Hal-Locate Renewal

lohr500

We are approaching the end of our first year's free Hal-locate subscription.

Hal-locate contacted my wife this week and quoted £150 for another years subscription or £200 for two years.

I contacted our current insurer(safeguard)who estimated that the discount for having the tracker on renewal of our twin axle Ace Supreme policy would be around £160.

We pay for the insurance in monthly instalments so the extra cost of the policy if we dropped the Hal-locate would be spread over the year.

On top of the Hal-locate subscription there are the monthly line rental costs and charges for SMS messages sent.

We may or may not keep the caravan into year three so the £200 offer has limited appeal.

I am tempted to call them and offer them £99 for a lifetime subscription which I think matches the system used by Bailey. I have no intention of touring overseas so the benefits of European tracking are of no relevance to me. If our caravan makes it to Europe before they track it down, then I don't think I would want it back anyway :)

Has anyone else tried negotiating a better deal and what success have you had?

I also wonder if there are any other systems out there along similar lines that could be self fit and provide the benefits/insurance discount without the annual cost?

Thanks

Hi lohr500,

I have been looking into doing the same as you suggest. I have found Snooper do a self monitored system called My-Track, costs about £220 but will need a power connection kit which includes a extention antenna for about £40. I'm not sure if it can be connected to the inbuilt caravan alarm, but I am prepared to accept it without that. It may be worthwhile googling to find a good deal? Of course you can move it to a new caravan when you change.

I hope this will help you?

Run silent, run deep - HM Submarines - Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Onslaught

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe CDX 2. 2 CRDT Auto / 2010 Swift Challenger 530

Thanks for that Oldsalt,

I'll do some searching on Snooper.

I wonder if it will qualify you for a discount on the insurance if it is self monitored?

I guess the Hal and Bailey Tracker systems are both using central monitoring and so are not reliant on the owner to trigger an alert.

But at £220 + £40 we would be self sufficient and not have the worry of the central monitoring company going out of business and leaving us with a worthless system!

HAL use the a very long established monitor company (the same as Tracker I believe) for their system so not likely to go bust - but you can never be certain!

I would doubt that the insurance companies give a discount on a self monitored monitored alarm other than the standard alarm discount.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi iohr500,

One GPS Tracker worth considering is the Metis, it is totally self monitored, you receive a text message if the tracker detects movement from it last location. You are able to track your caravan using Google Earth, you do not have rely on a third party monitoring your system. Towergate Bakers accept Metis as a tracker system and give 25% discount for it, I have asked! The system is £399, with no additional cost other than a fitting charge if you decide not to fit it yourself. Towsure sell them and you can see the advert on their web site link below -

http://www. towsure. com/product/16163-Metis_Caravan_Anti-Theft_GPS_Tracker

Also the Caravan Channel featured it on their programme in 2008, link below -

http://www. caravanchannel. co. uk/2008/players/metis. html

Run silent, run deep - HM Submarines - Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Onslaught

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe CDX 2. 2 CRDT Auto / 2010 Swift Challenger 530

I have fitted a personal tracker to my 'van - I do not get any insurance discount but then, it costs much less than many of the other systems. I regularly 'ask' for the location of the 'van, especially when we go away at the weekends and on the odd occasion when I have forgotten to 'unset' it before moving off I have had to endure repeated texts to say the caravan is on the move !! resulting in pulling over to cancel the setting !! System works for me.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

I guess if there is no insurance discount then a self monitored tracker has limited appeal to me.

As per my earlier post, for me, if someone steals our caravan and races off down the road, then I am not so sure I want it back. Especially if the tracker leads the police to it and a high speed chase then follows.

Some would say this is a selfish approach and premiums in general increase as a result of this attitude, but I do go to some considerable trouble to secure and imobilise the caravan when we are not using it. This includes an additional wireless motion sensor inside the van linked to our professional home alarm system.

If we were storing at a remote site over winter or spending lots of time away from home then I could see how a self monitored system would give peace of mind.

If you read your HAL renewal document you'll see there are no longer any line rental/text message charges . .. the whole package is now "inclusive" and at £200 for 2 years is a very good deal IMHO . .. which is why I've just renewed . . :)

Hello

I agree with the post above - I have renewed and the costs of text messages is included in the renewal price of £200. 00.

I receive about £110. 00 discount per year on my insurance as a result of the tracker.

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

• 9 years later...

"On top of the Hal-locate subscription there are the monthly line rental costs and charges for SMS messages sent." ?

I have had mine for 4 years now never had to any line rental or any costs for SMS messages and i use it to check battery level on a regular basis when van is in storage. Also just been on website to renew and its £130 for the year or £360 for 3 years. 

Edited by jaspo250
Additional information

I have a 2017 challenger 635 dealer special and only pay £240 a year for new for old full cover @ 25k value, I don't have a tracker fitted, It might be an idea to shop around for your insurance if your getting a 200 discount for the tracker as the insurance must be very steep to give that discount to start with.

My insurance said I would get around 40 off for the tracker but I already had the max discount applied for the other boxes I tick

Gold storage, 2 wheel locks ( not alko) hitch lock, ATC, alarm, Tyrone bands so the tracker wouldn't reduce the actual cost of the cover any more.

I'm with Shield insurance they are Dafatqo 5 star rated insurance cover.   

Danny

Even on my Motorhome I don't have a tracker as they will give 5% discount which is about £15 . It is in the insurance interest as they are the ones paying out not me so they should cover the costs if they want one ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

Even on my Motorhome I don't have a tracker as they will give 5% discount which is about £15 . It is in the insurance interest as they are the ones paying out not me so they should cover the costs if they want one ?

Dave

Agreed - the discount should at least match the cost of the subscription if it's to be of any benefit to the customer.

On 03/04/2019 at 12:01, jaspo250 said:

"On top of the Hal-locate subscription there are the monthly line rental costs and charges for SMS messages sent." ?

I have had mine for 4 years now never had to any line rental or any costs for SMS messages and i use it to check battery level on a regular basis when van is in storage. Also just been on website to renew and its £130 for the year or £360 for 3 years. 

We have the Phantom tracker and the annual subscription is less than £130.  We took out the 5 year subscription which worked out at a about £80 per annum.