Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Speeding

I must say that I am absolutely 'gob smacked' at the pomposity and arrogance of some of the postings on this subject! How many of us can hold our hand on our hearts and say "I have never ever exceeded a speed limit" ohmy.gif

ted, this question has been asked before, and i can confirm that a number of members did hold their hands up and confess to being perfect ;)

I must say that I am absolutely 'gob smacked' at the pomposity and arrogance of some of the postings on this subject! How many of us can hold our hand on our hearts and say "I have never ever exceeded a speed limit" ohmy.gif

Ted.

How dare you, surely you know that no member of this forum ever breaks any rule, all have wonderfully behaved children/grand children and their dogs have all graduated from a cannine behavior school, in fact they are all perfect all the time. I am suprised that they let the likes of me join at all.

Steve W

Exceeding the speed limit is wrong.

But if a child can run out from behind a caravan, such that you are unable to stop at 5mph, then you are too close to the caravan.

name oddjob I you are splitting airs the just is what I was saying when driving on the road the caravans are sited close to the service road so you are saying if you are towing your caravan at walking pace not 5mph in a split second a child runs out or cycles in front of you would stop well you are a better

man than me? no one can gaurantee they would stop how many people have been killed or had serious injuries whilst on site I for one drove professional for 40 years hgv class 1/ full psv clean driving licence accidents do happen when least exspected no matter how good a driver we think we are I hope you get the point what I was saying thanks Tony

How do you avoid this situation? How the caravans are sited is hardly in the control of another driver. I was at a site just last week where some of the caravans/motorhomes were pitched within two feet of the site roads - no not bad pitching but just the way the site was lay-ed out!cool.gif

name oddjob yes I totally agree what you are saying but other members on this forum dont think likewise I thought this was suppose to be a fun site Tony

5mph is a lot faster than walking pace, just tried it while I was out, more like jogging pace for me. No problem achieving 5mph either, could have gone slower down to true walking pace.

Perhaps the problem is that we tend to see numerical speed limits as advisory if there is no one around, or if there are no speed cameras. It doesn't just apply to 5mph. For 30mph read anything up to 40mph, for 70mph read anything up to 80mph+. Try driving in a 30mph zone at 29mph and see how traffic builds up behind you and how many people overtake you dangerously.

I think we should give a clear instruction on site rather than a number. A sign showing WALKING PACE, with logo graphics of children playing might eliminate the general contempt we have for numerical speed limits. They have these on many French sites I have visited, ROULEZ AU PAS (literally 'roll to the step').

Gordon

Used CC sites more extensively in 2009 than at any time in my 32 years membership and in all that time I have never seen anyone go as fast on a Club site as I did this year. The car absolutely flew around the site in the opposite direction to the one way system. It was being driven by the wardens wife.

Clearly we should stick to site speed limits although I would have to admit I would find it difficult to judge the difference between 5 and 10 mph. In my experience many people, and I am ashamed to say them seem to be a similar age to me, go a lot faster than 10mph!

David

Hi David its the same as walking against running rolleyes.gif

Cheers Trevsmate

I could be wrong but the child that was killed at Rowntree CC was not due to the car speeding but due to the fact the child was on a bike and came around a corner at speed and hit the caravan. If the speed limit is 5 mph why do we on numerous occasions see some children on bicycles exceeding the 5 mph limit but are neve rebuked just because they are on a bicycle. A person on a bicycle can just as easily kill a pedestrian as a car depending on the speed and especially if the rider has a helmet on and pedestrian does not. I do not condone speeding in inappropriate areas although speed never kills. It is the moron behind the wheel and there are plenty of them.

In first gear with the engine ticking over there is no need to watch the speedo as whilst watching the road you should be able to tell that you are going slowly, if not you really should reconsider your ability to drive a vehicle safely

My engine tends to run faster in the mornings when it is warming up which makes the car move a bit quicker so I find your post very offensive especially as I have passed an advanced driving test! Anyway in general it is more dangerous to watch your speedo every 5 minutes on any road than it is to be speeding.

interesting thread.

We stayed at the CC affilliated site in Charmouth a few weeks ago, wood farm.

The owner offered to guide us to our pitch by going ahead in his landrover, great service!

But. .. although they had 5mph signs around, he was doing easily triple that speed and I had a job keeping up as he kept disappearing around the bends and down steep slopes (if any of you have been there you will know what i mean)

I agree with the 5mph rules, we have a 3 year old that is only just learning traffic awareness, and i can understand the need for the 5mph speed all too well

Well said that man! I don't think the OP has returned since the first post - I don't blame him - chastised by the warden and then hung, drawn and 1/4d here.

Oh by the way, GOBSMACKED is one word not two

Well said that man! I don't think the OP has returned since the first post - I don't blame him - chastised by the warden and then hung, drawn and 1/4d here.

Oh by the way, GOBSMACKED is one word not two

Not according to ieSpellcool.gif

Which is more dangerous watching the speedo or watching the road?

People don't seem to have this problem with their Sat Nav's

It's very true that kids have no idea what's around them when playing, We have to think for them. And it is a problem, I can see that if people don't respect the set limits tow vehicles will have to remain at the gate in a purpose allocated area after pitching and only back on site when they need to hitch up and leave (as some sites in Europe), Although this at the moment is the policy due to space it may be the policy in general if there are many more accidents due to speed on campsites.

name oddjob I you are splitting airs the just is what I was saying when driving on the road the caravans are sited close to the service road so you are saying if you are towing your caravan at walking pace not 5mph in a split second a child runs out or cycles in front of you would stop well you are a better

man than me? no one can gaurantee they would stop how many people have been killed or had serious injuries whilst on site I for one drove professional for 40 years hgv class 1/ full psv clean driving licence accidents do happen when least exspected no matter how good a driver we think we are I hope you get the point what I was saying thanks Tony

I don't think Class 1 hgv or PSV, cuts any ice. I often see the most appalling standards of driving from hgv's and PSV's alike. (I have also driven both, including London Transport buses),but that does not make me any better a driver than someone who has only ever driven a car. Every driving situation is different, and driving performance should fit each one safely. We have a primary school near to us,the road past it has a 30mph limit. However when school is "out" and the road is full of mum's 4x4's and so on, plus kids everywhere, a driver would be an idiot to drive through the area at the permitted 30mph, just because he can.

Like I said, drive according to the prevailing road and traffic conditions, and all should be well.

Cheers Mike R (not being pompous!! ;)

It's very true that kids have no idea what's around them when playing, We have to think for them. And it is a problem, I can see that if people don't respect the set limits tow vehicles will have to remain at the gate in a purpose allocated area after pitching and only back on site when they need to hitch up and leave (as some sites in Europe), Although this at the moment is the policy due to space it may be the policy in general if there are many more accidents due to speed on campsites.

Exactly how many accidents are we talking about and please none of the usual "One" is to many clap trap. Are we talkig proven fact or the I know someone whos brother in law has a friend whose child got knocked over on a camp site story.

Steve W

Edited by Steve W77

It was well reported that a child was killed on one CC site at York recently when I understand he got between the car and van on his bike as the outfit was leaving the site

Speed of the outfit was not a factor

But really speeding on site is antisocial and selfish

We are all on holiday on site and so not on a treadmill with a clock to watch so there is no need for itbiggrin.gif

Kids running around and pedestrians meandering up the road (probably after a BBQ and a couple of pints)

Walking pace is definitely fast enough.

Scales

My thoughts exactly

Thats quite ridiculous. Im not walking across a field in the pouring rain every time I want to go out for the day, just so children can charge about uncontrolled all over the site. These are campsites first and foremost - not play areas. Noone wants to see a child injured and drivers should keep to speed limits. Our society has been screwed too much already by ill conceived and misdirected legislation.

How many accidents 'due to speed' have there been anyway?

These are campsites first and foremost - not play areas.

Exactly, some people think a campsite is a holiday camp, somewhere their children can run around and play without supervision. I suggest they go to Butlins or somewhere similar, if that is how they want to carry on, a campsite is by its very nature going to invole vehicles moving at all times and all pedestrians have a responsibility to be aware of them, just as you would be in a car park.

Steve W

Edited by Steve W77

Its a first for me to find that a warden told off a driver on site for speeding as most sites I've been on it seems that most people don't stick to the speed limit anyway.(how do you judge it?)

People don't always supervise their children much on site either, on our last trip the family opposite had to continuesly run out to collect their toddler from the road as cars approached.

You really have to be more careful on sites as they are so much busier.

Jeff

My engine tends to run faster in the mornings when it is warming up which makes the car move a bit quicker so I find your post very offensive especially as I have passed an advanced driving test! Anyway in general it is more dangerous to watch your speedo every 5 minutes on any road than it is to be speeding.

:unsure:

Not according to ieSpellcool.gif

Gobsmacked is a verb of modern origin. Well, perhaps not that modern, my son used it in his wedding speech and the gasps could be heard at a distance. Anyway, I. E. doesn't recognise it so it splits the word into 'gob' and 'smacked' which it does recognise. I. e I. E. is wrong.

Sign in to follow this