Sign in to follow this  
Duffy

Caravan Brakes

Just put some banging tunes on the wireless and turn up the bass :)

I’ve found that Eminem on full blast cures squeaky brakes 

I do that with my Mazda as they squeak also but not as much.   Two different garages say there OK, been like it since new, now over 2 years old still the same.

AWS chap says the back of the shoe on mine was not properly contacting on the back part of the lining for around 5mm, I could see a dust line there, he used light sand paper on the shoe and cleaned out all the dust with brake cleaner, he also said that they no longer lubricate the moving parts as dust build up can occur. He wasn't happy when I said his dad always lubricated the overrun device, he's taken over the business from his dad who has now retired.

Next tour will see if the brakes are any better, but I'm doubtful myself, everything looked good quality inside the drum, with no visible cracks in the liner, which someone on ST reported.

Just returned from a 300+ mile trip from Scotland, my kerb side is screaming like a banshee  when  brake gently no noise when brake harder. I've booked my caravan for this next week. I'll report back.

This thread relates to caravan brakes. All posts relating to caravan breaks have been removed.

Gordon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Received a phone call mid week,to say my van was ready. New shoes had been fitted and brakes where working fine no squealing.

Picked the van up today and within 2 miles the brakes where squeals again. Went back to dealers and spoke to the workshop foreman concerning the brakes.

We then took the van on a test run,so he could hear the brakes squealing.

The first thing he said was,our car is very quiet and he could hear the squealing.

They tow with a van and you  can't hear the brakes.( What a plonker)

So everyone out there with brakes that squeal,but a van.

The van is back at the dealers again.

Dealer is going to contact alko concern this problem again.

• Like 1

Hi Just seen the  posts re  Brake squeal etc.  

We  have a 2017 Swift Ace Globetrotter.   On its last outing a couple of week ends ago. While in stop go traffic.   A  brake or brakes started to squeal/ squeak  when  pulling up in traffic queues  and also while approaching  road  Junctions and Roundabouts  .   However once on the  move we had no problem getting  up speed to the legal speed limit, so it appears the brakes were not binding. On arrival at our destinations the drums were checked and were not hot.   I have since  lubricated the hand brake pivots and  linkages e t c  on the  Drawbar.   I will monitor things on our Caravans next outing.

I  must  mention the Handbrake is not applied while the Caravan is not in use. To prevent the Brake Shoes sticking to the brake drums.   Before you all say anything. Yes the wheels are firmly chocked.  

Edited by Pete&Babs
Additional Information added

We have just learnt to live with it. We have purchased 11 brand new caravans over a 46 year period and most have squealed on pulling up. Caravans go for a service and after about the first 25_30 miles start again.

I guess its very difficult to describe on a post a noise level, I think a sequel is something many have experienced and live with but the noise we have is bad, ie when arriving at a site two weeks ago the warden said she was expecting me as she could hear me going thru the village! When we arrived home I asked my wife to stand outside our home as I gently  braked I also had the windows open, I was was horrified and ashamed at the noise I was making! I booked it in for repair as soon as I walked into the house.

• Thanks 1

Received a call from my local NCC workshop (who have always  been excellent) to say my caravan was ready and no fault with the brakes it was just the springs stretching, got to be honest I thought, no chance.

When I collected the caravan I had doubts but the manager explained the springs when stretched hitting the back plate & giving off the squeal but he had lubed up the parts after cleaning everything. But he asked me to try it up and down the road when he waited at the kerb, silence bliss.   Please to say still okay on the 38 mile drive home. Fingers crossed all sorted and covered under Lunar warranty no problem.  

I took delivery of a new swift celebrate in January 2018, the brakes squealed badly from day 1. First time I returned it they put anti-squeal paste on, it was ok or about 5 miles then just as bad. eventually they agreed to replace shoes and drums under warranty which were fitted (allegedly) at the first service but after first trip out they are just as bad as ever! I've just emailed the dealer to give them the bad news. I was originally told it was a bad batch of shoes but assuming they did actually change them it seems abit more than that.

Posted (edited)
On 19/11/2009 at 20:00, SwiftGroup said:

in 2009 there were problems, and people were told to contact swift...I don't know if they now take calls on the matter or just refer back to dealer..these problems have been noticed for years now...

anyway....is it the brakes squeal when applied, or all the time?

The same can happen on car brake drums and there are things to check, do or change..  would be nice to know what the dealer actually did...

Edited by Les666

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:51, garytc said:

brakes squeal when applied. going back to dealer to have 2nd set of new drums and shoes fitted under warranty.

Collected my new Swift Corniche last March (2018). During the summer, the brakes started squealing very loudly. It was embarrassing in towns - I could see heads turning as we passed. Anyway, back to the dealer who said they'd fixed it but within 50 miles it was as bad as ever. I left it until its first service this March and asked the workshop to look into it. They tell me it is due to a new brake pad compound Alko introduced. They have to be replaced with a different shoe which means another trip to the workshop. Hopefully, that will sort it.

Anyone had a similar experience?

On 25/03/2019 at 08:51, garytc said:

I took delivery of a new swift celebrate in January 2018, the brakes squealed badly from day 1. First time I returned it they put anti-squeal paste on, it was ok or about 5 miles then just as bad. eventually they agreed to replace shoes and drums under warranty which were fitted (allegedly) at the first service but after first trip out they are just as bad as ever! I've just emailed the dealer to give them the bad news. I was originally told it was a bad batch of shoes but assuming they did actually change them it seems abit more than that.

Anti squeal paste!  I’ve heard it all  now!

John.

Well it worked on my Swift, applied over a year ago now, just been away recently and no brake noise at all.

I was also having the same on my CX-5, the first CX-5 had none, and my 2019 Tiguan has none either, so I'm convinced its inferior brake materials that's at fault.