Sign in to follow this  
klyne

Umwelt Plakette - Environmental Badge For Germany

David it is less to do with emissions as such! But as we normally take the MGF when we visit Germany (don't need a caravan relatives put us up!) and that gets a green sticker so no problems in towns, it also easier to parktongue.gif

It's to do with particulates not CO2. Basically, engines are rated Euro 1 to Euro 4 and the sticker reflects this.

Received my Umwelt Plakette this morning. It's a green one with the figure 4 and VRN endorsed on it. The ordering process was extremely easy. I don't when we will use it, possibly September time, but now we have it we are ready for the German cities. Thanks David (Klyne) for info etc.

Received my Umwelt Plakette this morning. It's a green one with the figure 4 and VRN endorsed on it. The ordering process was extremely easy. I don't when we will use it, possibly September time, but now we have it we are ready for the German cities. Thanks David (Klyne) for info etc.

Gordon

I was very surprised how easy it was and how quick. They must be a bit bemused by all these English people applying for the stickers! Are you thinking of foresaking the South of France this year?

David

David - Have no firm plans at present for hols this year. Am currently hors d'combat having being diagnosed with a DVT just before Christmas, so everything is currently on hold until the problem is cleared up. What this has meant is that we have had to cancel our winter excursion down to Benidorm for a few weeks. I have ideas that I would like to visit the Ardeche later in the year, but we also have good German friends in Hemer (Iserlohn) who want us to visit, hence applying for the Plakette, but a return trip to Potsdam & Berlin also has some appeal. Decisions, decisions.

Gordon

We are planning to cross Germany from Belgium into Austria. We will only be in Germany for about 6 days and have no plans to drive into any cities. However I have noticed that the motorways do go through cities or skirt around them. Do you need one of these Umwelt Plakette stickers if you are only on motorways?

I see I am going to end up with a collection of stickers all over the windscreen and then I will get stopped for having an obscured vision. :)

We are planning to cross Germany from Belgium into Austria. We will only be in Germany for about 6 days and have no plans to drive into any cities. However I have noticed that the motorways do go through cities or skirt around them. Do you need one of these Umwelt Plakette stickers if you are only on motorways?

I see I am going to end up with a collection of stickers all over the windscreen and then I will get stopped for having an obscured vision. :)

Pete

Its the City Centres they are trying to protect. You won't need one for main autobahns.

David

Nor villages and normal German roads PLUS there is a sign when entering the "protected" area - most towns you can drive around without a problem but as David says avoid city centres.

You will need a motorway sticker for Austria.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Beejay - yes I know that I need a vignette in Austria. At least I can get a 10 day one and do not need one for the van as well unlike Switzerland.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Beejay - yes I know that I need a vignette in Austria. At least I can get a 10 day one and do not need one for the van as well unlike Switzerland.

I know this is slightly off topic, but Pete if you are on Austrian motorways also look here at the speed limits.

http://66. 102. 9. 132/...1&hl=en&ct=clnk

My A6 and Sterling Onyx add up to a Max Gross Train Weight of 3760kg so I have to observe the lower speed limit, and beware the Austrian Police as they are pretty tight on speeding and have hidden speed traps.

John.

Thanks John

Speed limit information does seem to vary on different websites so I am going to start a new thread on it.

Just found another link where it is even cheaper! https://www. berlin. de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette. shop. en. php I think this is a similar link to that posted by Beejay some posts ago but you can now do this electronically it seems.

David

Just found another link where it is even cheaper! https://www. berlin. d. ..tte. shop. en. php I think this is a similar link to that posted by Beejay some posts ago but you can now do this electronically it seems.

David

Very good, informative site, David. Danke schön ;)

Just found another link where it is even cheaper! https://www. berlin. de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette. shop. en. php I think this is a similar link to that posted by Beejay some posts ago but you can now do this electronically it seems.

David

Thanks for the information David.

They have just returned the disk for my Hyundai Terracan 2. 9cc. 4x4. 222 Co2 and guess what, they have given me a green disk !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The suggestion at work is that they want to keep foreign tourists happy :D

Hi all together,

don´t spend your money for a german "Umweltplakette" / Environmental Badge from some expensive and/or dubious internet offers!! Some of them looks like "offical sites" but most of them are NOT!

Here in Germany it is a decission of every single community, to have zones where a sticker is needed or not. The stickers themselves are the same all over Germany.

Once in germany, you can get the correct sticker for your car at nearly every car service!!! Maybe try best at a greater one. Price is about 5,- EUR (4,50 GBP). They also know and verify, what colour of sticker (green, yellow, red) you are allowed to show with your car. The sticker is only needed for motor-vehicles not for trailers. You will not need a sticker outside bigger cities. Only most of the bigger cities have such zones at this time. So there is realy absolute no reason to buy a sticker, if you only pass germany using motorways or state roads (maybe for travelling to italy).

There is a english written link with more official infos about this from our Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety

http://www. bmu. de/en. ..n/doc/40740. php

If you prefer to order a sticker before coming to Germany: the link that Klyne posted 3 posts before is a offical one (site owned by the city of Berlin)!!

Hope this helps - if you have questions . .. feel free. ....

Added: dont worry, if your petrol car is a make before 1993 (= no sticker offered). For example, there are lots of older Mercedes with a green sticker, as these models are listed as better than emmission level EURO1. So a lot of other cars are too!! Maybe ask at the british and/or german manufacturer service site for your car!

Edited by BavarianStatesman

I was going to buy an Umvelt Plakette earlier in the year but did not round to it. However I have now bought one from the Berlin site given by David https://www. berlin. de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette. shop. en. php and found it easy and inexpensive at €6. It arrived within a week, so I would recommend the site.

I got a nice green one with a large number 4 on it and my car registration, no vehicle details. I suppose a cheapskate with a personalised number plate could keep it for life. ;)

Gordon

I was going to buy an Umvelt Plakette earlier in the year but did not round to it. However I have now bought one from the Berlin site given by David https://www. berlin. d. ..tte. shop. en. php and found it easy and inexpensive at €6. It arrived within a week, so I would recommend the site.

I got a nice green one with a large number 4 on it and my car registration, no vehicle details. I suppose a cheapskate with a personalised number plate could keep it for life. ;)

Gordon

Quite difficult as the plakette MUST be stuck to the glass and, once done cannot be removed as it is a security "self destruct" type.

A broken windscreen forced me to buy another. :(

BTW the instructions specify bottom right hand corner of windscreen ( i. e. footpath side on the continent to enable officials to inspect it easily)

Quite difficult as the plakette MUST be stuck to the glass and, once done cannot be removed as it is a security "self destruct" type.

A broken windscreen forced me to buy another. :(

BTW the instructions specify bottom right hand corner of windscreen ( i. e. footpath side on the continent to enable officials to inspect it easily)

Thanks beejay. I was talking to a German friend on Skype last night and he was laughing at the possibility of getting one over on the authorities. I know it's only €6 but the idea tickled him. Keeping your number plate from car to car isn't possible in Germany and he says most Germans just see the Umvelt Plakette as another form of taxation. He gave all sorts of statistics and exclusions as to why it was a nonsense, but at the end of the day I just want to abide by the rules and have a quiet life. :)

Gordon

hi all, got my plaquette from Berlin.

went to Berlin web site.

€6. 00 inc postage

does anyone know if it has to stuck to screen, at present mine is in a tax holder.

and i have my own plate.

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

rodders if you go back to Beejays post on 5th August he states that the Plakette must be stuck straight onto the Glass to be valid.

hi all, got my plaquette from Berlin.

went to Berlin web site.

€6. 00 inc postage

does anyone know if it has to stuck to screen, at present mine is in a tax holder.

and i have my own plate.

cheers rodders B)

On one of the webpages it shows the sticker of the, UK, drivers side so the opposite side to your VED disc. When I have been in Germany thats where everyone puts it. Have a look at this picture http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/Eurotunnel. jpg

David

I was going to buy an Umvelt Plakette earlier in the year but did not round to it. However I have now bought one from the Berlin site given by David https://www. berlin. d. ..tte. shop. en. php and found it easy and inexpensive at €6. It arrived within a week, so I would recommend the site.

Gordon

As someone who is not exactly computer literate, can you tell me how you send a copy of your registration form to the German website.

Steve W

As someone who is not exactly computer literate, can you tell me how you send a copy of your registration form to the German website.

Steve W

Steve

What I did was to scan my V5 and saved as a jpeg on my desktop. The webpage allows you to upload the file.

David

Steve W

Hi Steve.

I used a scanner to get a digital copy of the first two sides of my V5 and I think the website allowed me to include the images as an attachment to my application. Sorry I cannot be more specific than this as I cannot remember the website I used for my application.

I had my plakette within about a week.

John.

Thanks for the timely reminders :lol: Our new car comes home within the next few days and we hope to go off to Germany in February for mother-in-laws 96 birthday so I had better get things going.

Edited by TedNewman