Sign in to follow this  
Tourershine

Iphone Spirit Level Application

Any caravanner that has an iPhone must try this app!!

It's free to download and the new version has an audio bleep that tells you when your level.

I just place my phone on the kitchen surface of the caravan, face down so it's flat. Then adjust the caravan until I hear the bleep.

Far better than running in and out the caravan to check with a level.

I am sure there must be normal spirit levels on the market with this bleep feature. Just thought it was a great tip.

I just use a 2-way cheapie from a pound store siliconed to the A bar cover. Works for me.

That's exactly what I used to use, but found my Aframe cover was not plumb and always leaned very slightly. You never notice the lean till you go to bed.

If you are using the same free app that I am then there is a problem :- beside the "Hold" button there is a small square with a firing site type mark on it . Put your Iphone on a slope then press that little square which calibrates it to say it is level on a slope !

It's free to download and the new version has an audio bleep that tells you when your level.

I just place my phone on the kitchen surface of the caravan, face down so it's flat. Then adjust the caravan until I hear the bleep.

I am sure there must be normal spirit levels on the market with this bleep feature. Just thought it was a great tip.

Exactly which app did you get, there is a long list of spirit level apps.

Exactly which app did you get, there is a long list of spirit level apps.

The one I referred to about being careful of was "ihandy level free", absolutely useless . !

I have just got "BLevelFree" which includes a Calibration mode to run through which sets it up level to start with, cannot get it to bleep though

Edited by colinicky

Mine is the ihandy level and I have never had any problems with it.

Just checked it with a normal spirit level and it's perfect.

Just out of interest where is the best place to put the spirit level i phone or other. I place a small 2 way one on the worktop & if you move it to different places in that area you can guarantee a different reading in every place. I find opening the washroom or wardrobe door halfway good,if it doesnt move either way you are about on the mark.

Edited by stuey

AFAIK the ihandy you have to use a level surface to calibrate it with, the BLevel you put it on a surface press calibrate then rotate it 180 degrees & press calibrate again it then averages the 2 to calibrate itself .

Edited by colinicky

I always put my phone on the kitchen work top. I checked it against my bed slats when the bed was pulled out and they are both the same.

I wonder if caravan manufactures will ever fit audio levels into caravans, afteral it is an important part of setting the van up.

We use the small 2 way level & put it on worktop above the fridge, we have the offside & the front of the van slightly higher so the shower drains easily :)

Sandra tells me when its ok

What is wrong with a cuppa tea*, best thing is you drink the tea once its level.

* For legal purposes beer must be used after noon!!!

The one I referred to about being careful of was "ihandy level free", absolutely useless . !

I have just got "BLevelFree" which includes a Calibration mode to run through which sets it up level to start with, cannot get it to bleep though

Ihandy has a calibration option, just calibrate at home on a know level surface and it is fine. I carry a real level too but the audible alarm is more reliable than a bored 10 year old son!! Just make sure you use the straightside of the iPhone or iTouch opposite the volume button as this will not give a true reading.

As everyone forgot the half filled saucer of water on top of the chest of drawers behind the front window??? It is 100% accurate and far, far cheaper than an Iphone!

As everyone forgot the half filled saucer of water on top of the chest of drawers behind the front window??? It is 100% accurate and far, far cheaper than an Iphone!

True, but I didn't buy the Iphone for the spirit level application. However as I already have an Iphone why not get a free application for it? I love the idea of the buzzing as I don't have anyone else to go and check whether things are level whilst I am outside doing the levelling.

That's exactly what I used to use, but found my Aframe cover was not plumb and always leaned very slightly. You never notice the lean till you go to bed.

I calibrated it by using a conventional spirit level to get the van level in the first place, then adjusted the position of the 2-way level till it showed the same.

[/quote

So thats the reason I keep rolling out of bed. .. biggrin.gif

StevenJ

I calibrated it by using a conventional spirit level to get the van level in the first place, then adjusted the position of the 2-way level till it showed the same.

I have a two way level stuck to the window sill with blue tac, so it can be seen when standing at the jockey wheel.

I levelled the van up with a builders level on the floor, then stuck down the two way with three small balls of blue tac, so I could "calibrate" it. That had to be done from outside the van, through the open window, because it looks different inside and outside because of the angle.

Hi. What a great idea.

At the moment I use a two way level screwed under the sliding front table but will be using the Iphone app in future.

What a great phone it is !

"One day all mobile phones will be made this way" now where have I heard that before ? :rolleyes:

Thats fab tourershine. Good when you are setting up on yer own!!!!

It does make things alot easyier. Saves running back and forth to check the level.

Sorry I dont understand all this running about?

I firstly level fore an aft with a £2 spirit level pre-adjusted and fixed exactly horizontal in the gas box . ..under my nose. I then use the vertical side of the caravan for side to side levelling, above the wheel I am winding up with my leveller. Another good reason for using a leveller.

I dont have an iphone, I have an ipad but I wouldnt countenance using it (a £600 computer!) to level things.

I was fitting new guttering along one side of my home yesterday. If I dropped my long spirit level once, I must have dropped it 5 times and had to climb down the ladder to retrieve it.

I suppose if I used the ipad I would have saved a lot of time 'upping and downing'... as I would only have dropped it once. :rolleyes:

Edited by ericfield

There is also a similar app for android, 'Spirit level Pro' great app. ....

I use a 30 cm steel builders level.

We use the door cill for the for and aft alignment

and the cupboard top just in side the door for side to side level.

These are both built "square on" when the van is built.

We have not had any problems in rolling out of bed yet -- Kicked out yes!!! :D

Maurice