Over Run Damper Faulty?

nesb003

Just got our first van (Swift Challenger) and am going over everything before our first trip.

Needed to strip and clean the over run tube as the bellows was missing and, in so doing, noticed the damper is extremely stiff to operate. It also extends itself slowly when left unrestrained. If it was a car damper the latter would make me replace it but I'm not sure if this is how a van's damper should behave. My gut instinct is it's wrong as it will be working against the weight of the van delaying or reducing the braking effect but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Sean

When pushing the hitch backwards by hand, it IS extremely difficult - also it's slow to return. The damper is designed to absorb the weight of the van when it's pushing against the towcar's braking. I think your damper is OK - but you need to replace the bellows.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi, Yes the damper is very hard to push in by hand, not so stiff when you've got 1000kg of caravan pushing it, it's designed to return to it's original position, providing there's no leaks and seals aren't perished sounds about right to me,

Johns right though the bellow needs renewing!!!!!!

Skegness 'The Sunnier Side of Britain'

Archived