Caravan Weights

colger23

I viewed a 2002 Swift Conqueror 630LUX over the weekend - just saw it at a dealers and was surprised to see the mtplm weight was quoted on the plate as 1410 kgs. This was a twin axle, fixed bed and with a rear bathroom and parallel lounge in superb condition.

I was interested as I have a new Pageant Provence with a mptlm of 1420 kgs.

Looking at the spec for a new similar 2005 Swift Conqueror the mtplm is now over 1700 kgs - thats a rise in weight of over 300 kgs in 3 years.

Does anyone know why 'vans keep increasing in weight - the spec between the 2002 and 2005 Swift is similar.

At this rate we shall all need big 4X4 shortly to tow even the smallest caravan!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

According to information which I have in front of me at the moment, weights for a 2002 Swift Conqueror 630Lux are MIRO 1442gs, User payload 288gs, MTPLM 1730Kgs. A discrepancy somewhere!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

John, those weights sound more like it however, I looked at the plate attached to the caravan next to the door which is where the figures came from.

The van is advertised by http://www. martinsofexeter. co. uk

To close this subject I visited the dealer again today and sure enough the plate on the side of the caravan says mtplm 1410 kgs - I had a sales guy with me and on close inspection it is apparent that someone has stuck a different plate on the 'van. It is definately not the original. We also checked in the handbook and the mtplm is being quoted as 1730 kgs - as we all suspected.

The dealer has altered all his records and thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Another case of buyer beware I guess.

- I had a sales guy with me and on close inspection it is apparent that someone has stuck a different plate on the 'van.   It is definately not the original.   We also checked in the handbook and the mtplm is being quoted as 1730 kgs - as we all suspected.

17169[/snapback]

I wonder what was used to tow this van. Presumably the van was well outside the vehicles towing limit and 100% ratio,even though it appeared to be OK,or am I being overly suspicious. :blink:

Frank

Frank, Im sure your thoughts are correct - I suspect it was done just in case they were stopped. I cannot think of any other reason for doing this, I couldnt believe it which is why I followed it through!!

Archived