Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Speeding

just been chastised for going more than 5mph on a caravan and camping site I was actually doing 10 mph should the warden have lectured me and threatened me with leaving car on car park?

I strongly believe in driving slow due to kiddies etc but walking speed!

I have just seen a guy come on site towing doing 15mph and everyone else about 10 like me

I just want views on this speed limit and am I right in thinking caravan club sites are 15mph

d am I right in thinking caravan club sites are 15mph

No you are wrong, CC sites are 5mph, and are for a reason. The warden was right to chastise you. There are two many kids running around appearing from nowhere to be going faster than 5mph. Do you really need to get onto your pitch / out of site 10 seconds earlier. I don't see what the problem is with 5mph.

Sam

Edited by SamP

Chastised !! wowow -- I would have sent you off the site --

the number of hundreds of posts we have read on this very subject in these forums --

and now someone has done something

A BIG WELL DONE. .

any speed over 5 mph is potentially lethal on a caravan site -- and it is no good saying -- But I saw someone else doing faster -- why didn't YOU tell them then !!!

1st gear job for me at tickover when on site, children have no thoughts about safety when playing

Edited by neil and lena

Definately max 5 mph.

Don't forget the tragic accident on a CC Site 2 or 3 years ago when a "kiddie" was tragically killed.

Dave

Yes it is difficult to keep to 5mph on sites or anywhere else. .but even at this speed a car is dangerous. .remember the accident at Rowntree Park CC Site last year when a young boy was killed

by a very slow moving vehicle?

geoff

Sorry but system lost my posting!

Edited by TedNewman

just been chastised for going more than 5mph on a caravan and camping site I was actually doing 10 mph should the warden have lectured me and threatened me with leaving car on car park?

I have just seen a guy come on site towing doing 15mph and everyone else about 10 like me

I just want views on this speed limit and am I right in thinking caravan club sites are 15mph

Yes you should be chastised. the speed limit is NOT a target.

My car has an anti-stall feature, so will pull in any gear at minimum revs. On site it means 1st gear, with right foot over the brake for quick stops.

I will try again!!

How did the warden know you were doing more than 5mph? What device did he/she use to measure your speed? We have been told (our estate has a 5mph limit) it is unenforceable as it can not be measured accurately by the cars speedo.

Just keep your speed down to a walking pace and you should be 'safe'

Guest Tephi

Yes it is difficult to keep to 5mph on sites or anywhere else. .

geoff

NO, it's not difficult at all.

If you can't see you speedometer or use your right foot with care then you shouldn't be behind the wheel in my opinion.

Steve

Clearly we should stick to site speed limits although I would have to admit I would find it difficult to judge the difference between 5 and 10 mph. In my experience many people, and I am ashamed to say them seem to be a similar age to me, go a lot faster than 10mph!

David

As you may have guessed from the replies so far, everyone thinks it bad speeding on site and a little lecture

isn't exactly a hardship is it, they should have had £60 from you as well, for the flower fund if nothing else.

The thing that amuses me most, is you knew you had doubled the permitted speed so must have looked at the

speedo BUT still did it! and are now so annoyed you are intending going to faster sites. Couldn't make it up. ...

Just drive at walking speed and you'll never be bothered again and also safe in the knowledge that

you will have more time to react to the unexpected, such as loose dogs or kids playing.

Is this why most motorists speed then because everyone else does it? :o

neil

Due to folks "whinging" that their speedo's don't read 5 mph, our centre has changed its rules to "walking pace" not 5 mph.

If you are overtaking a pedestrian you are going too fast. Period.

Simple enough for anyone.

Hi you will find all sites have a 5mph speed limit should a small child or adult walk out from behind the back of a caravan into your path you would still have a job to stop in time at just 5mph Tony

Exceeding the speed limit is wrong.

But if a child can run out from behind a caravan, such that you are unable to stop at 5mph, then you are too close to the caravan.

I find it impossible to believe that there can be anyone allowed to drive on the public highways that does not have the ability to drive their car at 5mph, exactly how hard is it to put your car into 1st gear and leave the engine ticking over, even with our van hitched on my car (and the same went for my previous car and van) the engine and gearbox quite happily travel around sites at walking pace without need of intervention. I don't think I have been to a site in the last year where some ****(four letter word starts with T rhymes with cat) finds it necessary to set some sort of lap record, in fact I nearly got hit by one of them coming round a blind corner 2 weekends ago, had that been my son he had nearly hit and not me I would quite happily have been thrown off site for my actions toward him.

We see this disregard of speed limits on sites regularly sometimes with the van on tow

A site we stay regularly at has a semi resident outfit and the occupants tear up the site past the site office when entering or leaving

The fact that its a large American motor home with 2 personalised no plate cars on pitch has no relevance but gives the pictureunsure.gif

I wish that the warden would chastise them

Whilst I agree that speeds hsould be kept to a minimum, I also believe that people should still respect the highway code and remember to stop look and listen.

Just because you are on a campsite doesn't mean you can ramble around

Whilst agreeing 100% with everything that has said about speeding there is another side to the safe coexistence of humans and vehicles - individual responsibility when near a road.

Most sites have a tarmac/cinder 'grey thing' wandering around the 'green' areas. As a child I was always told that the grey thing was dangerous and to keep away from it at all times. The one on the site is no different. Sure the ultimate responsibility is and should always be with the adult driver. No arguement!

But I saw some children (last year) sat drawing on the tarmac as cars drove onto the opposite pitch to avoid them. The warden should have been chastising the parents.

Too frequently modern parenting abdicates its own responsibility for ensuring their children are aware of what's safe and what isn't, what's acceptable and what isn't.

Exceeding the speed limit is wrong.

But if a child can run out from behind a caravan, such that you are unable to stop at 5mph, then you are too close to the caravan.

How do you avoid this situation? How the caravans are sited is hardly in the control of another driver. I was at a site just last week where some of the caravans/motorhomes were pitched within two feet of the site roads - no not bad pitching but just the way the site was lay-ed out!cool.gif

NO, it's not difficult at all.

If you can't see you speedometer or use your right foot with care then you shouldn't be behind the wheel in my opinion.

Steve

Which is more dangerous watching the speedo or watching the road?

In first gear with the engine ticking over there is no need to watch the speedo as whilst watching the road you should be able to tell that you are going slowly, if not you really should reconsider your ability to drive a vehicle safely

Hence the very valid walking pace advice. .......Police tread is 4mph so should be easy to judge how fast without looking at the speedo. ....

geoff

Sign in to follow this