Re Wiring Question...

a18041967

I need to move the two power sockets on the back of my car. The only sensible way of doing this without removing the towbar is to dismantle the two sockets re position them and reassemble again.

Obviously I'll make a note of the various wires etc, am I asking for trouble, is this going to be fairly easy task?

Its a straght forward job to do this, just make sure you do not have any live supply to the wiring whilst it is disconnected from the sockets, probably easier to disconnect the car battery while your doing it.

If your unsure of the connections, this site, one of many will give you the answer: http://www. rydertowing. co. uk/trailer_towba. ..wbar_wiring. htm

For referenece the wiring is as follows. ....

The 12N socket.

The socket is coloured black and houses 7 pins which are are numbered 1 to 7

Pin Cable Colour Function

1. Yellow Left turn signal

2. Blue Fog light's

3. White Earth

4. Green Right turn signal

5. Brown Right hand side light

6. Red Brake lights

7. Black Left hand side light

socketn.gif

The 12S socket (pre 1998) note. .. see link in brian's posting below for post 1998

The socket is coloured grey and houses 7 pins which are are numbered 1 to 7

Pin Cable Colour Function

1. Yellow Reversing light

2. Blue Caravan Battery or charger

3. White Earth

4. Green Constant 12v feed

5. Brown Sensing device

6. Red Refrigerator

7. Black Spare

sockets.gif

Hope this helps

Peter

I need to move the two power sockets on the back of my car. The only sensible way of doing this without removing the towbar is to dismantle the two sockets re position them and reassemble again.

Obviously I'll make a note of the various wires etc, am I asking for trouble, is this going to be fairly easy task?

16673[/snapback]

I have just changed the socket bracket on my car for the type with an integral bumper guard. The new one came with slots to slide the cables in. I simply cut the old bracket with tin-snips to release the cables, saved disconnecting and reconnecting wiring. Hope this helps.

dacamper.

For referenece the wiring is as follows. ....

Peter

16685[/snapback]

Peter,

The wiring given on the 12S plug is for the pre 1998 standard, which is fine if your caravan is pre 1998. Post 1998 the 12S plug wiring is significantly different. For both standards see link below. Obviously, your car needs to be wired to suit your caravan

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. htm

Brian

I have just moved mine and I did as dacamper did except I used an hacksaw - saves worrying about which wire goes where

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

hi also be careful with battery some modern cars dont like battery disconected as ecu can have probs and need reseting aftawards

Well thanks for all your advice, I took care, didn't disconnect the battery just made sure I identified the live wire and used masking tape.

The biggest problem, I dismantled the sockets, rewired the and then. ..... noticed I'd put the bracket on upside down dooooh.

Cheers

Was just about to change the car battery on our car today (Frontera 2. 2 diesel) now wondering if by removing the battery this will upset the ECU.

Was contemplating conecting the power leads on the car via a set of jump leads to a slve battery and then installing the new battery. That way power will not be interupted.

Alternative is to wait till the son in law is available as he says he has a gadget which plugs into the cigar lighter.

Was just about to change the car battery on our car today (Frontera 2. 2 diesel) now wondering if by removing the battery this will upset the ECU.

Was contemplating conecting the power leads on the car via a set of jump leads to a slve battery and then installing the new battery. That way power will not be interupted.

Alternative is to wait till the son in law is available as he says he has a gadget which plugs into the cigar lighter.

16811[/snapback]

Changing the battery on the car should not upset the ECU or MEMS or such but the radio will lose its code and will have to be re-input so make sure you have that handy or if your radio will take it disable the code first BUT remember to reactivate it afterwards.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Archived