Bailey California V. Sterling Eccles Ruby

ivan leslie

looking at fixed bed with the toilet/shower room behind - have narrowed search down to Bailey California or Sterling Eccles Ruby. Any give advice on these re quality, good and bad points etc?

many thanks

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

looking at fixed bed with the toilet/shower room behind - have narrowed search down to Bailey California or Sterling Eccles Ruby. Any give advice on these re quality, good and bad points etc?

many thanks

have you looked at the Bailey Pageant Sancerre its the same layout as the senator california and same dimensions but £2000 cheaper and the difference in trim level is not much, they both have ATC system as standard, the senator gets an onboard tank, flat screen tv dvd player, heated towel rail, and alko wheel lock which does not warrant the £2000 difference in price tag .

looked at both and decided to keep the 2 grand in my pocket and order the sancerre

neil :D

Neil,

I would agree with you. Had a look at both at the NEC and the Sancerre would be high on my list when I come to change. Not only do you save cash but also 60kg in weight, and the dimensions are exactly the same as the California.

Brian

One of the mags a couple of months ago did a comparison withe the California and the Ruby if the memory is correct the ruby was quite a bit heavier I think about a 100kgs.

As for the Senator as others have mentioned there is the Flat Screen TV, DVD Player, Inboard Tank, Clock, Bathroom Cupboard, more Cupbords under the Wardrobe, along with more kitchen storage, Alko Lock, Alarm, Tracker, Towel Rail, Barbecue Point, Exteria 240 Volt point, Heavy Duty Rear Steadies plus other items which I have not mentioned. I found the access to the cupbords a bit fiddley with the plastic catches but the main thing I found with the Sancerre and quite a lot of others have mentioned it was the very dark wood finish not to my taste but each to their own.

Edited by ad210358

Having looked at both models quite closely my assessment is as follows. If you don't mind the interior design colouring the Ruby is a far more solidly built van but less well equiped. The bathroom is quite a bit bigger than the California however the penalty you pay is that it is longer and as has been said 100kgs heavier. Had Swift stayed with the orginal colourings of the Sterling we could have been tempted. In the end we have instead ordered a dealer special in the same layout based on the Charisma version which is also a bit shorter but has the benefit of a bigger bathroom than the Sancere or the California.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Having looked at both models quite closely my assessment is as follows. If you don't mind the interior design colouring the Ruby is a far more solidly built van but less well equiped. The bathroom is quite a bit bigger than the California however the penalty you pay is that it is longer and as has been said 100kgs heavier. Had Swift stayed with the orginal colourings of the Sterling we could have been tempted. In the end we have instead ordered a dealer special in the same layout based on the Charisma version which is also a bit shorter but has the benefit of a bigger bathroom than the Sancere or the California.

David

hi david what dealer special did you order on the charisma version, not sure who is doing adealer special on the new layout

Nissan Terrano II 2. 7 Tdi and 2010 Bailey Pegasus 624

We initially looked at the Ruby at the Scottish caravan show. We liked the layout but really could not live with the upholstery and woodwork. We didn't look at any other brands at the show. Then, the end of March, we called into our dealer to book our Eccles Jewel in for a service, took one look at the Senator California and ordered one - last time we'd owned a Bailey was in the 70s a Mikado!!!!

We prefer the shorter length and lighter van compared to the Ruby and of course the interior decor. We found the bathroom size fine - we don't want to use a good chunk of the van for a huge bathroom. We preferred the interior of the California to the Sancerre, really don't like the dark woodwork. We wanted a van with ATC, onboard water tank (we tour a lot in the winter).

Our van is at the dealers at the moment having the satellite and mover transferred from the Jewel - we went to see it last week to sort out where the sat stuff should be fitted - still really pleased with the van, we've ordered the chest of drawers (gives us the small table in the winter months) as an extra. Hope to take delivery next week and then just have to sort out a few days away to try it out.

We gave our van a good look over last week for quality of finish - it hadn't had its PDI - we were very pleased with the quality, no rough edges, no leaking mastic, seems to be very well put together. Only time will tell.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

hi david what dealer special did you order on the charisma version, not sure who is doing adealer special on the new layout

Owen

Its a White Arches of Rushden Archway Rockingham. If you were to contact Swift I am sure they would be able to give you details of other dealers doing a similar 'special'.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Owen

Its a White Arches of Rushden Archway Rockingham. If you were to contact Swift I am sure they would be able to give you details of other dealers doing a similar 'special'.

David

Knowepark in central Scotland are doing a special too in their Swift Island range . .. called the Iona according to their website. The standard Charisma version is tested in the new edition of Practical Caravan that arrived today.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

We looked at the California, the Sancerre and the Ruby. We quickly discounted the two bailey's. Didn't like the finish of them at all. Loved the Ruby though. . the build quality seemed so much better and we loved its striking looks. Unfortunately it is just slightly too heavy for our car. It is a company car and not due to be changed for a year or so. As a result we bought a dealer special based on the Charisma with the same layout from Broad Lane Caravans at Alcester. It is a Fairway 550. Not so keen on the interior though as the Ruby. But we already have a Sterling so do prefer the lighter wood. Looking forward to collecting in in June. Highbridge caravans also do a dealer special in this layout.

Edited by Cazzer

Re my OP - coincidence or not - have just received e-mail from Coachman saying that they are launching this layout for their 2010 series in both the Amara and Pachiche ranges.

As I have been pretty happy with my current Pastiche, might wait and see these before making a decision. Looks like this layout is going to be a winner all round!

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Re my OP - coincidence or not - have just received e-mail from Coachman saying that they are launching this layout for their 2010 series in both the Amara and Pachiche ranges.

As I have been pretty happy with my current Pastiche, might wait and see these before making a decision. Looks like this layout is going to be a winner all round!

I am not suprised that others are following with the same layout, apparantly this layout is the most popular on the Senator Range.