Nosewight For A Crv 60gs

crvmeister

Hello to verybody, and thanks for reading thus far.

Ive got a 2002 MK2 Honda CRV, for which the nosweight limit is 60Kgs.

We have put a deposit down on an Abi Award Transtar 2berth van, which has an MRO (ex works) weight of 940Kgs.

Now, they say a little knoweldge is dangerous, and thats my middle name at the mo. !..I have checked with the Caravan Club, and other facilities, and am more than happy that the weight match of my car is fine ( it having an approx kerbside weight of 1500 Kgs).

What worries me is the noseweight limit of my car, which means that I will only be putting about 6% weight on the towball, compared to the recommended 7%. Ive been told by seasoned caravanners, that this will be OK, ( well Ive asked 2 people), but my question is this-

Is such a caravan likely to have a starting noseweight that is under 60Kgs, And will it all end in tears as soon as I get on the motorway?

Any of your shared advice and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Andy :)

Hello to verybody, and thanks for reading thus far.

Ive got a 2002 MK2 Honda CRV, for which the nosweight limit is 60Kgs.

We have put a deposit down on an Abi Award Transtar 2berth van, which has an MRO (ex works) weight of 940Kgs.

Now, they say a little knoweldge is dangerous, and thats my middle name at the mo. !..I have checked with the Caravan Club, and other facilities, and am more than happy that the weight match of my car is fine ( it having an approx kerbside weight of 1500 Kgs).

What worries me is the noseweight limit of my car, which means that I will only be putting about 6% weight on the towball, compared to the recommended 7%. Ive been told by seasoned caravanners, that this will be OK, ( well Ive asked 2 people), but my question is this-

Is such a caravan likely to have a starting noseweight that is under 60Kgs, And will it all end in tears as soon as I get on the motorway?

Any of your shared advice and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Andy :)

Welcome to the forum and well done for asking the right questions. The 7% is only a guideline and an old one at that. There are few combinations today that can meet this 7% as the maximum noseweight of the hitch is 100kg. You are doing well to get to 6% so woory not.

We had a Mk1 CRV and towed an Elddis Cyclone with an MTPLM 1150 kg and it towed like a dream.

Happy caravanning.

Mike

Hi,

We tow with a MK2 CRV but the slightly later model with 100kg nose weight limit. our van has almost 1500 max weight.

Ours tows fine so I'm sure yours will be ok to as you van is lighter.

Matthew

You'll be fine, especially with a nice light caravan like that.

I'd recommend the caravan club practical caravanning course if its the first time you'll be towing - I did mine after towing for a year, and I wish I'd done it earlier.

Hi Andy,

If you are buying from a dealer ask them to weigh the noseweight for you while the 'van is empty. Our car's max noseweight is 60kg and the 'van when empty has a noseweight of 65kg so I don't have a problem achieving the 60kg limit,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

You'll be fine, especially with a nice light caravan like that.

I'd recommend the caravan club practical caravanning course if its the first time you'll be towing - I did mine after towing for a year, and I wish I'd done it earlier.

I agree 100% if your new to towing the course is well worth the money. I did it and am glad I did, my course was given by a long service traffic officer.