Tv Picture ( Or Lack Of It!! ).

Hi to all, got a little problem and was hoping to get some info. I have a Status ariel on my caravan, and a status booster. Now it all works fine as i have been to a few sites this year and i just tune my TV in every time and receive freeview with no problems. However i was up at Pitlochry the other week and i could not get a picture at all. Now i suppose it could be the area as there are a lot of trees and hills up there, so what i would like to know is would i be better buying a small portable Satellite dish for these areas, and can anyone recommend a type?? I am going back to Pitlochry for a month soon and my family will get withdrawal symptoms if they can't see Britains got talent!! I am not too worried as long as the fridge works, if you know what i mean. Thanks in advance for any help,,, cheers Richard.

Ive never ever had a problem with a status, mainly because i check and re-wire them if needed as they seem to be shoddily wired up.

Did you try the booster different settings?

Yes, tried that as well. As i say it works perfectly on other sites so my set-up is ok. Just wondered if anyone had tried the portable sat dishes. Thanks.

Hi to all, got a little problem and was hoping to get some info. I have a Status ariel on my caravan, and a status booster. Now it all works fine as i have been to a few sites this year and i just tune my TV in every time and receive freeview with no problems. However i was up at Pitlochry the other week and i could not get a picture at all. Now i suppose it could be the area as there are a lot of trees and hills up there, so what i would like to know is would i be better buying a small portable Satellite dish for these areas, and can anyone recommend a type?? I am going back to Pitlochry for a month soon and my family will get withdrawal symptoms if they can't see Britains got talent!! I am not too worried as long as the fridge works, if you know what i mean. Thanks in advance for any help,,, cheers Richard.

Try www. aldi. co. uk they have a Portable Sat System on sale Thurs 21st.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

Hi,

We use satellite with few problems and you should receive perfect pictures so long as the dish is of a suitable size and there are no obstruction, such as trees, between your dish and the sat. I bought a sky dish from the local suppliers for around £20,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Them aldi dishes are soooooooooo naf, do a forum search. ..loads of info

They might be naff, but they do work. .....and who's is going to get nicked :lol: big expensive Jodrell bank dish that can track everything and Sky. ...or our little cheap Comac set up ;)

On the last site we were on i stood 9 feet in front of the dish, trying to wind the missus and son 'n' heir up by blocking the signal, didn't work, still a good picture tho'.

Edited by The Ridge Rider

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Terrestrial reception all depends on where in / near Pitlochry you are. ... The relay at Pitlochry is analogue only until sometime between July and September when it will be switched over. It requires a vertically polarised aerial.

Use the digital uk postcode checker http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/postcodechecker/ (tick the 'in the trade' box to get full details) with the caravan site's address to see the predicted situation.

The directional status 530 is pretty good but the omni one is (IMHO) virtually a waste of space.

Edited by Firestar

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

They might be naff, but they do work. .....and who's is going to get nicked :lol: big expensive Jodrell bank dish that can track everything and Sky. ...or our little cheap Comac set up ;)

On the last site we were on i stood 9 feet in front of the dish, trying to wind the missus and son 'n' heir up by blocking the signal, didn't work, still a good picture tho'.

Hi,

I'm 6ft tall and I need to stand around 6ft away from the dish before I block the picture. I did test it so I know how close I can go to it when wandering around the pitch after all I couldn't be disturbing the watching of Enderdallasoaksstreet Farm could I :D ?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

. ............had similar problems with my Omni same area. ......could get some Highland programmes but nothing else. .....I'm off for an Aldi one as well tomorrow!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Ive never had a good picture or even a viewable picture using the status with booster. Im told it works ok in areas that have switched over to digital signals.

I get a better picture using the ariel from our kitchen tv.

Im off to the shops as well.

Ive never had a good picture or even a viewable picture using the status with booster. Im told it works ok in areas that have switched over to digital signals.

I get a better picture using the ariel from our kitchen tv.

Im off to the shops as well.

Hi,

Likewise I gave up with the Status and now use a proper aerial,

Regards,

Ian.

More confused :huh: went into Makro who have two portable sat system both Comag one is in a suitcase with 390 dish and receiver £65 + Vat 2000 channel storage.

A 60cm dish with a HD receiver, also has a flat HD through window cable, 4000 channel storage £119. 95 + Vat HD upscaling for standard definition TV's, Plug and play ready, pre loaded with all Freesat channels.

Probably get to head of queue ;) at Aldi's grab a Sat system and closely look at spec. , then decide, as the above 60cm HD may be useful for home use as well, decisions, decisions thought I left it all behind when I retired :o .

Suggestions welcomed asap as I will have to be up early to get to Aldi.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

it looks like the one my mate bought, the stand is flimsy plastic (think the dish is too), Iv got a sky mini dish much more solid clamped to a pole or on a tripod.

Sky MiniDish on a Tripod, Pace 12v SkyMinibox & LG 22" LCD Tv. Maxview Satfinder and compass. 30 sec setup. sorted!

Backup single & quad LNB.

Status what??? B)

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

Well I bought an Aldi one today. ...done the wiring up of the co-ax cables tonight but unable to go any further as wind too strong for dish. .interesting read of handbooks,whole new science to me!

Do you have to have them 'in the air' or can you achieve decent results with them at ground level?...assuming no trees etc in way.

rgds

geoff

Well I bought an Aldi one today. ...done the wiring up of the co-ax cables tonight but unable to go any further as wind too strong for dish. .interesting read of handbooks,whole new science to me!

Do you have to have them 'in the air' or can you achieve decent results with them at ground level?...assuming no trees etc in way.

rgds

geoff

Yup, flat on the deck works for me, mind you i have a tripod with positional legs, i tend to have them splayed out on a windy day, but otherwise it's your call, some have a pole knocked into the ground and the dish is clamped to it, some have it attached to the jocky wheel, and then there is an A-frame clamp to support a pole. .......but try the setup at home first, spoils it for the people watching you like a hawk at your antics and getting flusted trying to get it right on the site. ;)

If it doesn't work, come back here and we all will help you out i'm sure, after all where did we get our info from????? B)

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

If it doesn't work, come back here and we all will help you out i'm sure, after all where did we get our info from?
. ....how true!

Best tip I have had from Caravan Forums was the one recently about putting pipe poly-lagging on the hanging rail with slashes across for hangers. ........works a dream and after 25 years I thought I knew everything!!!!

But satellite dishes. .whole new ballgame to me. ....I'm off to rally in the Lakes this morning so will have a look and see if anyone else has one first!

cheers

geoff

I use a sky satellite system with 60cm dish for TV when in the 'van, however, I do check for the reception quality on my Status 530 using freeview and have rarely had any problems. I was told the other day that if the Status has blue lettering on it it is OK for digital reception but not the one with red lettering. (Hope I got the colours the right way around !!)

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

rgds

geoff

Hi Geoff,

I bought the ALDI Sat System yesterday, set it up and it worked at home I clamped the dish on to top of wheel bin using suction dish, currently searching web for a cheap lightweight tripod. At a push I have thought about opening Heki and clamping it on roof and taking cable through side window.

Anyone with further ideas- suggestions would be welcome.

Enjoy your lakes trip.

Regards

Brianinhull

Mine wouldn't clamp to the bin Brian. ...so put in to some flat stainless in garden. ..but it was too windy. ..didn't get around to picture seeking. .....I'm not fixing it to the 'van at all as don't yet trust the clamp. ....

See Boro and Tigers in Conference next year!

cheers

geoff