Sunncamp Scenic Porch

TrickyT

Just a quick update on the Scenic Porch.

We have just come back from a 2 night stay at a CL to help try and unwind from being back at work and the stresses from Christmas etc.

Having purhcased a Scenic Porch but never used it we decided to set it up this weekend.

To say the weather was a test for it was an understatement!! It rained down, sideways and I am sure at one time it was going up!! Then there was the wind, not 100% sure which way it was going at times.

We positioned the van to give as much protection as possible for the porch and it stood up to everything that was thrown at it, very impressed.

There was one time at 4 in the morning when I looked out the window, I thought about taking it down. but decided against it.

Have to say for the money it is worth while

Regards

Trevor

Hi Geoff,

Here is the post from the old board.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started by NewRangerFamily | Post by NewRangerFamily

I had been very happy with my scenic porch until my last trip out at the end of October. During the night the wind picked up. The porch is like a glorified beach tent with fibreglass poles. These poles evidently flexed and moved in the wind . The top of each pole slots in to a pocket at the top next to the awning rail but there is no padding in the pocket. As a consequence I now have 2 deep gouges around 10" long in my new van!

I will be contacting the supplier, sending photographs of the damage and will let you know what response I get.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope NewRangerFamily don't mind me copying their post.

Frank

Didn't somebody on the old board have some of these? I thought somebody had one that came apart and nearly hit the van.

2660[/snapback]

Yes, it was me!! Took it back to the shop last week along with a photo of the damage to my van. They are getting suppliers to look at the porch and we'll take it from there.

Basically, during the night the stitching came undone where the awning tape and the top pocket for one of the fibreglass poles meet. This allowed the pocket in to which the pole sits to move and basically the tip of the pole (which has a small rubber bung on the end) rubbed a hole through the pocket and caused 10 inch long indentations in the side of the van near the awning chanel.

Will let you know what the suppliers say!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

I was quite interested in the post when it came up last time cause it was something i had considered. I wanted something I could put up for weekend trips and I could put up when I go without the missus ( the dog is useless at helping!).

The ordinary awning takes an hour to put up and is a two person job.

Anyway people talked me out of ordinary porch awnings (take too long) and I was thinking of getting a Scenic Porch. Anyway the better half did not like the look of it. So instead I bought a Dorema Solano canopy and its been brilliant. Its got sides and it goes out a long way so it gives me the shelter I need on three sides - only the front is open. I can put it up solo and even then its a ten minute job. I would heartity recommend it. ...Oh and held up in those October gales.

Does anyone know where they have got any stock of the scenic porch, it seems to be usefull for a weekend just to store shoes and coats

Thanks Gareth They like every one have no stock, and are not expecting them in until early February, They will not take an order it is just a case of keeping on phoning to check, but as they seem to be the cheapest I am sticking with them

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to madmax's request for stockists of the scenic porch awning,

I have today been on the phone to Centre Caravans at Thame in Oxfordshire in order to try and get the scenic plus awning. They are on order and Centre have ordered approx. 1,000 in order to cover the anticipated demand. Delivery is expected in three weeks. The salesman stated that they currently have a healthy stock of the scenic porch awnings at a price of £99 available immediately.

So if anyone wants one, I suggest you give them a ring on 01844 339566 or visit on line at www. centrecaravans. co. uk.

TonyJ :)

In answer to madmax's request for stockists of the scenic porch awning,

I have today been on the phone to Centre Caravans at Thame in Oxfordshire in order to try and get the scenic plus awning. They are on order and Centre have ordered approx. 1,000 in order to cover the anticipated demand. Delivery is expected in three weeks. The salesman stated that they currently  have a healthy stock of the scenic porch awnings at a price of £99 available immediately.

So if anyone wants one, I suggest you give them a ring on 01844 339566 or visit on line at www. centrecaravans. co. uk.

TonyJ :)

9494[/snapback]

Good to see a dealer taking the initiative. We purcased our Sunncamp Scenic at Centre Caravans last season and have to say, we've been very happy with it so far.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest Hobbybod

Please be aware that there are at least two makes of this type of porch awning;

[Edited] Just seen a third called Porchlite Plus, by Blue Diamond Products

One, I think the Sunncamp Scenic, is made of fairly flimsy material and there have been reports of it being easily ripped. (~£100 from Towsure??)

The other is this one 070009g.jpg a Herzog Mistral, which, AFAIK, are marketed by Jeff Bowens.

This is a far superior product and costs ~£170 here

The Porch awning that looks like a tunnel tent is the Herzog Sunrise 070130g.jpg Costs ~390€ from here (You need to click on the 'Top Seller' image at the right).

Hobbybod

Love the look of the "Sunrise" but as I cant read German I cant tell from their website if they deliver to the UK. Do you know if these are retailed anywhere in the UK?

Regards

David, Callum and Connor ( NRF)

Guest Hobbybod
Love the look of the "Sunrise" but as I cant read German I cant tell from their website if they deliver to the UK. Do you know if these are retailed anywhere in the UK?

Regards

David, Callum and Connor ( NRF)

9920[/snapback]

I don't know, if they are imported into UK, but try Bowens.

To check on delivery to UK, 'phone 'campingshop plus', there's bound to be someone who speaks English. I've yet to 'phone a German organisation or campsite that hasn't!! And I speak practically NO German.

Good luck, and be quick. I think they've only got one Sunrise left on offer!!

I've deleted the quoted images from the last couple of posts (but left the originals) to make the thread easier to read. It does look like a novel concept for an awning and I'll be interested to see if the idea takes off.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi If you are intersted in the Herzog sun rise porch awning

this link takes you to a site that will ship to the UK

http://translate. google. com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=

http://www. camping24. net/shop-v3/product_info. php%3F

products_id%3D4197&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHerzog%2BVorzelt%

2BSunrise%26num%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26newwindow%3D1%26sa%3DG

The company is camping24. net cost about £290 plus carrage

If you purchase one please keep the forum informed

Dave

Hi

I want to buy one of these awnings as they seem excellent value and very convenient to use on those short breaks.

I am however very confused!!

Which do you buy? Sunncamp, Herzog, Oggie, Scenic etc etc etc

The write ups all seem the same. They all appear to be made of the same "ripstop" polyester so are they all the same or are there significant differences that make them good or bad.

I notice Towsure are currently selling the Oggie version which looks identical to the Sunncamp and this year they are also selling Sunncamp normal awnings.

Added to this the "Cardinal" awning they sell by Sunncamp has the same name as the discontinued Dorema (special towsure edition) that they sold last year. Are Dorema involved in these scenic thingys somewere down the line???

I am very confused and dont want to throw my hard earned away!!!!!! <_<

Brian

I've documented elsewhere in this forum the problem I had with the Scenic porch. My advice - go for a design where the ends of the fibeglass poles are not in close proximity to the sides of the van. What would happen if the flimsy "pocket" in which the pole sits fails and the pole were to penetrate the pocket? It would rub against the side of the van. You might then find the suppliers trying to tell you that the damage is "accidental" and "not covered under the warranty" !!!

Good luck!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Guest Hobbybod
Hi

I want to buy one of these awnings as they seem excellent value and very convenient to use on those short breaks.

I am however very confused!!

Which do you buy? Sunncamp, Herzog, Oggie, Scenic etc etc etc  . . . . . . .

The write ups all seem the same. They all appear to be made of the same "ripstop" polyester so are they all the same or are there significant differences that make them good or bad.

I am very confused and dont want to throw my hard earned away!!!!!! <_<

Brian

12705[/snapback]

Brian, they are not all the same. The Herzog is much better made with, AFAIK, heavier, thicker, material than the others, which is reflected in its higher price.