New To Caravanning

michpiggy

We are worse than the kids at the moment we are so excited :D

We are due to take delivery of our caravan in march in time for Easter we have been told. :)

We have never had a caravan before and cant wait. :D

We have three kids aged 14,11 and 6.

What things are a must and what things are just a waist of time.

As we have never had a caravan what things are we to expect and how long does it really take to put up the awning

Any advise for you would be great.

Many thanks Michelle

Hello Michelle. Regarding the awning: I would suggest that you remove all of the zip-in panels whilst you thread the roof section thro the awning rail. You then have less canvas to handle. You may also spray awning-rail lubricant into the rail before you start. (some people use Pledge furniture polish). I suppose the best things we have bought for the caravan include: Reich mover, aquaroll, and a wastemaster. We have had a caravan since 1968, with three kids (all in nappies), in the early days with no hot water, gas-lights and no mains. We now go-it alone, although my daughter has a caravan(and 3 kids).

Enjoy it, best pastime for families.

Hi Michelle

I have to say that the best money I spent was on a Caravan Club towing course. New to caravanning myself it gave me no end of confidence, not just in reversing etc but in loading, hitching, basic maintenance and road craft.

Anyone can tell you what you should and shouldn't buy for your van but for me the safety of my kids, me and the outfit was at the top of my list.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Michelle,

Suggest you download "A Beginners Guide to Tourer Caravanning" from the Caravan Club and read it from cover to cover. It tells you all you need to know and is available to non members.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/Practical+Hel. ..ing/default. htm

I also recommend you join the Caravan Club as the sites are excellent.

Brian