Ford Mondeo

cb1701

<_< I have been thinking of changing my tow car for a while now, i currently

have a VW passat but its getting a little tired now i think, so i thought of a

newer passat but for the same price range i find i could have a newer still

ford mondeo and their tow weights seem very good, i know passats are

very good (as mine has been) but looking at two models of mondeo the

2. 0 petrol and the 2. 0tdci seem very tempting has anyone any good or bad

things to say about these two cars, many thanks for your time.

cb.

Hi i have 2. 0ltr petrol est, not as much grunt as i would like and around 23-24 mpg towing . If it was me i would have 2. 0 ltr 130ps diesel just have to persuade her indoors to allow me one. :rolleyes:

chris L

Without knowing anything about Fords I would still say go for the diesel between the 2 you mentioned. There seems to be a lot of good press about the TDCI engine.

1504[/snapback]

I can't comment on the petrol, but I think the TDCi 130 is excellent.

It weighs over 1500KG and has a max towing weight of 1800KG so there's plent of grunt in reserve when towing sensibly.

It has bags of torque and a 6-speed gearbox, which is great for getting 50mpg solo. You'll never be able to use the 6th gear towing though, because at 60mph, the engine's only doing about 1400rpm. I get 25-30mpg towing.

I don't know how old you're thinking about, but the current model has cruise control and AirCon or Climate control on all models.

My recent experience of the dealerships has soured my affection for the car a bit though. The 2 I've used this year have been shocking, although Ford aren't unique for this I understand.

I can't comment on the petrol, but I think the TDCi 130 is excellent.

It weighs over 1500KG and has a max towing weight of 1800KG so there's plent of grunt in reserve when towing sensibly.

It has bags of torque and a 6-speed gearbox, which is great for getting 50mpg solo. You'll never be able to use the 6th gear towing though, because at 60mph, the engine's only doing about 1400rpm. I get 25-30mpg towing.

I don't know how old you're thinking about, but the current model has cruise control and AirCon or Climate control on all models.

My recent experience of the dealerships has soured my affection for the car a bit though. The 2 I've used this year have been shocking, although Ford aren't unique for this I understand.

1515[/snapback]

Hi i think my budget will limit me to around a 2001/ 2002 model if i,m lucky but i think i am going to go for one, as i would like to start the new season with a newer

motor p. s thanks for the advice.

LOL Was typing as you spoke  :)

1522[/snapback]

I thought you would not mind too much you were helpful to me :D . I also type small messages as i forget what i am??? :D:D

chris L

Hi i think my budget will limit me to around a 2001/ 2002 model if i,m lucky but i think i am going to go for one, as i would like to start the new season with a newer

motor p. s thanks for the advice.

1530[/snapback]

Shop around, I paid £12k for a 9 month old Zetec S TDCI 130 with less than 2k on the clock, Car Supermarket

Re the Mondeo TDCi 130.

I am glad to read all the good reports on the TDC 130. I haven't actually towed with it yet as I haven't fitted the towbar to it.

I just picked up a Ghia X TDCi 130 estate, which has self levelling rear suspension,

10 months old, 8000 miles on the clock for only £13650 and a good trade in for my Peugeot 406 HDI.

This car with the alloys it has fitted is close to £24000 list.

Look on the Ford Direct website and then try different postcodes to get the best price from different garages. I found the cheapest to be in Derby but I ended up buying in Milton Keynes. They gave the best tradein value plus they are close to home.

http://www. ford. co. uk/forddirect

Good luck

Bobren55

I just picked up a Ghia X TDCi 130 estate, which has self levelling rear suspension,

. .....

2287[/snapback]

The Ghia X has a few other nice features too . ..

My favourites are the 'Climate Control' leather seats, which can heat up or use little fans to blow cool air through the perforations in the seat to avoid getting a sweaty back (or worse ;))

I'm sure you'll like it :)

My favourites are the 'Climate Control' leather seats, which can heat up or use little fans to blow cool air through the perforations in the seat to avoid getting a sweaty back (or worse ;))

2358[/snapback]

I have a 2. 0 Litre Mondeo Ghia X which I use as a second vehicle - it was used for towing before I got my 4 x 4 and bigger van - but it tows really well. The other nice thing about it is the heated seats . .... um really nice in the cold weather. It wont tow a heavy twin axle but it will tow most other vans . .......

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Guest Coachman
<_<  I have been thinking of changing my tow car for a while now, i currently

have a VW passat but its getting a little tired now i think, so i thought of a

newer passat but for the same price range i find i could have a newer still

ford mondeo and their tow weights seem very good, i know passats are

very good (as mine has been) but looking at two models of mondeo the

2. 0 petrol and the 2. 0tdci seem very tempting has anyone any good or bad

things to say about these two cars, many thanks for your time.

cb.

1483[/snapback]

Hi I  Have a Mondeo 2. 0 tdci found it good for towing But I had to change the rear springs as the van pulled the back bown  after fitting the springs is is fine . And I am well pleased with it now. coast about  £130

Hi cb1701,

We have towed at 1345 MTPLM with both the Mondeo 2. 0Ltr petrol and TDCI 130 and the 130 wins hands down. Go for the 5 tronic if you can and the 3 year/60,000 miles warranty. You will not be sorry.

Yossa

Hi cb1701,

We have towed at 1345 MTPLM with both the Mondeo 2. 0Ltr petrol and TDCI 130 and the 130 wins hands down. Go for the 5 tronic if you can and the 3 year/60,000 miles warranty. You will not be sorry.

Yossa

2448[/snapback]

We also have just bought this model, a 2l TCDi 130 Zetec and its brill. The Zetec has firmer suspension more suitable for towing. Its higher at the back than our 18 lx petrol. Hubby says it pulls like a train, and economical too

:D:D Hi to all and many thanks for all your advice have just purchased a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 tdi ghia 2001 model can't wait to get it, only problem now i need to get a tow hook on it so that the next thing on the list to do :D

I bought a genuine one from Ford, which is actually a Brink swan neck removable,fitted it myself. Cost about £280 with the twin electrics which just plug in, inside the near side rear panel. Had a problem with the removable swan neck part and Ford eventually replaced it, but after contacting Brink UK and telling them of my troubles was told that Brink's warranty is ten years and they would honour that. They sent an e-mail to confirm, which I will keep hold of.

since moving into caravan last year I bought a 2. 0 TDCI Mondeo and towing a Bailey Pageant Vendee, I must say the Car tow quite nicely I even manage to reach 80mph without realizing and no need to say I now watch the speedo constantly while towing

:D  :D  Hi to all and many thanks for all your advice have just purchased a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 tdi ghia 2001 model can't wait to get it, only problem now i need to get a tow hook on it so that the next thing on the list to do  :D

3145[/snapback]

I don't want to frighten you but the early Mk3 Mondeos did not have the TDCi engine. The one fitted to these was not as powerful. I am not sure when the TDCi was installed. I belive it was late 2001 or early 2002. Can anybody confirm this??

Cheers

Bob R

2358[/snapback]

Hi Mr Grumpy

Yes, I have been using and enjoying the heated seats for the past few days. Looking forward to seeing how effective the seat cooling is in the summer!!

So far it's been doing 45mpg solo, not quite as good as the 406 HDi was but then again it has much more grunt!! It has only done 8000mls and is still tight. But I suppose I am using the power more??

Cheers

Bob R

I don't want to frighten you but the early Mk3 Mondeos did not have the TDCi engine. The one fitted to these was not as powerful. I am not sure when the TDCi was installed. I belive it was late 2001 or early 2002. Can anybody confirm this??

Yes, the 90 bhp TDdi from 11/2000 - 02/2002

115 bhp TDdi from 11/2000 - 08/2002

Both are direct injection engines but not commonrail. ..

The TDCi 130 bhp from 10/2001 and the TDCi 115 bhp from 08/2002, which are much more refined.

Regards, Bert

www. whattowcar. com