Charging A Flat Battery On Site

robertm

I had my van serviced by a mobile service engineer today. Anyway after I had settled up with him and I left the van to come home I had a thought as to whether the electrics had been switched off or not. I am too far away from the storage to go and check so it could be the case on Saturday that when I go and pick the van up to go on our Whitsun break, I will have a flat battery.

If I pitch on site and plug in my EHU, will the batter charge ok or will it just trickle?

Alternatively, if I take out the battery and plug in the EHU will the 240v sockets work to enable me to use my battery charger from home.

If both methods work, what would be the best to use?

Even though I have had a caravan for 6 years, I have never been in this situation.

Thanks

Regards
Robert
Ford Kuga 150 TDCI Titanium. Bailey Pegasus II Verona

The caravan battery charger gives a good charge, not a trickle but its voltage is sometimes set a little lower to prevent the battery gassing. The EHU will allow the 240V sockets to work in the van, whether or not it is connected to a battery.

If your battery is completely flat when you pick it up then it could well be damaged and unable to take a charge at all. However you will be able to avail of both 12V and 240V outputs in your van, provided you are on EHU(even if you take out your battery completely). The onboard charger will rectify its 240V input to 12V output for your 12V sockets,pump, lights etc. However you wont have any safeguard should the EHU trip. In this scenario all electrics will fail.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Thanks for all your advice

Regards
Robert
Ford Kuga 150 TDCI Titanium. Bailey Pegasus II Verona