Overnight Stay With Car Hitched?

Yossa

When parked up for the night can the car be left hitched to the caravan and do the two 7 pin sockets need to be disconnected? We wouldn't be connected up to the site electrics, although we would want the fridge to work, which I guess we would need run on gas.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Hi Yossa. We never disconnect our twin sockets when parked. We put the fridge on gas though. Never had any probs. But, if you feel that you should, remember to reconnect next morning!

Hi Yossa,

What you need to remember is that with the electrics connected you will be running off your car battery, rather than your caravan battery. The fridge will not work on electric with the car engine stopped. Depending on how much you use your electrics, there is a possibility of flattening your car battery, although this would be unlikely on a one night stop. To be safe though, and for what is involved, it would be better to disconnect your leads and then you will be on the caravan battery and your car will start in the morning.

Brian

Leave it connected.

If you leave the battery selector set to caravan, the caravan battery will be used during the overnight stop and the car battery won't be depleted. The caravan battery will then be recharged from the 12S connection during towing the next day.

Leave it connected.

If you leave the battery selector set to caravan, the caravan battery will be used during the overnight stop and the car battery won't be depleted. The caravan battery will then be recharged from the 12S connection during towing the next day.

16929[/snapback]

Roger,

There is no battery selector switch on Bailey Pageants (and I believe most other modern caravans are the same). Switching is done automatically by relays in the caravan.

Unplugged from car 12v supply is from caravan battery

Plug into car (engine off) 12v supply is switched to car battery

Start engine - 12v supply in caravan is switched off except for battery charging and fridge.

Brian

Thank you all for the replies, I think that I will unplug the sockets.

Now, when I park up for the night with the car still attached is it necessary to lower jockey wheel? or will the corner steadies suffice?

Yossa

Thank you all for the replies, I think that I will unplug the sockets.

Now, when I park up for the night with the car still attached is it necessary to lower jockey wheel? or will the corner steadies suffice?

Yossa

16966[/snapback]

I always lower the jockey wheel on the basis that the weight is then spread out over three supports at the front, rather than two. However, the front steadies should still be adequate on their own and as you have a rear bedroom most of your weight will be at the back.

Brian

I have found that there is no need to unplug, just put the steadies down, run the fridge on gas and go to bed. Off to an early start in the morning!

(never use battery power for the fridge when you are not moving - it's the quickest way ever to drain any battery).

The grey plug is operated through a relay and is only live when the car engine is running.

Best wishes TrevorM1 (always looking for a flat pitch)

The grey plug is operated through a relay and is only live when the car engine is running.

Best wishes  TrevorM1  (always looking for a flat pitch)

16975[/snapback]

The relay only controls pin 6 supplying the fridge.

Pin 4 is a permanent feed which will supply all other caravan 12v supplies from the car battery when the 12S plug is connected. This does not apply to older caravans which have a car/caravan battery switch.

Brian

Thanks for the replies. I have never left the car attached when parking up for the night, so I feel a bit more confident about attempting it now.

Just so I am clear on this point, if I leave the leads plugged into the car but switch on the van battery, by putting the battery switch in the van to 'on', does this mean the car battery in effect has been disconnected?

Yossa

Just so I am clear on this point, if I leave the leads plugged into the car but switch on the van battery, by putting the battery switch in the van to 'on', does this mean the car battery in effect has been disconnected?

Yossa

17097[/snapback]

My 03 Pageant does not have a car/caravan battery selector switch, just an on/off switch. I would guess yours is the same. Is this what you are referring to?

All this does is switch off all 12v electrics. It does not change the source i. e car or caravan battery, which is automatically controlled by relays located in the caravan when you plug into the car. The main reason for this is if your caravan battery goes flat, you can plug into the car and use the car battery as an "emergency" source. See page 48 of the Bailey handbook

Brian

Brian, there definitely is a battery selector switch on my 2001 Pageant. It allows a supply choice of on-board caravan battery or car battery, through the 12S.

The relays fitted to all caravans since the mid '90s are used to control the caravan electrics when the car engine is running and have no effect when the caravan is pitched, with the 12S connected.

If newer caravans don't have such a selector switch, then that's a backward step.

Roger,

I can assure you that my 2003 Pageant does not have a car/caravan battery selector switch as switching is done automatically with relays in the caravan. Many other modern caravans are the same.

Its quite simple really.

Plug the 12S into the car and you are connected to the car battery, unplug and your connected to the caravan battery.

I quote from my Bailey manual

The system is fitted with an automatic relay to select the power source. When the car is connected via the 12S plug the car power will be used. When the car is not connected the battery and or the power supply will be used to power the caravan

It seems that many people are unaware of this. I suspect yours may have been one of the last of the old system.

Brian

Brian, automatic is only best if the selection is the one you want.

I can select battery source from a switch on the control panel. This switch controls the source when the car engine isn't running. In common with other caravans from mid '90s onwards the relays just control things when the engine is running.

It would seem that on very new caravans you'd have to get out and unplug the 12S to "select" caravan battery. I prefer the older system.

My 03 Pageant does not have a car/caravan battery selector switch, just an on/off switch. I would guess yours is the same. Is this what you are referring to?

All this does is switch off all 12v electrics. It does not change the source i. e car or caravan battery, which is automatically controlled by relays located in the caravan when you plug into the car. The main reason for this is if your caravan battery goes flat, you can plug into the car and use the car battery as an "emergency" source. See page 48 of the Bailey handbook

Brian

17102[/snapback]

Hi Brian

That is the switch that I was referring to, sorry for the confusion. In conclusion then, to save draining the car battery, I will have to unplug the 12s plug (the van is a 2003 model like yours).

Thanks for the help.

Yossa

I missed a ferry once at Le Havre by leaving the van connected to the car during a wait over night on the dockside. Mind you it was early March so more use of lighting, plus the car battery was getting on a bit.

Brian, automatic is only best if the selection is the one you want.

17543[/snapback]

Roger,

I did not say it was the best or the one I wanted. Its the one I got that came with the caravan - take it or leave it!

Having got it, I do not find it a problem as long as you understand what is happening. You still need a relay in the car to operate the fridge (pin 6) which then triggers the relays that control the permanent feed from pin 4. The other thing it does, which I did not mention, is that it cuts all 12v supplies in the caravan (except fridge and battery charger) when the car engine is running so if you want to use say a portable powered coolbox connected to the normal 12v supplies in the caravan, you will get no power. If you need to do this, you have the come off the 12v fridge supply or put it in the car.

As you can imagine to change back to the "old" system would be very complicated and in my opinion, pointless

Brian

Archived