Steralising The Water Pipes After Winter

Audiman

Hi All

Van goes out this weekend and after many years of caravanning, this is the first year we will actually have hot running water!!!!

Every Spring, I always use Boots baby steralising tablets in the Aquaroll and then flush through the pipes (leaving it in the pipes for an hour).

However, this year, When I flush the system I will do the hot water tank etc as well.

My question: Will this harm/damage the hot water system in any way or is there another caravan specific product on the market that I should be using instead?

Many thanks

Hi All

Van goes out this weekend and after many years of caravanning, this is the first year we will actually have hot running water!!!!

Every Spring, I always use Boots baby steralising tablets in the Aquaroll and then flush through the pipes (leaving it in the pipes for an hour).

However, this year, When I flush the system I will do the hot water tank etc as well.

My question:  Will this harm/damage the hot water system in any way or is there another caravan specific product on the market that I should be using instead?

Many thanks

16060[/snapback]

I'm not sure that you need to do this as some vans have 2 micron filters that strain the bacteria out. As these are (should be) replaced annually at service you might not need to do this. BTW one of the biggest problems in water systems is not usually bacteria, as a flush will resolve that, it's the biofilm that forms in stagnant water that can be toxic. Thats said I know that whale recommend a disinfect so It can't do any harm.

David

Audiman

I see you are a fellow Coachman owner! I always run a weak solutioon of milton through the aquarolls and both hot and cold water pipes. Then flush it through thoroughly with fresh water. Done this for ten years or more without a problem. For drinking water I always use a Brita filter jug tho.

regards

DavidC
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium pulling 2013 Coachman Pastiche
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign LWB (For Sale) 1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe 1967 Morris Oxford Farina & 1973 MGB roadster

Audiman

I believe you should sterilise with whatever you are using i. e. Milton, flush it through afterwards with clean water and then replace the filter if you have one fitted.

Tony

Thanks for the replies!

I am not sure that I have a filter as there is nothing at the point of entry or underneath the beds that I can see. It is something that I have thought about but always forget to ask!

Anyway, off to Boots to get some more Milton. .......yummy!!!

I am not sure that I have a filter

Hi Audiman

Have a look under the sink, if you have one fitted, I think it only filters the water to the main sink.

Tony

I am not sure that I have a filter

Hi Audiman

Have a look under the sink, if you have one fitted, I think it only filters the water to the main sink.

Tony

16534[/snapback]

Thanks, I will check this!

I use denture cleaning tablets to rinse my aquarolls out with. If you can use it on false teeth it cant be harmful if you do swallow a bit if it is left in the system.

I have never changed the water filter on my caravan and nor my dads caravan which he has had for 10 - 12 years now. I drink the water from the aquaroll. Hasnt done me any harm yet. Touch wood very quickly! I only clean the aquarolls out if they smell abit but I normally leave the tops off them.

I thought you were all hardy caravanners. Using filter jugs! Honestly. That just adds extra weight. I know it isnt much but if you add it all up! I bet you are all starting to put hoovers in arent you? I don't even take a tv with me. I go away to escape tv. Evil things they are.

By the way 2-3 denture tablets does the trick for the small aquarolls.

Water is for washing - drink wine :D (or beer)

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

All purifing materials are chlorine-based, including baby-equipment steralising products like Milton, as chlorine is very effective for this purpose.

I just use Puriclean, it's more cost-effective.

The hot water system should be done as well.

Filter elements should be removed during purification and replaced by a new one if it has a 30 day life or the old one refitted if it has a 1 year life, assuming it's not a year old.

Hi All

My question: Will this harm/damage the hot water system in any way or is there another caravan specific product on the market that I should be using instead?

Many thanks

16060[/snapback]

Audiman, you take a look at your handbook we always sterilised with milton but on our new van on two occations it took a long time to get rid of the taste even though we flushed it thouroghly. The handbook is specific (or at least ours is) DONT USE THESE PRODUCTS only use what is made for the job, ie the stuff you would buy from caravan dealers/shops (I dont know why).

good luck keith

I thought you were all hardy caravanners. Using filter jugs! Honestly.

16802[/snapback]

All I'm interested in is having a nice break with my wife and kids, break being the operative word! ie a few days here and a few days there. I don't want us or the kids to have delly belly from less than perfectly clean inboard water systems hence why we have a seperated and dedicated drinking water container filled from the site tap.

Have heard that Milton and other serilisers should not be used with stainless steel. As a lot of sinks are made of this now and the water heaters are lined with it, should we still be using it?

It is possible that, as it is not in the system fot long, it is OK in this situation but has anyone got a definative answer?

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

Archived