Porch Awning Light Weight Curved Things 260 And 390

Twin Axel

Hi,

I have been looking at these light weight awnings, they seem to curve using light weight poles rather than the traditional square heavier awnings. I had my mind made up and was about to buy a 390 then I noticed this weekend on a campsite there are all sorts of different manufactuers of the same thing. Are they any good? which manufactuer is best? do the fronts roll up or are they fixed? Any thoughts?

Also just found out that there is a new model with extra support poles for 2009. ....is it worth paying the extra money for this newer model?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Hi,

I have been looking at these light weight awnings, they seem to curve using light weight poles rather than the traditional square heavier awnings. I had my mind made up and was about to buy a 390 then I noticed this weekend on a campsite there are all sorts of different manufactuers of the same thing. Are they any good? which manufactuer is best? do the fronts roll up or are they fixed? Any thoughts?

Also just found out that there is a new model with extra support poles for 2009. ....is it worth paying the extra money for this newer model?

Thanks in advance for your comments

HI

we are on our second Ultima 260, the first sent back due to faulty stitching, now the secon is the same and out of garantee so ive done a home made repair, yet to test it but if it fails its back to a van shop for a new DIFFERENT make.

Ive fancied a "windsor Royal" as it attatches to the van in a bag for travelling, though some have mentioned the bag lets water in and makes a bit of a mess, this can be avoided gy pre waterproofing the bag prior to first use.

Other than that they are all much of a muchness, though the royal and one or two others have built on storm straps.

Shop round for one you fancy then give the forum a make and model. then members can be more specific.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

We have two, the Towsure small 'porch' awning, and the full size 3 panelled '390' version and love both.

We use the porch one for weekends, and the large one for longer stays. We can put it up in about 10 minutes, Husband can do the porch one on his own in about the same time.

We've got the new 2009 version large one with the rear supports, I don't believe it was more money, I think the older ones are now cheaper, but we're fairly new to caravanning so I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

I love both of them for easy, simplicity and portability. I can't even lift the bag containing our 'proper' full size canvas awning, let alone the bag with the poles in too. The lightweight ones are fab in my opinion.

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)

I have the Sunncamp Ultima 260, it has stood upto strong wind, heavy rain and rough handling, now looking to purchase the 390 or the 4m from Outdoor Revolution. The new 2009 Ultima's have two horizontal poles to keep awning tight to caravan wall, they also brought out a versions in acrylic the 260 weighs 21kg as against the polyester 260 at 14kg.

There is a promotion offer on the Outdoor revolution Meteor at www. waudbys. co. uk and UBC www. awnings. co. uk have the original Ultima's on offer.

Im trying to gather information on them all Towsure, Royal etc before final decision.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

You should check out the Kampa Rally 260 / 390. Similar shape but uses fibreglass roof poles joined to metal vertical poles by an elbow joint.

Seems to make a more rigid structure with a bit more shoulder room due to the elbow joint instead of the continuous curve. Less threading of poles into sleeves too as the metal vertical pole is attached by clips after assembly (mind your fingers! :D )

Used ours twice and experienced a week of heavy rain with no more than an occasional drip from the window blind toggles above the outer windows.

Recommend it.

Pageant 7 Bretagne - PowrTouch Mover - Kampa Rally 390 - Chrysler Grand Voyager - Hyundai Tucson

We had a Sunncamp scenic plus but found that there was not really enough room to sit in it with 2 chairs. We bought a Royal Windsor 260 and found it was much bigger and you can easily fit 2 chairs and a table in there with room to spare :) We are very pleased with it and it has stood up to some heavy rain and stormy conditions. It does roll up into a bag that slots into the awning rail, which makes it very easy to put up. We do not leave it in the bag for travelling. If the awning gets packed away wet it is quite easy to dry over a washing line when you get home. We use ours for weekend and short breaks, but still prefer a full awning for longer stays.

Graeme.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

We are looking at one of these "curvy" awnings.

We already have a PDQ awning that is supposed to ride in the rail.

In looking for the "curvy" type, one thing is essential for us. The awning will definitely not be one with a rail pocket. During windy weather, the outer flap of the pocket slaps against the top of the caravan, and can be really annoying during the night.

We have had an Ultima 390 for a couple of years now.

Very good for the price, but we get a lot of condensation in it. Ideal with theSenator as it has a long straigt roof and we can position it where we want. Our caravan awning rail is a bit low to get a good seal on the sides so we could do with the Fiberglass poles being a few inches shorter. I make a small hole with a peg and sink the poles a couple of inches into the ground. This improves the fit enormously, anyone any advice as to how to cut off a few inches on the pole without splitting it?

We use it for two nights or more, but for a week we take our full Dorema Awning.

These extra poles in the new Plus version, are they to hold the material against the caravan to seal it? this gap is one of the main down sides of ours.

Dave

post-337-1242815484_thumb.jpg

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

If you like the curvy type of awning why not take a look at the Outdoor Revoltion techlite plus we could fit a table with 2 chairs and a clothes airer in there no problems and still enough room to move around.

bobsnobs

These extra poles in the new Plus version, are they to hold the material against the caravan to seal it? this gap is one of the main down sides of ours.

Not on our Ace Prestige 25, but it does seem to make it better especially at the door side as you can get it much closer to the van. Downside is the other end, on our van the pole is exactly in the middle of the side window which means I can't open it. Not a major problem but as a fresh air freak I like windows open :o)

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)

I have a 260 Sunncamp. The reason being is that my other half is disabled and I can put it up by myself. However I would point out one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the position of the mudwall either inside or outside. The choice is yours. I prefer outside hence the sunncamp.

Other than that its very good

Colin

Kia Sedona 2. 9TS CDI 2008/Swift Challenger 580 2009

I am impressed with the Outdoor Revolution Porchlite Square we have. It has just one pole that has no contact with the caravan side at all. It is super fast to put up and very

secure in strong winds. It is supplied with its own storm straps and veranda poles to open out the front door.

The size is 2. 5mtr x 2. 5mtr, a perfect weekend awning to store all the wet stuff and keep the van free from clutter. It cost us sixty five pounds.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Very good for the price, but we get a lot of condensation in it. Our caravan awning rail is a bit low to get a good seal on the sides so we could do with the Fiberglass poles being a few inches shorter.

I make a small hole with a peg and sink the poles a couple of inches into the ground. This improves the fit enormously, anyone any advice as to how to cut off a few inches on the pole without splitting it?

Dave

post-337-1242815484_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave, I agree you do get condensation but i find it dry's out quickly with the sun shining, if still wet when I get home I leave it over the rotary clothes dryer until it drys out.

I have a problem getting a seal if ground slopes upwards from van, a lot easier when ground slopes away, never thought of digging holes in ground for poles (could always blame the rabbits for holes ;) ).

Yes the Plus version vertical poles fit into pockets, similar to the horizontal bracing poles, look good in showroom, however a caravan has the draught skirt rail which could prevent a good seal.

Yours looks well fitted on photo.

regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

We've just had a Kampa Rally 260 and can thoroughly recommend it. The advantage over similar ones is the shape of the front, which comes straight out a bit then is angled down, rather than one curve. It means you have good headroom right to the front, and good use of all the floor space. Yes, the front panels can be unzipped and rolled right up - or they can be stretched out and supported with extra poles (supplied) and guys to make a sun canopy - like on a tent. I haven't made use of that yet, but can confirm that the awning stands up well to continuous rain!

With the Rally you can also get optional rear legs, which I bought - it gives a better seal against the side of the 'van.

Jonathan.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

Guest Surfer

We use a porch awning every time we go out which is about every second weekend even during the winter. Our biggest issue with the 390 was condensation on the inside. It was that bad it was almost like rain. Secondly we have a twin axle Lunar and found that the awning rail was slightly which rfesulted in the endy poles having more of an arch and lifting the sides off the ground. Got rid of it within a month. We have the Elite now which is just a small one over the door and it is cheap and cheeful and when it goes easy to replace. It has already ripped at the top but we managed to fix it. If used frequently expect to replace every two years. Alternatively spend a bit extra and but a proper porch awning. We picked up a second hand Ventura Marlin for £250 which has plenty of room for two chairs and a table and does not suffer from condensation.

Kampa Rally 390 at Keswick this year.

post-30587-1242863525_thumb.jpg

Hi Empee was that over the easter holiday weekend if so may have seen it, that when I decide to change the Ultima 260 after seeing a S7 Pageant with a similar awning to yours on C&CC at Keswick, it was pitched up on main field half way down road. I was on the small field.

Brianinhull

Hi Empee was that over the easter holiday weekend if so may have seen it, that when I decide to change the Ultima 260 after seeing a S7 Pageant with a similar awning to yours on C&CC at Keswick, it was pitched up on main field half way down road. I was on the small field.

Brianinhull

Hi brian!

Yes that would have been us B) - missed the weekend but there for the week from Tuesday on.

So should we talk to kampa about a commission :D

martin

Pageant 7 Bretagne - PowrTouch Mover - Kampa Rally 390 - Chrysler Grand Voyager - Hyundai Tucson