Dents In Aluminium Panels

Gazhyde

I've started noticing more and more dents in my 2003 Ace van.

Is there any easy way of getting rid or concealing them?

Most are like little pin pricks, but I noticed one today which is about 6inch long (which wasnt there when I pitched up on site Monday).

My parents usually stick a reflector over any dents, but I would prefer to do it a bit better than that.

I'm not worried at the moment, but am concerned as to whether this will affect a trade in value.

Any ideas appreciated. :blink:

Hi

You have two problems with doing caravan body repairs like this. The first is alluminium stretches when damaged and is very difficult/impossible to panel beat flat so the only solution is to fill the dent. Filling leads you onto the second problem and that is to do with the paint finish on caravans which is an enamelled finish. You can spray the filled repair, but you will find that the paint finish will dis-colour differently to the enamelled finish and hence show up. I know that most dealers, as well as some private buyers (and I include myself in this category), will be very wary of a repair like this; the simple reason being you don't know whether the surface has been punctured or not. Why is this an issue? Well a filled repair is unlikely to be fully waterproof as most fillers are not water resistant. So you can see the problem. I, like most others, will probably choose to find some way of disguising the problem which can be reversed if necessary.

I suppose there is one other solution and that is to replace the whole panel!!

Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon/Abbey Aventura 320

It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop. — Wisdom of Confucius

Dont fancy changing the whole panel!

I just hoped there would be something relatively straightforward. Just have to put up with it I guess. ..and hope when I trade it in, the dealer doesnt mark the price down too much! :unsure:

Hi Gazhyde

The 2 webb site listed here are paint suppliers for caravans, have a look at their webb site, they may offer the right product ( paint and filler etc) to repair your panels

Paint www. cara-match. co. uk

Paint http://www. biomastic. co. uk/

Best of luck

Dave

I hear what carabiker is saying, but I've had my opinions confirmed buy Davan Caravans, they advised against doing anything to a similar dent on my caravan. They said they could do a perfect match, but even this couldn't be guaranteed against being noticable at some point in the future and they confirmed that they would be suspicious of any dis-coloured repair.

Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon/Abbey Aventura 320

It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop. — Wisdom of Confucius

Archived