One Socket Or Two?

ajay

HELLO, IS THERE ANY POINT HAVING TWO ELECTRIC SOCKETS?

I HAVE ALWAYS GONE FOR THE DOUBLE OPTION BUT DO NOT SEE THE SENSE PAYING FOR SOMETHING WHICH IS ONLY USEFUL IF YOU ARE TRAVELING LONG DISTANCES.

HAVING TOWBAR FITTED TO NEW CAR SOON. FIAT STILO MULTIWAGON DIESEL

COMMENTS ON SOCKETS PLEASE?

I HAVE ALWAYS GONE FOR THE DOUBLE OPTION BUT DO NOT SEE THE SENSE PAYING FOR SOMETHING WHICH IS ONLY USEFUL IF YOU ARE TRAVELING LONG DISTANCES.  

HAVING TOWBAR FITTED TO NEW CAR SOON.   FIAT STILO MULTIWAGON DIESEL

18254[/snapback]

Get 2 sockets as you never know if you might need them. If you do it will cost you a lot more to have it changed.

In addition please don't shout.

Good Luck

Peter

Only if you don't want to charge your battery, operate your fridge, use your reversing lights (if fitted), or run your caravan from the car battery if your caravan battery goes flat.

Brian

Surely its only a minimal extra cost and as Brian has pointed out the second socket is pretty important for lots of things.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Get 2 sockets as you never know if you might need them. If you do it will cost you a lot more to have it changed.

18256[/snapback]

I'd would second that opinion. You never know.

I only got N & S fitted on my last 2 cars, because my dad always had 2! :blink:

I'd would second that opinion.   You never know.  

I only got N & S fitted on my last 2 cars, because my dad always had 2!  :blink:

18453[/snapback]

Anyway, Two sockets is like a membership badge of caravanners isn't it?

Whenever I see two sockets, I know that the car has, or still is, used as a tug and hence I really like the people in it from the start! :P

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

We always get the fridge running off mains at home the day before we go away. Then carry all the chilled items, milk, meat, salad etc in the ready chilled fridge. The car will only keep it at fridge temperature during the trip and not frozen, but at least when you get on site it doesn't take long for the fridge to then get down to the correct temperature again and all the chilled items are still fresh and cold. We do the same for long or short trips. We couldn't be without the S socket.

• 8 months later...

I think the necessity for twin electrics stemmed back to earlier days of caravanning when the majority of people didn't go on mains electric hook-ups on site and relied on the car to charge the battery en route to the site.

I can't honestly see the point in using them now, I've used ours a couple of times to chill the fridge so it's ready when you get to site but the freezer compartment in most caravan fridges is so small you're better off taking a cool box and some ice packs.

Would'nt be without mine for the reasons already discussed.

We had our electrics upgraded to twin when we sold our trailer tent - I was charged £40. 00 for fitting on site including parts, I would'nt of thought it would make much difference to the price at all.

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Plus of course the 12s carries the reverse light feed - just in case you need to reverse in the dark or to warn traffic behind that you are backing-up!

And as others have said it keeps the fridge on standby mode and charges the battery - very useful if you have been a couple of nights or more on a non-hook up site.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

It would always have to be two sockets for us, we find if were towing for about an hour it tops the battery up nicely and like so many others have said preps the fridge but obviously on longer trips :)

Coachman Genius & Mazda BT50 TS2

HAVING TOWBAR FITTED TO NEW CAR SOON.   FIAT STILO MULTIWAGON DIESEL

18254[/snapback]

Caps Lock off please

Pete Admin

Volvo

Isn't there the point that if you have fog lights etc that they should work? ;)

Mind you when some folk turn their fog lights on, on the car, they never turn them off again, they just dazzle other road users, that is until Mr policeman gives them a £40 fine :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Isn't there the point that if you have fog lights etc that they should work? ;)

Mind you when some folk turn their fog lights on, on the car, they never turn them off again, they just dazzle other road users, that is until Mr policeman gives them a £40 fine  :)

47812[/snapback]

Hi Paul,

You're right about the fog having to work but as its on the 12N socket it should anyway!! :blink:

The reverse is on the 12S (though stricly speaking, the earth for it is on the 12N) However, it is the one light that is not a legal requirement. It's not even an MOT failure on the car!

Regards

Following on from this discussion,

13pin with adaptor or twin sockets ?

My new Passat will have 13 pin unless I specify otherwise

and why 13 pin ? is it a continental thing :rolleyes:

Following on from this discussion,

13pin with adaptor or twin sockets ?

My new  Passat will have 13 pin unless I specify otherwise

and why 13 pin ? is it a continental thing  :rolleyes:

47823[/snapback]

Yes - but you can buy 12n&s adaptor cables for both ways round:-

Caravan with 13 to car with n&s

Car with 13 to caravan with n&s

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

My Volvo came with a 13pin plug and an adaptor lead to suit the two plugs on the caravan. I got fed up with using the adaptor lead so I fitted a 13pin on the caravan. Now i just have one plug to connect. I quite like the twist lock action that the 13 pin has, which stops it falling out.

Brian

My Volvo came with a 13pin plug and an adaptor lead to suit the two plugs on the caravan. I got fed up with using the adaptor lead so I fitted a 13pin on the caravan.

47833[/snapback]

This, I guess, is exactly what we're supposed to do? It might be prudent now to carry the "opposite hand" adaptor though, just in case your Volvo should break down and the caravan need to be recovered by a tow truck with a 12N socket!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest Hobbybod
This, I guess, is exactly what we're supposed to do? It might be prudent now to carry the "opposite hand" adaptor though, just in case your Volvo should break down and the caravan need to be recovered by a tow truck with a 12N socket!Gordon.

47854[/snapback]

Very good idea of Gordon's.

Now, on the subject of adapter cables (either way) you need to check that all the wires/connections are present in the adapter, so that all the functions are transferred from the twin sockets to the 13-pin socket (or vice-versa).

Some adapters are incorrectly wired, or missing a wire or two!

The one I use for my Hobby was one such; I had to take it apart and re-wire it! You don't want to do this while being 'rescued'.

OK, so why do I still use an adapter cable with the Hobby?

Because folks, as 'Tall Limey' cheekily revealed, I still have a Swift Danette that has twin N & S plugs!

And I haven't got round to ganging up a supplementary 13-pin socket on the car!

(Still got the socket in a box ready to fit; been there ~2yrs!)

Merry Christmas to one and ALL

Archived