Vw Passat Unladen Weight

colger23

VW brochure quotes the unladen weight of a Passat Diesel Sport Estate of 1641 kg. This is without the driver.

I have just bought a Passat Diesel Sport Estate Ex Demo, so only 4 months old, and although I havent taken delivery yet I do have the handbooks. The Technical data book is quoting a weight of 1543 kg including driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what is going on!! I have bought the car based on the brochure information and information supplied on the Towsafe site and it is to be used for towing my Bailey Provence with a max weight of 1420 kg.

Any information would be helpful.

Guest john1215

colger,

Reading from my vehicle handbook, there is no mention of any weight data in the tech specification. For my vehicle, Passat TDi 130bhp with 4 motion the weights here are with the fuel tank 90% full and excluding the driver.

Permissable GVW 2080 kgs

Unladen weight 1498kgs

Trailer weights braked grad up to 12% 1700 kgs

" " 8% 2000kgs

There is no mention of any difference with the Sport option that my vehicle has.

Checking on Whattowcar. com, my outfit as shown in my signature is a near perfect match although the site mis quote my kerbweight as being 1525kgs but adds that this may differ in the UK. It then quotes the correct max trailer weight of 1700kgs.

The only way you are going to be certain I feel is to fill the tank 90% and take it to a weighbridge.

I couldn't find an entry for your caravan to try and do a match on the whattowcar site - sorry.

john1215

Hi All,

I have posted on the old forum regarding weight and hitch limit. The hitch limit on a 2003 TDI PD130 SE is 85kgs as stated in the handbook and on the Witter bracket with bolt on ball,so why this has been reduced is a mystery,unless a lower hitch limit is recommended for the removable hitch.

To determine actual weight do as John suggests and put it on a weighbridge as even sites such as Towsafe are dependant on manufacturers updating their database. :)

Frank

I have a Passat 1. 8T book weight 1400kg. Before I bought my first van a few weeks ago took it to the local weighbridge (cost just£2) empty tank no driver came out at 1460kg. I think you are best going to the weighbridge to check.

I have brochures for 2002 and 2003 Passat.

1. 8T5spd 2002 - 1374kgs, 2003 - 1539kgs

PD130 5spd 2002 - 1395kgs, 2003 - 1565kgs

Information I received from the CC stated that VAG used to quote kerb/unladen weights totally dry ie undriveable. This had caused problems for the CC when conducting their towcar tests,deciding 85% ratios. It would appear that VAG have now conformed to EC specifications,hence the increase in weight.

Mark,in answer to you question concerning priority on noseweight gauge or torque wrench. I would buy the torque wrench and use bathroom scales and a piece of 2x2 for noseweight until you get the proper gauge. I always check noseweight and wheel nuts before each tow. Better safe than sorry. :)

I rear recently that Corus the worlds largest steel producer is putting up sheet steel costs by 20%.This is obviously going to affect the car industry. Will they put prices up or make them of thinner material?,hence reducing weight. How they could do this without major implications on Encap,is anybodies guess. :unsure:

Frank

In the documents for my vehicle I have an EEC Certificate of Conformity. It states the vehicle Identification Number and where it is located so is specific to my car. It states the Maximum Mass of braked trailer but more importantly "Mass of the Vehicle with bodywork in running order."Do you have a certificate like that?

Hi Geoff,

We have a CofC for our Corsa SXI but only received it because I queried the emmissions and consequently the road tax rate. The DVLA obtained a copy from the manufacurer for me,the local dealer couldn't help,of course. I have also had one for a Merc. supplied with the car,but not for the Passat. From what I have been told the details on these CofCs are for a batch of vehicles of the same model,only the chassis number is unique. The kerbweight information does appear on some of the new registration documents,but not all for some reason. :)

Hi Geoff,

We have a CofC for our Corsa SXI but only received it because I queried the emmissions and consequently the road tax rate.

1447[/snapback]

Frank did you get anywhere with your query? The reason i ask is that i reckon i pay more road tax on my Astra than my son does on his older 1. 4 petrol engined Astra. Now I remember choosing the 2 litre diesel turbo cause it had best fuel economy of all the Astra engines. ..and it should be lowest emissions/mile.

Hi Geoff,

The data that is provided is for a batch of vehicles of an identical model,except of course the chassis number. The brochure for the Corsa gave emissions as 151g/km which is in one band but when we received the car road tax was in the next higher band. I queried this with the dealer who passed the buck to the DVLA. They provided me with the CofC which states 154g/km,just into the next higher band. Vauxhall obviously picked the lowest batch emissions on file to quote in the brochure,as you would expect. :(

Frank