Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Speeding

Gobsmacked is a verb of modern origin. Well, perhaps not that modern, my son used it in his wedding speech and the gasps could be heard at a distance. Anyway, I. E. doesn't recognise it so it splits the word into 'gob' and 'smacked' which it does recognise. I. e I. E. is wrong.

I thought it was an adjective of modern origin :rolleyes:

Guest Robin

Its a first for me to find that a warden told off a driver on site for speeding as most sites I've been on it seems that most people don't stick to the speed limit anyway.(how do you judge it?) VERY TRUE

People don't always supervise their children much on site either, on our last trip the family opposite had to continuesly run out to collect their toddler from the road as cars approached. TYPICAL TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE PARENT'S WHICH ARE QUITE COMMON TODAY.

You really have to be more careful on sites as they are so much busier. YOU MAY AS WELL TALK TO A BRICK WALL, THESE TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE PARENT'S DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT A CARAVAN SITE IS NOT A PLAYGROUND, THEY ACT JUST THE SAME IN EVERY SUPERMARKET CAR PARK, ALLOW THEIR SPROG'S TO RUN AROUND LIKE WILD ANIMAL'S

These are campsites first and foremost - not play areas.

Exactly, some people think a campsite is a holiday camp, somewhere their children can run around and play without supervision. I suggest they go to Butlins or somewhere similar, if that is how they want to carry on, a campsite is by its very nature going to invole vehicles moving at all times and all pedestrians have a responsibility to be aware of them, just as you would be in a car park.

Steve W

So what is a campsite then? A place for people to sit in stony silence, moving very slowly so as not to endanger themselves? Sounds great. ..

The best part of a campsite for us is allowing the kids, for a change, to run around in a safe environment. They spend the rest of their lives being told not to run here, shout there etc, etc. Anyone driving on a campsite should be aware of this and drive accordingly (surely not much of a hardship?) - you can't explain road safety to a 4 year old and you cannot seriously expect us to follow the kids round all the time, surely? If you do think that, then you obviously have no kids of your own. ...amazing how people without kids are such 'perfect' parents!

I have already said my piece early on. .....but have others seen parents coming onto club sites, and rallies, with the kids standing on the drivers shoulders and out of the sun roof. ...........responsible parents??..one quick stop needed. ..someone elses kid perhaps and Whoooooooooops!

rgds

geoff

Gobsmacked is a verb of modern origin. Well, perhaps not that modern, my son used it in his wedding speech and the gasps could be heard at a distance. Anyway, I. E. doesn't recognise it so it splits the word into 'gob' and 'smacked' which it does recognise. I. e I. E. is wrong.

I must admit that I am totally GOBSMACKED to hear that this modern ADJECTIVE is in fact spelt GOBSMACKED and not GOB SMACKED - although my 1990 dictionary has neither! BUT it does tell me that GOB is a slang word for mouth and SMACKED is to be hit so I have been hit in the mouth by these wonderful revelations!smile.gif

Incidentally ieSpell does recognise the word BUT as either two words or hyphenated!sad.gif

BTW I have bowed to superior knowledge on modern slang and trained ieSpell to recognise GOBSMACKEDwink.gif

The speedo in my car does not register speeds below 10mph.

Today I was driving with the satnav on, so as a matter of interest, I stopped and engaged 1st gear and let the car move with the engine just ticking over.

The satnav showed a speed of 4mph.

I was on a quiet side road, bye the way, not the A1(M) :D

I have already said my piece early on. .....but have others seen parents coming onto club sites, and rallies, with the kids standing on the drivers shoulders and out of the sun roof. ...........responsible parents??..one quick stop needed. ..someone elses kid perhaps and Whoooooooooops!

rgds

geoff

Oh come on, let's get things in proportion here! Irresponsible parenting is letting your kids smoke, letting them bunk off school, leaving your wife and kids and running off with the babysitter etc. Letting them run 'wild' round a campsite or sitting on your shoulders in the car at 5mph is called 'letting them have fun' - remember that? Damn hard to do in this nanny state we live in. ..

just been chastised for going more than 5mph on a caravan and camping site I was actually doing 10 mph should the warden have lectured me and threatened me with leaving car on car park?

I strongly believe in driving slow due to kiddies etc but walking speed!

I have just seen a guy come on site towing doing 15mph and everyone else about 10 like me

I just want views on this speed limit and am I right in thinking caravan club sites are 15mph

Hello.

Unfortunately you have left yourself wide open to rightfull critism! But you are certainly not the only one in the UK to do so! I live in Normandie and run a campsite, I will ask all to drive with respect for others staying and that will mean at walking pace. Here in Normandie as a rule everyone drives within the limit posted and have a more pleasurable and safer driving experience.

Then I visit the UK! and the wackey races comence!....... I would say about 70% Speed, no matter where they are, country roads or motorways. They are ALL in too much of a hurry to save time. ..... or more probably. .. have a total disregard for other peoples saftey and have the mindset that they have the right to speed and do what they want, and that nobody should tell THEM what to do! Why do you not just take your time and obey ANY limits that are displayed.

After all speed restrictions are a limit they are not a target that should be met!!!!!!

Mark

Edited by MDM

Thats quite ridiculous. Im not walking across a field in the pouring rain every time I want to go out for the day, just so children can charge about uncontrolled all over the site. These are campsites first and foremost - not play areas. Noone wants to see a child injured and drivers should keep to speed limits. Our society has been screwed too much already by ill conceived and misdirected legislation.

How many accidents 'due to speed' have there been anyway?

Within the last couple of years we have seen two accidents on campsites one boy was knocked off his skate board while we were in Charmouth (uninjured) and while on the CC site at peterborough a car swerved and hit our A-frame due to children in the road he said (cost of repair over £300)am I unlucky or is it the rule of averages, We do use the caravan a lot so I suppose we would experience more I don't Know. Campsites/play areas I guess it depends on ones age.

So what is a campsite then? A place for people to sit in stony silence, moving very slowly so as not to endanger themselves? Sounds great. ..

The best part of a campsite for us is allowing the kids, for a change, to run around in a safe environment. They spend the rest of their lives being told not to run here, shout there etc, etc. Anyone driving on a campsite should be aware of this and drive accordingly (surely not much of a hardship?) - you can't explain road safety to a 4 year old and you cannot seriously expect us to follow the kids round all the time, surely? If you do think that, then you obviously have no kids of your own. ...amazing how people without kids are such 'perfect' parents!

I see Neimo,

Every driver has to behave responsibly, but you and your children don't, I repeat I do not consider a campsite a safe enviroment for children. If you want them to play in a safe enviroment take them to a playground.

whether I have children is irrelevant. Dogs and children are the responsibilty of their owners and not mine.

Steve W

I dont see a problem with following a caravan site speed limit, what would you be trying to prove by knowingly going over it, all you'll achieve is attention of the negative type.

If you want to overspeed,show off, burn rubber or do handbrake turns, do like i do take my roadster to a track day, silverstone and santapod have these days. They may have trailer/caravan track days. ..Theres nothing more sad than someone windgeing about a speed limit on a campsite.

I also agree with what one other person said about kids on sites, CC's are not public playgrounds, afew sites have a childrens playground, thats where they should play if at all, parents and wardens shoul'nt allow kids to run riot on the site, skateboarding!ohmy.gif or playing chicken between cars & trailers. however young.

I have to supervise my dog and make sure he behaves & tows the line!, parents need to supervise their kids and make sure they tow the line!.

Nemo- i've 2 sensible teenage lads, yes unfortunatly you DO have to supervise your kids like everyone else! Why should you allow your kids to run riot round a campsite spoiling everyone elses holiday just so YOU can relax.

Edited by TizzyLizzy

To quote your words " afew sites have a childrens playground, thats where they should play if at all," Do you mean that is the only place they should play? I must add that I am a parent and a grandparent. Just trying hard to understand the statement. I see no reason for children not to enjoy the whole surrounding of a camp site. My kids are well behave also, at least that is what they tell me.

To quote your words " afew sites have a childrens playground, thats where they should play if at all," Do you mean that is the only place they should play? I must add that I am a parent and a grandparent. Just trying hard to understand the statement. I see no reason for children not to enjoy the whole surrounding of a camp site. My kids are well behave also, at least that is what they tell me.

Hi screenman, Of course children should play, thats what they do and how they learn, however, my point is they should play on the site play area and be supervised by their parent/grandparents. Caravan sites ar'nt a safe place for kids to be running round etc, however slow incoming/outgoing caravans drive. There are other dangers on site,awning guy ropes, electric cables,gas bottles etc. There is no reason why a child shou'dnt enjoy the campsite, but they do need 'supervising' by a responsible adult. You should know if your kids are well behaved or not, if you've been supervising them :P

Unbelievable that some of you guys expect a child to think with an adult mind. It's simple, drive slow. Caravanning is in the main a family hobby. We all see the flash harry's cutting across the grass inbetween everything, Not only solo but with the van in tow they care not for any other people, and it's a thing that has grown within the last five or so years.

Unbelievable that some of you guys expect a child to think with an adult mind. It's simple, drive slow. Caravanning is in the main a family hobby. We all see the flash harry's cutting across the grass inbetween everything, Not only solo but with the van in tow they care not for any other people, and it's a thing that has grown within the last five or so years.

I don't think anyone is advorcating cars speeding around campsites what ever the speed limit, but I do object to the attitude that any problem is the responsibilty of the car driver, If drivers are expected to obey the rules, is it to much to ask that parents and dog owners ensure they do the same. I do not expect a child to think with an adult mind, but it would be nice if just occasionally parents did.

Steve W

Well i could'nt have put that any better or simpler myself Steve W well said.

Tizzy, I just thought your post read a bit like they should not be playing at all, funny how we write something one way and it reads another. Luckily my kids grew up before things like we are talking about here was going on, as another poster mentions it is something new that is growing. I certainly feel that children should be under control, however children will be children, and a grown up in speeding cars are behaving worse than a child ever could.

I have heard a lot of responses about children and other people, how about the parents taking some responsibility and looking after their kids instead of leaving them to upset others because they can't be bothered!!!

I see a lot of people shutting their kids out. ....to "go and play" as long as they are not interupted that is "OK", others are expected to take extra care!!! Yes everyone should take care when driving on site. ....but parents should take responsibilty also, and ensure their charge are not in any danger!!!!!!

Completely agree, so who is taking care of the irresponsible driver. At the end of the story it is down to that new thing called lack of respect.

I see Neimo,

Every driver has to behave responsibly, but you and your children don't, I repeat I do not consider a campsite a safe enviroment for children. If you want them to play in a safe enviroment take them to a playground.

whether I have children is irrelevant. Dogs and children are the responsibilty of their owners and not mine.

Steve W

name tony Hi neimo good on you all my children are grown up we take our grandchildren away with us you go away to enjoy youself you will always get the moaners no matter what I for one love to see the children enjoying themselfs if you dont want them around you I say go to an adult site only ? you will still find something to moan about thats the only thing that keeps some people happy I think these thread as gone on long enough know it is about time it was closed Tony

ODDJOB has spoken!!unsure.gif so now no one else shouldsad.gif .

The more that people speak their minds the more chance there is that common sense will prevailcool.gif

Ooo errr. ... Hello Oddjob :-)Knowones actually moaning,if you've bothered to actually read the whole thread, caravaners are actually concerned about the speed on sites, theres also been accidents with children killed between a car & trailer and another kid killed on a skateboard,were they being supervised at the time i wonder. You can't just chip into someone elses thread and surgest it's closed because 'you' dont like what you hear. If you can't hack reading it DONT read it!If you like watching children play. ...sit in the playground with them. Simples.

I see Neimo,

Steve W

I'm sorry you find driving at 5mph and looking out for kids so difficult. ..

This thread is really about speeding on a site and I'm sure we all agree it is a 'bad thing'. I think that possibly your dislike of kids is sending us off on a tangent. ..let's agree to disagree and move on. ..

Well if people think that kids should be restricted to playing only in designated play areas on campsites as opposed to using the whole site for play will matter little if the stance adopted by watford council becomes policy nationwide (they blame the govt. saying it is their policy)Parents in Watford are not allowed to supervise their children in council play areas as they have not been police checked,well if this comes to pass we will all either be confined to our vans whilst on site or kids will be.

:huh:

Sign in to follow this