Caravan Jack

Audiman

Hi All

Not prepared to spend £65+ on an Alko side jack, want a scissor jack. ...problem is that they are only for 1 tonne.

Does anybody know anywhere that sells 1. 5 or 2 tonne scissor jacks?

OR will a 1 tonne jack be OK as it is not lifting the whole van?

Many thanks

Hi All

Not prepared to spend £65+ on an Alko side jack, want a scissor jack. ...problem is that they are only for 1 tonne.

Many thanks

16061[/snapback]

We have a 1900k twin axle caravan, whilst touring in france we had a puncture I used a 1 tonne scissor jack, to raise the caravan to change the wheel it was a doddle !!

I have welded a bolt on to the winding end so the I can use my cordless drill with a socket to raise the jack to the axle support then use a socket wrench to lift the weight. Makes it a lot easier than the winding handle, I can lie on my back and use one hand. If you see what I mean, Harry ???!!!

Hi All

Many thanks

16061[/snapback]

Hi.

Try TOWSURE item J45 scissor jack 1500kg capacity £11. 25. Bargain

Dave

My Alko scissor jack says it has a 2000kg limit on the sticker on the side.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

You might find that your car jack will suffice - just make sure it will go under the van chassis when a tyre is deflated.

16081[/snapback]

Might be a lack of suitable jacking points & the shape of the jack pad itself could severely hamper stability when raised. The Alko scissor jack has quite a definite connection with the bracket bolted to the chassis.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

I don't think its worth skimping on a jack, as it could have dire consequences. ..

How much is your life or limbs worth when it comes to changing your wheel with a 'cheap' jack that has just collapsed whilst you where under or near the caravan. ..??? Its not worth the risk for a paltry £65.

Seen it happen on a car, not a pretty sight.

Munster Leisure Services.

Caravan & Motorhome Sales, Servicing & Repairs

Official Service Agents for: Dometic :: Thetford :: Truma :: Whale

You might find that your car jack will suffice - just make sure it will go under the van chassis when a tyre is deflated.

16081[/snapback]

Don't even think of using the jack supplied with your car. :blink:

You can buy a relatively small 2 ton trolley jack for well under £20 which you can use safely on the caravan and car. They even come with a case to keep them tidy. :)

I know that they are slightly bulky,the one that I carry is about 20"x6"x6" in its case,but you can't beat them for stability.

Our van is also equipped with the Al-ko side lift system but it is pretty toy like as are most supplied car jacks. I would only use it to lift the van sufficently until the trolley jack would go under the axle reinforcement plate if a wheel had come off.

Don't forget to chock the opposite van wheel with the van attached to the car and both handbrakes on.

Frank

The problem with the trolley jack is it is heavy to carry. ...if you want to keep your weight down when traveling.

I was also told that when you get a flat on a caravan, it does not give enough clearance to get the trolley jack under. :unsure:

The advice i have been given from my dealer is. .. jack it up so far with the scissor jack, than put the legs down on the caravan to the floor.

Keep doing this until the wheel can come off.

Never use the legs to raise the van.

If the jack slips. ...the legs will support the weight.

Sounds good/safe advice.

Obviously, never put the full weight of the van on the legs, without the wheel on.

Frank,

I was never told to chock the other wheel or put the caravan handbrake on (when hitched to the car. :unsure: .

Glad you said that. ;)

Better safe then sorry.

I'm one of the none experts, if you have not noticed. :blink::)

The problem with the trolley jack is it is heavy to carry. ...if you want to keep your weight down when traveling.

I was also told that when you get a flat on a caravan, it does not give enough clearance to get the trolley jack under. :unsure:

The advice i have been given from my dealer is. .. jack it up so far with the scissor jack, than put the legs down on the caravan to the floor.

Sounds good/safe advice.

Obviously, never put the full weight of the van on the legs, without the wheel on.

16107[/snapback]

Our van has 14"wheels and the trolley jack (minimum height 4. 5") will fit under the axle adjacent to the chassis with a flat tyre. It would not fit under the axle if a wheel was missing,but then only the Al-ko jack with chassis brackets would fit.

The beauty of the trolley jack is its large footprint and inherent stability,no need to use the steadies as long as the other wheel is chocked and braked.

The advice that your dealer has given you is quite reasonable if using a scissor jack, whether Al-ko or not.

Frank

Sounds good/safe advice.

16107[/snapback]

This is what I did when I had a puncture, it seemed safe to me. I have a twin axle which makes it even safer 'cos you have the third wheel to fall back on !!

I have been told that for short distances it's possible to take off the fourth wheel (the punctured one) and drive with three wheels - any ideas ????

This is what I did when I had a puncture, it seemed safe to me. I have a twin axle which makes it even safer 'cos you have the third wheel to fall back on !!
This is not guaranteed as both wheels on one side will travel over the same ground, there is a good chance that BOTH tyres on that side can be damaged.
I have been told that for short distances it's possible to take off the fourth wheel (the punctured one) and drive with three wheels - any ideas ????

16230[/snapback]

If absolutely essential you can move the caravan a short distance (to a safer location for tyre replacement) on three wheels, but for "short" read yards not miles!

If you are unable to fit your jack under the caravan when the tyre is flat.

Firstly, if you have the means try re-inflating the tyre, even with a puncture it may be possible to raise the side of the caravan sufficiently to insert a trolley jack.

Secondly, if the damage is more severe, lay the spare wheel on its side in front of the flat tyre, and use the tow car to pull the caravan forward onto the spare. There should then be sufficient clearance to insert the trolley jack under the chassis. Jack clear of the spare wheel and replace the damaged tyre. Drive very carefully and take the "spare" tyre to be checked at a tyre centre when you obtain a replacement for the damaged one.

I speak from experience having had a tyre "blow" on a twin axle caravan. In my case the tyre-wall of the punctured tyre was shredded in a very short distance, and reinforcing wires had protruded, damaging the surface of the second tyre on that side. The only warning I had from the driving seat that anything was wrong, was a slight vibration through the steering wheel. The tyres were approximately four years old at the time, but were all replaced as a precaution.

Regards,

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

hi All

Many thanks for the replies. Actuallly managed to find a 1. 5 tonne scissor jack from Motorsave £9. 99.

Re: the comment about the value of limbs for £65. ......I think this is what Alko are relying on when they have the nerve to charge £65 for what is basically a variation on any car jack.

I always carry a rather large lump of wood in the car when towing so that I can suport the van if I were ever to get a puntur. My only addition to the debate would be that if I were to get a puncture on ther Motorway, I would not even attmt to change it without RAC/ Police flashing lights. Three years ago on the M% Isaw a car stuffed into the rear end of a Police car on the hard shoulder whilst the vehicle in front was changing a wheel!!...........rather them than me.

Anyway, thanks fro the replies, I intend to get busy with a welder this weekend, just modifying the plate of the scissor jack to make it more caravan friendly!

Hi All

Many thanks

16061[/snapback]

THE SAFEST JACK YOU CAN BUY IS A BOTTLE JACK, ITS SMALL, QUITE CHEAP AND ABSOLUTLY SAFE

THE SAFEST JACK YOU CAN BUY IS A BOTTLE JACK, ITS SMALL, QUITE CHEAP AND ABSOLUTLY SAFE

16420[/snapback]

A bottle jack may be small and quite cheap but certainly not 'absolutely safe or safest' simply due to its small footprint. :(

The safest form of jack is an 'axle stand' but to get it in position use a trolley jack which not only has a large footprint but can also move if the load moves. You certainly won't make a trolley jack fall over. :)

Frank

The safest way is to not have a puncture!

If only we could go though life knowing we will NEVER get a puncture.

Has anyone tried those foam cans that fill the tyre enough to drive to a garage?

If you are in France and you get a grage to change a tyre for you make sure you watch where they put the jack as my Dad had a blow out on a French motorway. The recovery truck forgot the extra long ramps to get the 'van onto the lorry and bent the jockey wheel, dmaged the front off side corner steady and also as he kept winding the jockey wheel up he damaged all the back of the caravan on the road. When they eventually got it too a garage the mechanics put the jack under the floor to lift the van up and of course the floor is not strong enough and the jack went through the floor and now there is a large hole under the loo. Lucky it was under the loo where it will not be seen.

Hi All

Many thanks

16061[/snapback]

You could always talk to Caravanparts. net. I know they have one Alko jack left.

Mike

Archived