Caravaning In Holland

Hi all

I am looking to go on holiday in Holland this summer I hear that Holland is a good place to go.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on ware to stay!!

How to travel there (train, ferry) which is the best? I have only had my caravan for one season and my longest journey was 100 miles!!

Wot sites are the best?

And most important is there any special insurance I need or any special things I need to take with me?

Wot about break down cover does May Day cover me abroad?

Thanks I hope is someone out there who can help me

Half a job harry B)B)

Holland is an excellent place to go on holiday. As far as crossings Dover -Calais is fairly easy, ferry or train. From where you are based Harwich-Hook of Holland might be worth considering. Delft would be worth considering as a place to stay, it is around 200 miles from Calais.

A lot of people in Holland speak excellent English and from a social graces point of view the Dutch are the Europeans that are most like the English, even had somebody in a supermarket say sorry for bumping into me!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I agree with you David.

Holland's an excellent choice for a holiday, and in the summer, most of the Dutch are on holiday out of the Netherlands judging by the number of NL plates seen further south.

Certainly the Hague area is worthy of visiting as is the area just north around Rijnsburg and Leiden. Camping Koningshof comes to mind as a good site in that area (they have a website that I'm sure would show on a search) and perfect English is spoken. Details below if you are interested. Also if you have bikes, take them as you can measure the hill heights in inches!!!

Regards,

Gordon.

Contact the owner, Flip Kromhout

Camping Koningshof

Elsgeesterweg 8

2231 NW Rijnsburg - Holland

Tel: 071-4026051

Fax: 071-4021336

e mail: info@koningshofholland. nl

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Others have covered the first part of your query better than I can but check your ducuments.

Apart from obvious passports you will need:-

E111 for each family member (new this year) - that's your health cover under EU regs.

Holiday insurance - if you go regularly an annual cover would work out cheaper. Some banks e. g. Lloyds Platinum account give free annual cover at no cost.

Check your car insurance covers you for towing and tell them you are going abroad.

Obtain an accident report form from your insurance Co. In the event of accident both drivers fill in one of these.

Check your breakdown cover for Europe.

Take your driving licence (both parts) and car log book.

Check out Nationwide bank cards for commission-free drawings abroad.

Tell your bank you are going abroad as they sometimes put a stop on cards without warning when they see unusual or heavy drawings.

Red warning triangle (for breakdown). 1 or 2 (Spain requires 2 and a yellow jacket a la emergency workers)

Spare set of car/caravan bulbs (It may be an offence not to carry one - it is in France)

Headlight deflectors to convert to driving on the right (insulating tape is an adequate and cheap substitute)

A continental adaptor for your mains hookup. All caravan accessory shops sell them.

Either enought Calor gas for your holiday or Camping Gaz as Calor is not available as exchange abroad (It's the same Gas) I now only use Camping Gaz as the bottles are smaller, lighter and easily available abroad.

Camping Carnets were a good substitute for handing in your passport on site.

Does anyone know who does these now?

It's not as daunting as it sounds (and I may have forgotten something).

Hi Harry,

I can also recommend Delftse Hout as an excellent campsite and further to advice given by Klyne, the Harwich - Hook crossing is superb if the sailing time (5-6 hrs) doesn't bother you. The day crossing includes buffet style (help yourself to as much as you like) breakfast and lunch and each time we have used it, even at peak times, the ferry has been really quiet as it is used by trucks a lot - big vehicles, not many people.

At the moment Stena line are offering this crossing at £199 - usually £269, if you book before the end of January. Excellent value and all inclusive for car, caravan and 2 people, with no size restrictions. (Handy for me because I'm big!

Camping Carnets were a good substitute for handing in your passport on site.

Does anyone know who does these now?

1741[/snapback]

Carnets are available through the AA, RAC, CC, C&CC, select sites etc etc.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.