Swan Neck Towbars

Patrick

Hi

I have to fit a tow bar to my new car and i was looking for some information. I use a 2004 alko stabliser and i would like to know will this system be ok to use with a swan neck towbar, or will i have to do any modifications. Where are you supposed to clip the safety cable. Because i remember reading an article in the cc magazine about not clipping your safety cable around the tow ball. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

For swan necks see my comments in this topic

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums/index. ..?showtopic=2924

For breakaway cable download instructions from NCC site

http://www. thecaravan. net/home/index. asp?id=2&rid=235

Brian

Patrick

Welcome

I use a brink removable swan neck tow ball and the AKS 2004. It is absolutely fine and I have no problems. I bought a cable bracket from an accessory shop [90p I think] and bolted it to the back using an existing hole in the bar and clip the cable through that.

Hope this helps.

DavidC
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium pulling 2013 Coachman Pastiche
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign LWB (For Sale) 1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe 1967 Morris Oxford Farina & 1973 MGB roadster

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I have to fit a tow bar to my new car and i was looking for some information. I use a 2004 alko stabliser and i would like to know will this system be ok to use with a swan neck towbar, or will i have to do any modifications. Where are you supposed to clip the safety cable. Because i remember reading an article in the cc magazine about not clipping your safety cable around the tow ball. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

18285[/snapback]

SWAN NECK TOWBARS ARE ILLEGAL IN NEW ZEALAND APPARENTLY BECAUSE THEY ARE A CASTING AND CAN BREAK. HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING IN THE UK/EUROPE?

I HAVE NOT HEARED OF IT. ...BUT IT SEEMS ALARMING.

WONDER IF ANY OF THE BRANDS USED IN THE UK ARE THE SAME AS IN NEW ZEALAND. :unsure:

22144[/snapback]

Well I can tell you the one supplied with my new Bailey last year from the UK was unacceptable to the authorities here in NZ. And the Towbar fitters tell me they are forever removing the swan neck bars from Landrovers imported from the UK & replacing them with approved alternatives. Mind you they had no knowledge of any swan neck failures. I had to fit a towball with central bolted shaft to a flange/tongue on my Landcruiser. The engineers then filed two "flats" onto the edge of the round towball rim and fitted two parallel sections of steel to the flange/tongue to stop the towball rotating under the forces of the ALKO stabilser. I tell you these stabilisers are rocket technology in this part of the world!

SWAN NECK TOWBARS ARE ILLEGAL IN NEW ZEALAND APPARENTLY BECAUSE THEY ARE A CASTING AND CAN BREAK. HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING IN THE UK/EUROPE?

22137[/snapback]

Hi John,

I doubt that swan neck towballs are a casting. They are more likely to be a forging which is even stronger than an item machined from solid. This is because the act of forging causes the 'grain' of the material to be reformed and flow in the shape of the component.

The above relates to removables mainly.

Frank

22137[/snapback]

John - I think you have your jocks in a twist mate.

A swan-neck tow bar is usually fabricated from hydro-formed steel or mandrel bent steel and either is fixed (by welding at the factory) to the main part of the tow bar bracket, or in the case of a Towsure tow bar it is bolted on under the bumper to the main tow bar bracket.

You may be getting 'swan neck' confused with the standard / traditional bolt on type tow ball. In 1998 there was a change made to UK legislation requiring that 1998 onward vehicles had the later EU compliant ball fitted (or an EU approved swan neck bar).

For the AKS 2004 or 3004 you need either a) the Al-ko bolt on ball or B) a swan neck. Other types of tow-ball do not give the required clearance for the Al-ko hitch at full articulation

Have a look at Al-ko's website and also at www. towsure. co. uk

Simon.

Various manufacurers have their own ideas on material and method of attachment of swan necks. The Brinks swan neck I had was definitely a forging and not fabricated. I can't imagine even a bolt-on being cast.

Frank

Archived