Damp Meter Reading Worries

oxter

I've just bought a damp meter from B & Q. Although there are generally no responses to tests around the caravan, I'm getting "ticks and clicks" around all the window bottoms near the bottom seals, especially near window catches. It is particularly bad near the kitchen sink window (Coachman Amara) where the "clicks" change to "squeals". The caravan is 18 months old and generally speaking, Coachmans (should that be Coachmen?) are well put together. I can't get my head round there being water ingress at all the windows? What is the experience of other damp meter users? Should I be worried? I don't normally bother with annual servicing so presumably a warranty claim could be dodgy after 18 months?

What would other owners do in my circumstances?

Pure guesswork on my part, but I would suspect that the readings your getting are from condensation run off, rather than water ingress. The reason for thinking this is that the areas you mention have the higher concentration of items upon which condensation is likely to form, i. e window catches etc.

However, if in doubt get it checked out.

:huh:

I've just bought a damp meter from B & Q.   Although there are generally no responses to tests around the caravan, I'm getting "ticks and clicks" around all the window bottoms near the bottom seals, especially near window catches.   It is particularly bad near the kitchen sink window (Coachman Amara) where the "clicks" change to "squeals".  The caravan is 18 months old and generally speaking, Coachmans (should that be Coachmen?) are well put together.   I can't get my head round there being water ingress at all the windows?  What is the experience of other damp meter users?  Should I be worried?  I don't normally bother with annual servicing so presumably a warranty claim could be dodgy after 18 months?

What would other owners do in my circumstances?

17943[/snapback]

Hi

i think what you are getting is condensation residue, you mentioned particulary bad around the kitchen window, if you think the sink and cooker normally located around these area's, so steam could contribute when cooking against a cold window, you may well wipe the window but some water vapour could get trapped between the bottom edge of the window and the seals and remain for a while, so when you tested the window edge's very wet signs could be read, i would not worry to greatly if were you, all the best

cb1701.

Coachman Genius & Mazda BT50 TS2

On another tack from the previous posts and I'm not saying they're wrong, but I've got one of these damp meters and I don't think they're that accurate. I think they will give you a general indication of the state of moisture content in a particular area, but it's not going to be as accurate as a several hundred pound device that I would hope the dealers use. I know this maybe crediting some dealers with more than they're due, but a decent dealer will use the proper tools for the job. What I would do in your situation is either check the area further yourself using the Mk1 eyball as suggested earlier or ask your local dealer to look at it the next time it is serviced. I do know from other forums that people are often mislead by the results obtained from these "cheap" damp meters.

Saab 9-3 Vector Sportwagon/Abbey Aventura 320

It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop. — Wisdom of Confucius

Thanks everybody. I think the problem is just condensation. It dries out completely during the day and then you get readings next morning. I've pulled back the rubber reals and everything is nice and clean underneath with the mastic still fresh, pliable and pure white so I reckon there's no ingress, just a bit of cold/ surface condensation. Had me worried though so I'll keep a close eye on the situation over the next few months

• 1 month later...

When using a damp meter, you must ensure the probes pierce through the vinyl covering to take a reading from the timber beneath. The covering is essential waterproof.

I've bought a damp meter with a gauge & swinging needle with a probe on a flexible lead. It only cost £21 deliverd ( www. diytools. co. uk ) and seems to give similar reading to those recorded by the damp survey done by my dealer. It also has accurately tracked where a known damp timber became dry.

Nez

Be aware also not to have the test probes in contact with the black window surrounds. What looks like rubber is often loaded and may conduct a small amount of electricity, thus affecting the conductivity reading upon which the damp meter relies.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Archived