Sign in to follow this  
Tourershine

Iphone Spirit Level Application

I use a pair of Lambilevels screwed to the front chest of draws; don't think you can get them any more. If we're arriving after dark I leave a reading light on to shine on them.

The one I referred to about being careful of was "ihandy level free", absolutely useless . !

I have just got "BLevelFree" which includes a Calibration mode to run through which sets it up level to start with, cannot get it to bleep though

Press the 'i' on the screen and you can switch the beep on and off!

nice call nigel for the people who are iphone deprived

:)

and by useing one of the above, you can still make or recieve calls on your phone, Oops isnt that what they are for :blink:

As a builder I have used iPhone levels a bit and use it occasionally with the van but I can't see its any better than my 50p 6" level from a boot sale, put it on the gutter above the front windows and bottom side rail to get a level. Takes seconds. And btw I'm a bit of an iPhone nerd and have an app for every thing so it's not an anti techie thing.

I've been caravanning for years (although admittedly I've only recently returned to it) and I've yet to find fault with the 'step back a few paces and use your eyes' method of levelling. What is this fascination with having the van level to the exact degree. I don't believe anyone can tell if the van is a few degrees out of level whilst lying in bed . .. but perhaps I'm the odd one out!

By the way, I'm an Iphone fan but sceptical about the level app as it seems to need recalibrating too often and consequently I place my faith in a traditional 'bubble'

Edited by mw3230

We just use the light cord in our end washroon as a plumbline, no need for any form of high tech wizardry like a spirit level!

I don't believe anyone can tell if the van is a few degrees out of level whilst lying in bed . .. but perhaps I'm the odd one out!

Must admit with our old Lunar Freelander II the fixed bed was always out ! We used to level the van with a spirit level but still the bed seemed wrong, After a year I leveled the van at home, then checked the bed base & discoverred it was 8cm higher on one side than the other . It had been built totally p*****.

This one looks handy for the satellite finders

Musical levels are made and I got one some years ago from a man with a box full at Wellesbourne market@ £1 each

We got to the site in our new (to us) caravan and I realised it didn't have a spirit level on it like the last one.

So I left the side to side levelling as it was on hardstanding so should be fairly level and I levelled the jockey wheel by eye until it looked good. I then checked that water ran away whilst I was filling the water which it did so I was happy.

It then later occured to me that I had seen spirit level apps on my old phone, so I went on the android market and found a free spirit level, and tried it on the kitchen worktop, it was pretty much dead on level.

But to be honest providing the water drains I'd have been happy

Expensive spirit level(if you don't have an i-phone) :huh: We use a cheap spirit level on the mat inside the door, easy to turn it through 90 degrees to check both ways.

Usually check if we need levelling ramps before unhitching!If space permits. (Or use motor mover!)

I do like the idea of the switch cord in the bathroom

-- what better and simpler method

-- Built in by the caravan manufacturers as well

-- better not tell them or they will be adding bits to it and charging us more!!!

-- good enough for the Egyptians to build the pyramids

-- so I think the plumb line should be OK for a caravan. .

Maurice

As everyone forgot the half filled saucer of water on top of the chest of drawers behind the front window??? It is 100% accurate and far, far cheaper than an Iphone!

Granted - but you can't make phone calls, browse t'internet, take photo's, play games or listen to music with a saucer ;) ;)

Thanks for the reminder to download it! I had it with our other caravan but since then upgraded to the iPhone 4. .

So the new version of the app bleeps? What a cool feature!

Thanks for posting this!

i have never been really technacally minded, but my spirit level also has an audible feature, when the bubble in my level is in the right place, our old lass shouts 'thats it ':D

Edited by oldowl

Anyone used the sat finder app?

Does it need to be in contact with the internet?

Going to France and do not fancy paying those hefty roaming charges!!!

Cheers

Bob

friends of mine have i phones (i have htc) and they use one called freesat its free and even works on ipod, martin