiat grande punto if its not fully laden

I think it converts to under 1000kg and if so what car tow. com indicates its a match to tow

cheers

bonnielass

Hi BonnieLass,

Welcome to Caravan Talk.

If your caravan is 14' 6" long then it should be an Oympus model, either a DD, available as a 4, 5, or 6 berth, or the EK that was available as a 4 berth only. However the ex-works weight for DD is 13. 85cwt (705Kgs) and the EK is 13. 78cwt (700Kgs). The Max weight for both models is 16. 73cwt (850Kgs).

The only other 4 berth in the 1985 Perle range is the Argos, ULW=12. 99cwt (660Kgs) and MGW=16. 24cwt (825Kgs). The figures quoted are for the Supreme models that were slightly heavier than the Classics that had less onboard equipment. See the pictures below, and if you have the Classic, I can post the weights for that too.

Kind regards,

Gordon.

1985_Perles.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Glad to help.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• 1 year later...

Hello I contact you, because we have bought ourselves a caravan perle avondale of 2 squares of the second hand, two months ago, but we have a small child and we need to do him at least one more bed for my baby (2 years),we are from Malaga, Andalucia, Spain, here we do not find models as ours to see the inside for if they have done some type of reform to him, I would like if it is possible me send some photos of the inside of your caravan, because I have seen that is of berths, to see if the modemos to do a reform to make her similarl or if it knows someone that the beech reformed, so if it is possible and they were sending theirs photos, would be grateful for it to him very much, Thank you very much and I wait for his prompt news, Regards. Michael.

P. S. Excuse me but my English is not very good. Thank you

Hi

cheers

bonnielass

Hello I contact you, because we have bought ourselves a caravan perle avondale of 2 squares of the second hand, two months ago, but we have a small child and we need to do him at least one more bed for my baby (2 years),we are from Malaga, Andalucia, Spain, here we do not find models as ours to see the inside for if they have done some type of reform to him, I would like if it is possible me send some photos of the inside of your caravan, because I have seen that is of berths, to see if the modemos to do a reform to make her similarl or if it knows someone that the beech reformed, so if it is possible and they were sending theirs photos, would be grateful for it to him very much, Thank you very much and I wait for his prompt news, Regards. Michael.

P. S. Excuse me but my English is not very good. Thank you

Here are two pictures of the 1985 Avondale Perle interiors, taken from the sales brochure.

1985PerleInterior1.jpg

1985PerleInterior2.jpg

What model of caravan do you have? Please see the layouts below.

1985PerleLayouts.jpg

Gordon.

Hello Gordon, first of all thank you very much for answering, the model of our caravan is a perle avondale 1990 but according to the drawings that us the inside distribution has sent it is the same that the model Perle Orestes. Believe you who will be able to do some modification to him in the inside to be able to put a bed or berth for our child?. Waiting for his prompt news, receive a greeting, Thank you very much for you help. Michael

Here are two pictures of the 1985 Avondale Perle interiors, taken from the sales brochure.

post-6-0-71721800-1308037972_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-08487400-1308037984_thumb.jpg

What model of caravan do you have? Please see the layouts below.

post-6-0-04002500-1308037993_thumb.jpg

Gordon.

Orestes6.jpg

This is the interior of a 1985 Orestes. As you can see there is very little room to add a child's bunk bed. The wardrobe even has a cut-away base to allow for the standard front bed. The only real option with a caravan this size, is an additional mattress or Li-Lo on the floor.

Gordon.

Orestes2a.jpg

Hello Gordon, I am grateful to him very much for the help that has given me. I have an idea, in my head, which I am extracting of many different models see if I carry out her so already I will contact again you, and I him will send photos if I still have the caravan. Thank you very much and shortly we will contact again. Regards, Michael

post-6-0-43451900-1308127137_thumb.jpg

This is the interior of a 1985 Orestes. As you can see there is very little room to add a child's bunk bed. The wardrobe even has a cut-away base to allow for the standard front bed. The only real option with a caravan this size, is an additional mattress or Li-Lo on the floor.

Gordon.

post-6-0-96367900-1308127454_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...

Hello, I have an Avondale Perle Orestes caravan, model number 5830927.  Having done some research I think it was made around 1985.  I am trying to establish the value of it so that I can insure it.  It's in very good condition, and I am currently re-vamping the interior and putting in a wood burning stove.  Would anyone have any idea of how much it would be worth?...Thank you

8 minutes ago, PMcP said:

Hello, I have an Avondale Perle Orestes caravan, model number 5830927.  Having done some research I think it was made around 1985.  I am trying to establish the value of it so that I can insure it.  It's in very good condition, and I am currently re-vamping the interior and putting in a wood burning stove.  Would anyone have any idea of how much it would be worth?...Thank you

If you are putting a wood burning stove into a caravan, I doubt you'll get insurance for it. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

A touring caravan is not built or strong enough to put a wood burner stove in them, and it would be a huge fire risk as well as then being uninsurable.

So, how much is it worth now.....about £1000

When the refurb is finished with a wood burner...£0.

Also not forgetting the post is over 10 years old. The OP and Miguelcm haven't been back for some considerable time.
Always best to check the age of the topic before submitting a reply

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

15 hours ago, PMcP said:

In my personal experience, the 2nd and 3rd digits of the Avondale serial number gives the year of manufacture. My Wren had the number 481xxxx (1981). Are you intending to take it out on the road or is it to be a garden "ornament"? 

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2020 at 18:55, JanandJay said:

If you are putting a wood burning stove into a caravan, I doubt you'll get insurance for it. 

Thank you for your reply