Battery Repair

xploraman

Anyone know if it is possible to get a repair done on a Battery?

My Caravan came with a Leisure Battery which appeared to be in very good condition. However, on closer inspection the Positive terminal post has corroded away so badly as to almost being at the point of breaking away. The reason i did not notice it immediately is that the top of the post (the visible part) is perfectly solid and ok. The corrosion is half way down.

As the Battery holds a good charge and works perfectly, it seems such a shame to have to think about chucking it if i can get a repair done.

I have no doubt at all that the damage was caused through sheer neglect by the previous owner who must have left it connected throughout the Winter.

Anyone know if it is possible to get a repair done on a Battery?

My Caravan came with a Leisure Battery which appeared to be in very good condition. However, on closer inspection the Positive terminal post has corroded away so badly as to almost being at the point of breaking away. The reason i did not notice it immediately is that the top of the post (the visible part) is perfectly solid and ok. The corrosion is half way down.

As the Battery holds a good charge and works perfectly, it seems such a shame to have to think about chucking it if i can get a repair done.

I have no doubt at all that the damage was caused through sheer neglect by the previous owner who must have left it connected throughout the Winter.

16855[/snapback]

I dont know a lot about 'leisure' batteries but I have more than 50 years experience of 'normal' and 'heavy duty' batteries and the short answer has to be "no" if the post is so badly corroded that it needs a new post. BUT if there is enough good post remaining then just use a standard clamp on it rather than a quick release type and if you can tighten the clamp and it stays in place it should be fine. <_<

And I meant to say see if you can get a good self tapping screw type post terminal.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Sorry to disagree Ted,

You can have posts repaired, I have done loads of lorry batteries, but they should have some post left to solder to. try an auto electrician, our local one is Heathcoats of Rotherham, most good battery firms will do it.

DO NOT TRY IT YOURSELF, they can blow up! and don't have your battery on charge for a day or so before you take it for repair.

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Yes, you can have terminals re-formed or re-fitted. We have had it done by Bristol Batterys in Bristol. I remember they poured molten lead into a mould while it was on the teminal. Ours was burnt away.

Sayiny all that new batterys are so cheap, why bother?

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Yes, you can have terminals re-formed or re-fitted.   We have had it done by Bristol Batterys in Bristol.   I remember they poured molten lead into a mould while it was on the teminal.   Ours was burnt away.

Sayiny all that new batterys are so cheap, why bother?

16906[/snapback]

Interesting replies!

Yes i am aware of the 'explosive' possibilities to Batteries which was what made me wonder if they actually did do this type of repair. Now i know.

As for 'new batteries being so cheap. ..so why bother'? I'm not sure what the best price on a Leisure Battery is, but i've just shelled out £40 for a new Car Battery. I wouldn't call that 'cheap', but then my car is an absolute necessity.

If my Caravan Battery can be repaired for a few quid. ..then it makes sense to have it done.

Sorry to disagree Ted,

You can have posts repaired, I have done loads of lorry batteries, but they should have some post left to solder to. try an auto electrician, our local one is Heathcoats of Rotherham, most good battery firms will do it.

DO NOT TRY IT YOURSELF, they can blow up! and don't have your battery on charge for a day or so before you take it for repair.

Paul

16905[/snapback]

I did not say you can not repair them I said the short answer was NO - especially if the post is so badly damaged that it requires a complete remoulding of the original - I also have repaired many, had to as no replacements were available in the middle of the Arabian wasteland, but where possible we would try and use what was left.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Archived