Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Speeding

ame='paulw1' date='03 November 2009 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1257242556' post='307869']

Depends on the car you have

If you have a big diesel engine then yes

I know for a fact that there is no way my car would pull the van on tickover without stalling not even at 5mph

Older cars had very basic idle control systems which could result in stalling but since the introduction of fuel injection virtually all have electronically stabilised idle. My old 1985 Cavalier 1. 8i would hold it's idle speed regardless of load - as have all my other cars since.

Seen at Barnard Castle C&CC site:

Isn't it sad that they have to resort to a sign saying "Children Playing" why not just "5 MPH That is the Rule".

Isn't it sad that they have to resort to a sign saying "Children Playing" why not just "5 MPH That is the Rule".

Yes exactly. Why should we need an explanation when asked to respect the property owner's wishes?

Yes - in September the CC Culloden Moor site was plastered with A4 printed notices about sticking to the 5mph limit, despite the usual permanent 5mph signs found on all CC sites - they must have, or had, a problem with speeders there.

Agreed as children should be playing in the playgound and not on the roads around the campsite that is why the campsite invested mony in the play ground.

Agreed as children should be playing in the playgound and not on the roads around the campsite that is why the campsite invested mony in the play ground.

????? Children can't play on their own pitch ?????

I presume you've never had a child walk out in front of you - try telling the coroner it was the child's fault with a smile on your face.

Expect the unexpected - never assume that others will abide by the rules - drive defensively - they're all the same thing.

Come on Roger the poster only said - children should be playing in the playgound and not on the roads around the campsite - nothing said about not being on the look out for 'stray dogs and kids'cool.gif

When you go onto a campsite -- do you not expect to see people ??!! I do. ..

-- Of all ages

-- some walking with sticks and not quiet as mobile

-- or a bit hard of hearing so can't hear the sound of the mighty roar of London's Traffic. ..

When you enter just please be aware that you have left the highway

-- and have entered a PARK and simply anything can and does happen

-- wowowo -- a Kite just landed in front of my car on the road

-- YES - it can and does happen. .

When you look around in astonishment at the kite

-- The next thing to think of is that a child might suddenly chase the kite !!!

-- or be chasing a dog who was excited at the kite

-- or the old granddad on the end of the string of the kite.

But some may say that in a PARK you shouldn't be doing that sort of thing to enjoy yourself.

Just be totally AWARE at all times of what is around you -- and you wont go far wrong. .

Maurice

Just be totally AWARE at all times of what is around you -- and you wont go far wrong. .

Everyone should be aware of one another, the emphasis should not be down to the driver

When our kids play on the campsite we always warn them about looking out for moving vehicles

Don't parents teach kids road sense these days or are campsites exempt

When you go onto a campsite -- do you not expect to see people ??!! I do. ..

-- Of all ages

-- some walking with sticks and not quiet as mobile

-- or a bit hard of hearing so can't hear the sound of the mighty roar of London's Traffic. ..

When you enter just please be aware that you have left the highway

-- and have entered a PARK and simply anything can and does happen

-- wowowo -- a Kite just landed in front of my car on the road

-- YES - it can and does happen. .

When you look around in astonishment at the kite

-- The next thing to think of is that a child might suddenly chase the kite !!!

-- or be chasing a dog who was excited at the kite

-- or the old granddad on the end of the string of the kite.

But some may say that in a PARK you shouldn't be doing that sort of thing to enjoy yourself.

Maurice

mighty roar of London's Traffic that got me thinking back. in town tonight.

Everyone should be aware of one another, the emphasis should not be down to the driver

When our kids play on the campsite we always warn them about looking out for moving vehicles

Don't parents teach kids road sense these days or are campsites exempt

Yes, of course parents teach kids road sense these days but they are children, they get excited and they forget. Their ball goes into the road, or they see something they want to do and for one moment they forget everything they have been told. I agree they should be on the lookout for moving vehicles but we are the adults and the drivers and it is up to us to do everything we can to drive as safely as possible.

After reading some of the posts on this thread I realise that some people just hate kids, and think they should be locked up at birth until they reach the age of 21.

The same people probably think it is their right to drive as fast as they want, wherever they want, and sod everyone else.

I would like to remind them that in the case of an accident, their car will be damaged and cost them trouble and money. Is that not a good reason to slow down?

When I was a child we used to play football and rounders in the street, and I used to cycle to school along main roads. These days they are not even given the freedom to do that on enclosed camp sites. I think they have the right to behave like children and camp sites should be a haven for them, as well as us.

And, no, I do not have loads of kids. My wife and I are both geriatrics and caravan alone.

At Longleat this year, a kid on a bike appeared from around a blind corner of the toilet block at about the speed of someone running fast and ran into one of my wife's legs and hurt her. :angry:

Could have been a car and damaged that.

The kid just tried to pretend she wasn't there, backed off, steered around her and shot off at the same sort of speed again. :angry:

If kids are not old enough to understand and obey rules they are not ready to be unleashed upon the public.

Out of interest, what is it that attracts kids to play around toilet blocks in the first place, surely it can't be the smell ~ can it? :unsure:

Out of interest, what is it that attracts kids to play around toilet blocks in the first place, surely it can't be the smell ~ can it? :unsure:

If that happened anywhere other than a campsite, the local police would be there locking up the perverts who want the kids there !!

After reading some of the posts on this thread I realise that some people just hate kids, and think they should be locked up at birth until they reach the age of 21.

The same people probably think it is their right to drive as fast as they want, wherever they want, and sod everyone else.

I would like to remind them that in the case of an accident, their car will be damaged and cost them trouble and money. Is that not a good reason to slow down?

When I was a child we used to play football and rounders in the street, and I used to cycle to school along main roads. These days they are not even given the freedom to do that on enclosed camp sites. I think they have the right to behave like children and camp sites should be a haven for them, as well as us.

And, no, I do not have loads of kids. My wife and I are both geriatrics and caravan alone.

Well said.

What an excellent idea. I am sure you will get a knighthood for your well thought out suggestion. You have got my vote! :)

Only released at 21 for good behaviour so the life sentence will mean life for most of them :mellow:

I live opposite a pupil referral unit. Working from home I get ample opportunity to witness the breakdown in society. When 11year olds are allowed a fag break every hour and the teachers who smoke stand with them on the pavement while they do it (no smoking ON education authority property) . ...and the reasoning from the chief administrator is . ..."well their parents let them, so we can't stop them" you start to see where we are going wrong.

Not every child is a wrong 'un; there have always been bad apples. But the relaxation of discipline and lack of social structure has encouraged the mischievous kids to become malevolent; the naughty ones to be nasty. They are allowed to mimic the stronger kids (ie the bad apples) and in doing so, spread the infection.

The reason I bring this up is that it isn't the kids fault!!!!! They are just kids pushing the boundaries as they always have.

It's the parents and governing bodies that have let them down. THEY are the ones that should hang their heads in shame at the mess they have created by their blind tinkering and abdication of responsibility for the children in this country.

And if you think a few people speeding on a campsite is bad now. ..wait till this generation get cars and caravans and families!!!!!

The thread was started relating to a chastising for speeding and I think we all really agree, that speed limits are there for our safety and the safety of others.

The speed limit is across the board and applies to all those let loose in charge of a car, bicycle or whatever mode of transport and irrespective of age, if persons insist on travelling around site roads at far more than the speed limit then they deserve to be repremanded and in the case of a kid considered 'not to know any better', it is the breeders themselves who should answer.

Been "Vanning" for a few years now and while speeding on site does wind me up, hand on heart I have never seen an accident or even close involving a car going over the speed limit on site( thank goodness) but I have seen many instances of speeding on out of control bikes and skateboards ploughing into cars, vans or even people. This is a problem that needs tightening up on, Parents need to get a grip and be responsible, may be the children will then learn from the parents. I know that a lot of parents do reign the wee ones in but a lot more dont, If the cap fits,,,,

but I have seen many instances of speeding on out of control bikes and skateboards ploughing into cars,

On a site where members of our family have a static van, a kid came down a side road hill on a small bike or similar, could not stop and went under the rear wheels of a car with major injuries ~ no suggestion that the car driver was over the speed limit bit witnesses said the kid was.

Sometimes kids will do what kids will do.

As a bit of a parallel, back in the 60's ~ when!! ~ yes when I were a kid, imagine the scene, icy conditions, waiting for the school coach, we decide to make a slide on the ice while we await its arrival.

Which direction do we make it? in case you can't guess towards the road just stopping at the kerb.

Muggins here sees the coach coming into the bus stop so has his last go on the slide, almighty run up and away I go, over cooked it and it was obvious to me that I was going to hit the still moving coach, fell to the ice, still sliding and gloves clawing at the ice desperatly trying to stop, the only way I stopped my legs going under its rear wheels was to pull my knees up to my chin and my bum finished bouncing off the tyre.

Never did that again and could have been a costly mistake. :(

Sometimes kids will do what kids will do.

Been "Vanning" for a few years now and while speeding on site does wind me up, hand on heart I have never seen an accident or even close involving a car going over the speed limit on site( thank goodness) but I have seen many instances of speeding on out of control bikes and skateboards ploughing into cars, vans or even people. This is a problem that needs tightening up on, Parents need to get a grip and be responsible, may be the children will then learn from the parents. I know that a lot of parents do reign the wee ones in but a lot more dont, If the cap fits,,,,

Camp sites are at the end of the day going to be full of children playing in most cases. Whilst most children do not mean to cause damage, Accidents happen. Children need to have fun whilst they can, not be tied to their parents waist. I have seen a child fall onto a parked car off a skateboard. .my car in fact. Thankfully the child was unhurt and could continue playing. The tiny scratch on my car did not cause me any concern. Its only a material possesion

Camp sites are at the end of the day going to be full of children playing in most cases. Whilst most children do not mean to cause damage, Accidents happen.

That's OK then :rolleyes: . ... as long as the parents don't mind dipping into their pockets to put right the damage caused!

After reading some of the posts on this thread I realise that some people just hate kids, and think they should be locked up at birth until they reach the age of 21

Thank God for a sense of humour

Even if it wasn't meant rolleyes.gif

"After reading some of the posts on this thread I realise that some people just hate kids, and think they should be locked up at birth until they reach the age of 21"

If properly supervised could reduce teenage pregnanciesrolleyes.gif

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Sign in to follow this