Mover Has To Be Coaxed Into Action - Why ?

iancwilx

My Powrtouch mover was fine all last summer, but when I checked it last week (Without tyre contact), the rollers tried to move, but kept clicking off.

After 2 or 3 minutes of button pressing, they gradually began to move, building up to normal speed.

I ran them for a couple of minutes both backwards and forwards and they seemed fine.

I decided to check it again yesterday, and they were once again "Semi stuck" and only worked after a few minutes coaxing, but were eventually fine.

I've just checked it again this morning and they were once again very unwilling to work and would only turn after much button pressing.

The motors seem to try but click off when they meet some form of resistance.

I did have a similar problem when I had it installed a few years ago. The engineer said that some parts that I can't remember the name of were too close together in the electronics box so he moved them further apart and everything worked fine - until now !

Do any of you guys out there have any advice to offer as I'm very worried about it letting me down when I arrive on site.

- Wilkie

How old is the battery in the handset? They last only about 12 mnths and the symptoms you describe could have something to do with the battery warming up when you hold the handset. .....

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The most likely cause is water ingress into the brush housings on the motors, causing the springs to rust and disintegrate.

If it is still under warranty, ring Powrtouch and get it looked at.

If not under warranty, take the wires off the motors, slide the rubber boot off, then slide the brush covers off and have alook at the state of the brushes.

If it is as suggested, ask Powrtouch to supply some new motor brushes.

Edited by Brecon

Sounds like the battery is flat or not delivering enough current - check all the connections for tightness and corrosion especially at the battery. If you've got a voltmeter check the battery voltage when you start the motors. They take a lot of current when starting and if the voltage drops a significant amount (say down to 10 volts) you've probably got a defunct battery with a shorted cell.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

LUBRICATION? Although my mover is not a Truma one there are several visible points where an occasional squirt of oil pays dividends throughout the winter. I fitted mine myself, and before I did I stripped down everything that could be just to improve my understanding of the construction/workings. Sod's Law says nothing will go wrong till it's out of warranty. I like to DIM if at all possible.

My Powrtouch mover was fine all last summer, but when I checked it last week (Without tyre contact), the rollers tried to move, but kept clicking off.

After 2 or 3 minutes of button pressing, they gradually began to move, building up to normal speed.

I ran them for a couple of minutes both backwards and forwards and they seemed fine.

I decided to check it again yesterday, and they were once again "Semi stuck" and only worked after a few minutes coaxing, but were eventually fine.

I've just checked it again this morning and they were once again very unwilling to work and would only turn after much button pressing.

The motors seem to try but click off when they meet some form of resistance.

I did have a similar problem when I had it installed a few years ago. The engineer said that some parts that I can't remember the name of were too close together in the electronics box so he moved them further apart and everything worked fine - until now !

Do any of you guys out there have any advice to offer as I'm very worried about it letting me down when I arrive on site.

- Wilkie

Just ring the manufacturer's Customer Service, I imagine that they will put you right in minutes.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.