Two Batteries For Time Off-hookup ?

Moose

Is it possible to install a second leisure battery, perhaps inboard ? how can I charge the pair of batteries or is it simpler to switch manually between them ?

But most importantly - is it worth it ?

instead of keeping a second battery in the boot and swapping them over physically.

All constructive comments appreciated

TIA

Moose

No need to physically swap batteries.

I have two 12S sockets on the back of my car - one wired conventially and one connected to a second leisure battery.

A pig-tail of two back to back 12S plugs charges the leisure battery in the car. A solar panel charges the battery in the van. Whilst driving about during the day both batteries are being charged. On return to the van I plug in the car battery whilst the van battery is still charging from the solar panel. Unless the second battery goes low during the evening the van battery hardly gets used and when we go out next day the car alternator is much more efficient at charging than the solar panel.

Never yet run out of battery power. Very seldom have to use the genny to top up except during the winter months.

ATB

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

Guest Hobbybod
Is it possible to install a second leisure battery, perhaps inboard ?  how can I charge the pair of batteries or is it simpler to switch manually between them ?

But most importantly - is it worth it ?

instead of keeping a second battery in the boot and swapping them over physically.

All constructive comments appreciated

TIA

Moose

15820[/snapback]

Moose, I have two 85Ahr batteries in the 'van, wired up in parallel giving 12V, and 170 Ahr in total.

Both are charged via the built-in 'van charger (Sterling Switch-mode) and, whenever the car engine is running, via the 12S socket.

I can lift an 85Ahr battery OK, if needed to remove from the 'van; a 120Ahr is getting blooming heavy for me!!

Both batteries can be charged via a Solar Panel, and as one is actually in an old brown TP2 battery charger box, this can be removed and charged, seperately, either in the car, or on domestic mains.

I use a motor mover, so hence the dual battery approach, but don't forget that you can run 'van 12V off your car battery, and this is automatically charged every time you use the car.

Archived