Sign in to follow this  
vaughan

Quick Release Corner Steadies

Hi all

Quite a few years ago I went to an open weekend at the Carlight factory and they were demonstrating some quick release corner steadies. To release the leg you just lifted a lever and the leg fell to the ground and then all you had to do was give it an extra turn with the spanner to secure it, to get the leg up you just reversed the operation. Has anyone else seen these and did they go into manufacture?

Vaughan

Sounds like a good idea but I would be concerned that they might quick release while towing! :blink:

Roger

It sounds such an obviously good idea that I would suspect there is a great flaw in the idea otherwise we would have seen these in action.

I wouldn't want to see these as I've just bought a new drill!!!

Carlight may have patented the idea, so unless AlKo or BPW feel the idea is worth the money, it may not make it into mainstream.

I understand the concept, but equally would wonder about the steady releasing unexpectedly. Besides, personally I don't have a problem with the wind down steady system - mainly because I get wife & child to do them for me!

Besides, personally I don't have a problem with the wind down steady system - mainly because I get wife & child to do them for me!

Wow Jonathan, I think you have just discovered "Semi Automatic corner steadies" :lol::lol::lol:

Steve

I thought of this idea just after I started caravanning and wondered back then if anyone had manufactured a quick release system. I would buy it if it was available.

Feel its complicating things for complications sake; sounds if the market felt the same as I have yet to see them used on caravans. Some motorhomes use a form of drop down steady but these dont appear in common caravan use either.

Did the drill bit but found even that mid market Bosch one quickly failed to hold charge, now resigned to using the handle. Its possibly less overall effort than in getting the drill out/putting it back, finding a mains source and charging the batteries etc, etc.

Hi all

Quite a few years ago I went to an open weekend at the Carlight factory and they were demonstrating some quick release corner steadies. To release the leg you just lifted a lever and the leg fell to the ground and then all you had to do was give it an extra turn with the spanner to secure it, to get the leg up you just reversed the operation. Has anyone else seen these and did they go into manufacture?

Vaughan

I've never seen anything like that but it sounds like the kind of thing which you might find on an upmarket van like a Carlight. It would not be so difficult to design something along those lines, perhaps utilising a 'half nut' arrangement as used on a woodworking vise but it would increase costs.

John.

when i was in australia visiting fam,. i was talking to fam,., friends who had a caravan, seems all thier vans have these fitted. i think thier vans look ugly. but inside the furniture is as strong as you get in your house. they have electric brakes and it seems you can tow anything with anything. the bloke i was talking to towed a van that was 1800 k. , before he put anything in it. he towed with hyandi santafee. ray.

ALKO do have a quick release system as you can see on their video.

http://alko. com. au/n. ..adies-axles. php

Those look brilliant - I want a set!

They seem to be listed on this page: http://alko. com. au/v. ..s/steadies. html

DropDownCornerSteady.JPG

Part no. 654859 Premium Drop Down with Big Foot fitted Zinc Plated 590mm

Part no. 654874 Premium Drop Down with Big Foot fitted Zinc Plated 740mm

Anyone know if they're available in the UK? And can they be retrofitted to an existing Alko chassis?

what happens when you are on a sloping pitch and one end is near the ground. I dont feel that it would be so sturdy then

what happens when you are on a sloping pitch and one end is near the ground. I dont feel that it would be so sturdy then

. ..Now that sounds like a pragmatic thought and worthy of consideration. ........

I have not even got around to using a drill yet!

geoff

The steady can be swung from the horizontal travelling position to different angles including the optimum position of vertical.

Are they available in the UK as well as Aus?

Edited by ericfield

Some years ago we had an American Coleman Trailer Tent (the sort with the wind-up hard top).

That had quick release corner steadies. You simply pressed a button on the side of them to swing them down into the vertical position, then you pulled the leg down, it was on a ratchet. To tighten them further you put a tommy bar into the steady and stood on the end to lower it further.

To fold them up, you released the pressure on them by pressing down on the ratchet mechanism with your foot, then pressed the button on the side to fold them up again. Whole job took just a couple of minutes. Only problem with them was that it involved a bit of grovelling under the corner to release the steadies.

You can still buy them:

http://www. campervanaccessories. co. uk/camper-caravan-jacks-corner-steadies-pair-55cm-p-187. html?osCsid=6715e5189c71a71704d908c7ac8eef3c

Wow Jonathan, I think you have just discovered "Semi Automatic corner steadies" :lol::lol::lol:

Steve

Shame that their levelling skills sometimes leave a little to be desired. I've even promised them the socket for the electric drill for Christmas ;)

EDIT: Just reslised, don't military Sankey trailers have a version of a QR steady, basically a tubular leg held vertically by a screw type clamp?? Ugly as sin, but immensely practical IMHO.

Edited by JonathanM

Alko used to make a two speed version of the standard heavy duty ones in the UK.

They were standard on Vanmaster, my last VM had them and they were excellent.

When I took delivery of the new VM I asked why they did not fit the two speed steadies and was told that as only VM had used them Alko stopped making them.

Ian

Sign in to follow this