Sign in to follow this  
phil1041

Alko Wheel Locks Cut Through

Went to the van this morning to find that all the steadies had been raised, funny i thought, so i went to the front of the van and saw burn marks on the hitch and the AKS stabiliser and saw that the hitchlock had been burnt off, i then saw burn marks on both nearside wheels and no Wheel locks!! They had been cut through at the rear of the tyres flush with the hub receiver as clean as a whistle, they had removed all traces of the locks and hitchlock, even replacing the hitch cover, obviously intending to come back and take the van hoping i would not notice their handywork!

To say i am piiied off is an understatement.

They cut through both cables as well whilst cutting off the hitchlock.

Had to do running repairs to the cable so i could get the van to the dealers where they are now assesing the damge to the wheels, hubs and hitch.

I have posted this on the Alko forum for their attention, although i don't suppose there is a lot you can do faced with a gas cutter!

Phil.

Sorry to hear that Phil, goes to show nothing is acytelene cutter proof!!...

Sorry to hear that Phil, goes to show nothing is acytelene cutter proof!!...

Thanks Neil, no your right, i don't know what else i can do to be honest.

Phil.

Where was the van stored Phil ? At home or away ?

If away, what luck that you went there and found the result of their scummy work, before the van went.

Where was the van stored Phil ? At home or away ?

If away, what luck that you went there and found the result of their scummy work, before the van went.

It was at home, albeit in a field adjacent to my house behind a padlocked 5 bar gate, not that the padlock and chain presented any problem to them! but the insurance company insisted on it.

Phil.

Pity, in a way, that you hadn't left it 'as is', informed plod and done a stake-out. Might have caught the xxxxxxxx in the act.

Thanks Neil, no your right, i don't know what else i can do to be honest.

Phil.

Maybe you could get some kind of alarm that connects by a cable to your house and goes off if the connection is broken ?

Pity, in a way, that you hadn't left it 'as is', informed plod and done a stake-out. Might have caught the xxxxxxxx in the act.

Much as it pains me to say it being a retired Police Officer myself, i did exactly that and was advised this plan of action would be 'unsafe' and they gave me a crime number!

Phil.

Much as it pains me to say it being a retired Police Officer myself, i did exactly that and was advised this plan of action would be 'unsafe' and they gave me a crime number!

Phil.

Sorry about your van, not sure what else you could do to protect it.

They probably didn't have time to do a Risk Assesment for it, why not couple your van up to an electric fence, sorry you would probaly get done for assault against the criminals. 2 cars accross the road broken into 2 nights ago and all they got was a crime number over the phone no visit!

Edited by dave11a

Thank you to all for the support, however, i posted this on the ALKO forum hoping for a response from them, having invested almost £500 on these locks, albeit they were supplied with the van it will of course be costed in, (they are £221 each on the Alko website) and in the past, sung the praises of the product, i have to say i am a little dissapointed with the apparant ease with which they were removed.

Whilst i appreciate that a gas cutter can deal with most things, surely there is something that Alko can do to make it more difficult for the thieves to access the bolt that enters the receiver behind the wheel?

I still await a response from ALKO, is it worth replacing the locks, or would i be better just removing all the wheels completely?

ALKO, do you have any comment please?

Phil.

We've got a "Text Alert" device on the car alarm - the car has it's own sim card and will "text" you when an alarm is triggered. - works well with a Cat 1 alarm, maybe could think about this for the 'van?

We've got a "Text Alert" device on the car alarm - the car has it's own sim card and will "text" you when an alarm is triggered. - works well with a Cat 1 alarm, maybe could think about this for the 'van?

Thanks for the suggestion, the van has an alarm and Tracker, that would have activated as soon as the van was moved, so i would probably have got the van back at some stage, question is, would i want it back after these scumbags had been in it??

Phil.

Rock solid alibi, stakeout, 12 bore shotgun = no more thieving scum. :D

Regards, Mikey :D

Rock solid alibi, stakeout, 12 bore shotgun = no more thieving scum. :D

Then blame it on the scarecrow who was just doing his job, 'onest guv :o

Seriously though it is a dilemma, once it as been stolen do you want it back.

Our CC insurance replaces old with new, so other than the memories we have in video's, photographs and in our heads, the rest are just material things and can be replaced, no sentimentality lost on the caravan.

Steve

I had an Alko hithlock on my Alko 3004 hitch. .I left the key for it in my car, the car was broken into and the key stolen among alot of other keys. ..Caravan is stored 30 miles away and thieves would not know this. ..Bad bit was I didn't have any keys to get the hitchlock off. ..The guy who owns the storage compound used to run a caravan dealership for many years, I asked him what he thought and the answer was " no problem I can get one of those off in under 10 minutes " said he. ..With the use of an electric drill and a tungston carbide drill bit he managed the job in about 8 minutes. .He has about 150 vans in storage and says he often gets this problem with lost keys and hasn't yet come across a security device that has beaten him. .He says one advantage for him is that he is not restricted on time or noise whereas a thief is

Cheers

Hobbynut

I had an Alko hithlock on my Alko 3004 hitch. .I left the key for it in my car, the car was broken into and the key stolen among alot of other keys. ..Caravan is stored 30 miles away and thieves would not know this. ..Bad bit was I didn't have any keys to get the hitchlock off. ..The guy who owns the storage compound used to run a caravan dealership for many years, I asked him what he thought and the answer was " no problem I can get one of those off in under 10 minutes " said he. ..With the use of an electric drill and a tungston carbide drill bit he managed the job in about 8 minutes. .He has about 150 vans in storage and says he often gets this problem with lost keys and hasn't yet come across a security device that has beaten him. .He says one advantage for him is that he is not restricted on time or noise whereas a thief is

Cheers

Hobbynut

I am convinced that any determined thief can steal whatever they want. I think that the worst enemy to a thief is time so I try to make my caravan security as time consuming as possible including :-

Having the caravan the 'wrong way round' on the drive.

Leaving the motor mover drive wheels on

Al-Ko Hitchlock

Al-Ko Secure

Steady Locks

Jockey Wheel Lock

Mind you it's frustrating everytime you go away !!

Bill

I am convinced that any determined thief can steal whatever they want. I think that the worst enemy to a thief is time so I try to make my caravan security as time consuming as possible including :-

Having the caravan the 'wrong way round' on the drive.

Leaving the motor mover drive wheels on

Al-Ko Hitchlock

Al-Ko Secure

Steady Locks

Jockey Wheel Lock

Mind you it's frustrating everytime you go away !!

Bill

I agree. Like you, my theory is that the longer it takes to steal, the greater the chance they will go elsewhere. Although I don't leave the mover drive rollers on, I do use. ......

Al-ko Hitchlock

Al-Ko Secure

Steady Locks

Two Ground Anchors

Security Post

Alarm System installed in van

Seperate Alarm point linked to house alarm.

4 off CCTV cameras with 24hr realtime digital recording.

And, what I consider the best security of all, for us, the van on the drive nose first. Its a couple of inches from a brickwall and is a twin axle so takes some pushing and of course when being pushed, very difficult to steer.

And And, a dog who although not big, is an alarm in herself. Anybody in the front garden, day or night will start her barking, and until you show her whose there, or indeed that there is nobody there, she will not shut up.

Also my wife, who is at home most of the time.

It takes me at least 25 minutes to get it off the drive, and I've got the keys. :D

But never say never. :angry:

Edited by SuperMike

Phil,

I'm sorry to hear of the attempted theft and have sent you a PM to get your contact details and information that may assist us.

I also apologise that you havent received a response up until now. Unfortunately, the forums are not monitored on a daily basis, so I have only picked up the post this morning.

I'll wait to hear back from you.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober

Phil,

I'm sorry to hear of the attempted theft and have sent you a PM to get your contact details and information that may assist us.

I also apologise that you havent received a response up until now. Unfortunately, the forums are not monitored on a daily basis, so I have only picked up the post this morning.

I'll wait to hear back from you.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober

Thank you Paul, i have replied to your PM

Phil.

Just as an update to all this. ..........

I have now discovered that the thiefs accessed the Alko receiver by simply placing the cutter nozzle in the next wheel spoke, in other words, they didn't even have to climb under the van to cut through the bolts, I consider this to be a fundamental flaw in its design, i have raised this issue with ALKO who say that their product is the DEFINITIVE wheel lock.

After much lauding of this product in the past by me, i will now leave you all to draw your own conclusions, on both the product and the attitude of ALKO.

Phil.

I'm confused now . .... :(

Some low-lifes turn up with a gas-cutter and a plan to steal your 'van - highly unlikely to be a "passing by" given your description. The Alko lock slows them down such that it would take, from your description, 2 visits for the theft to occur, The "mess" made by the forced removal alerts you and your 'van is still yours.

If this had been a "normal" wheel lock I guess your 'van would be a few hundred miles away.

and yet you still seek to criticise Alko ??? Reads to me like you wish the 'van had been stolen.

If you really want a 'van that cannot be stolen from you there are a whole load in my dealers, just don't buy one then it can't be stolen from you.

If they want it they will steal it. . all you/we can do is make it difficult . .. seems that Alko made it difficult enough . .. took a gas cutter and a load of time . ..

Personal thought is more "Well done" Alko

I'm confused now . .... :(

Some low-lifes turn up with a gas-cutter and a plan to steal your 'van - highly unlikely to be a "passing by" given your description. The Alko lock slows them down such that it would take, from your description, 2 visits for the theft to occur, The "mess" made by the forced removal alerts you and your 'van is still yours.

If this had been a "normal" wheel lock I guess your 'van would be a few hundred miles away.

and yet you still seek to criticise Alko ??? Reads to me like you wish the 'van had been stolen.

If you really want a 'van that cannot be stolen from you there are a whole load in my dealers, just don't buy one then it can't be stolen from you.

If they want it they will steal it. . all you/we can do is make it difficult . .. seems that Alko made it difficult enough . .. took a gas cutter and a load of time . ..

Personal thought is more "Well done" Alko

Entwood

So you think i actually wanted my van to be stolen do you? If i had wanted the van to be stolen, i would have left it as was and let them come back for it!! forgive me, but that was a rather silly remark on your part.

Of course i can crticise Alko, most companies have a policy of continous improvement, i have pointed a flaw in the product, i have made suggestions to combat this and improve the product, what on earth is wrong with that?

Phil.

Entwood

So you think i actually wanted my van to be stolen do you? If i had wanted the van to be stolen, i would have left it as was and let them come back for it!! forgive me, but that was a rather silly remark on your part.

Of course i can crticise Alko, most companies have a policy of continous improvement, i have pointed a flaw in the product, i have made suggestions to combat this and improve the product, what on earth is wrong with that?

Phil.

Absolutely nothing. .. but that statement does not sit with your previous one. Yes . . I will draw my own conclusions . . but maybe not about Alko . .. :)

Just as an update to all this. ..........

I have now discoveredo be a fundamental flaw in its design, i have raised this issue with ALKO who say that their product is tthat the thiefs accessed the Alko receiver by simply placing the cutter nozzle in the next wheel spoke, in other words, they didn't even have to climb under the van to cut through the bolts, I consider this the DEFINITIVE wheel lock.

After much lauding of this product in the past by me, i will now leave you all to draw your own conclusions, on both the product and the attitude of ALKO.

Phil.

Absolutely nothing. .. but that statement does not sit with your previous one. Yes . . I will draw my own conclusions . . but maybe not about Alko . .. :)

In what way exactly?

I take it then you have conceded that i didn't actually want my van stolen then?

Phil.