Butane

bilbo

We own a 2008 ranger which came with a 7 kg butane bottle.

I know the level must be low now and i have acquired another 7kg empty bottle which i intend to exchange for a full bottle later today or tomorrow.

As we dont go on trips during the winter months ( my wife refuses point blank ) should i stay with Butane or change to propane and would i need to change any connections.

If you are not using your gas system in low temperatures ie below 5deg then I would recommend you stay with Butane as it has a higher calorific value.

If you intend to use your caravan all year round then go for Propane. I have propane and caravan all year and it works a treat

Butane does not work very well below about 5C so if you are caravanning only in the summer months you should be OK. Butane is slightly cheaper than propane. The connections on propane and butane cylinders are different.

Brian

Another potential advantage of changing to propane if you use Calor is that you can use Calor-lite. Not only are the bottles lighter but they have a gauge on them to indicate how much gas is left. They are 6kg bottles and they are slightly more expensive than the standard bottles. At the moment Calor Centres will do a straight swap but there is talk that they may withdraw this.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

If you have no plans for cold-weather caravanning, then you will be fine staying with Butane. Although Butane comes in 7 kg cylinders, as opposed to Proane which comes in 6 kg cylinders, there is little to choose betwen the two, as Propane produces a great volume of vapour compared to Butane.

Vapour produced from 1 gallon of liquid @ 60F is 36. 39 cu. ft. for Propane and 31. 26 cu. ft. for Butane.

We use propane because (a) we are likely to go away in the caravan when freezing conditions can occur, and (B) we use the BP Gaslight bottles, which only come with Propane.

If you are 'gas hungry' caravanners then propane fares better than butane. i cant remember the physics of it but if you are using several gas items at once then the propane out performs the butane in terms of flow. for example if you were to cook a large meal using several rings and the oven and had the fridge on gas too then propane would be better.

Before anyone asks - i cant explain it though when i was reading the article it did make sense!!

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

ive just changed from my 2 x 7kg butanes to 1 x 13kg Propane.

Each butane bottle when full weighs 19. 8 kgs. so with 2 full ones you have just under 40kgs forward of your axle which isnt good for nose weight

now the single propane weighs in at just under 27kgs, saving of 13kgs plus extra space and a hotter burning gas :)

Butane burns with a blue flame whilst propane burns with a blue flame tipped with orangy purple glow :D

hth

jon

Edited by Rizo

2001 Lunar Ariva GTS, Propane, 180amp Marine Battery and a 20w Solar Panel with Charge Controller. 1000W mains invertor

Towed by 1. 8 VVT Vectra Hatch

Another potential advantage of changing to propane if you use Calor is that you can use Calor-lite. Not only are the bottles lighter but they have a gauge on them to indicate how much gas is left. They are 6kg bottles and they are slightly more expensive than the standard bottles. At the moment Calor Centres will do a straight swap but there is talk that they may withdraw this.

poolebob

Not all the Calor-lite have a gauge, some do some dont.

My 2 dont.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Thank you for the replies.

Until I can change the bosses mind i think we will stay as we are, or keep one of each.

If you know for certain what the weather is like when you go away then no problem.

If you use the heating on electric only no problem.

But any variation from the above equals problem

From a dad whose child almost froze to death in the caravan because of butane.

I will not touch the stuff, even to use for a bbq.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

ive just changed from my 2 x 7kg butanes to 1 x 13kg Propane.

Each butane bottle when full weighs 19. 8 kgs. so with 2 full ones you have just under 40kgs forward of your axle which isnt good for nose weight

now the single propane weighs in at just under 27kgs, saving of 13kgs plus extra space and a hotter burning gas :)

Butane burns with a blue flame whilst propane burns with a blue flame tipped with orangy purple glow :D

hth

jon

I was under the impression that Butane had the hotter flame, are you sure Propane burns hotter?

I was under the impression that Butane had the hotter flame, are you sure Propane burns hotter?

mmmmm. .. got me thinking now

:rolleyes:

i was sure i read that propane had a higher calorific value and each litre of evaporated gas is 15% more in cu'ft volume than butane

2001 Lunar Ariva GTS, Propane, 180amp Marine Battery and a 20w Solar Panel with Charge Controller. 1000W mains invertor

meh, all i know is i prefer propane as i use all the gas things at once sometimes and butane seems to lack the umph.

meh, all i know is i prefer propane as i use all the gas things at once sometimes and butane seems to lack the umph.

thats what i was trying to say in my illiterate way :rolleyes: . If you use many gas appliances at once the butane dies even in warmer weather, whereas the propane will still churn out.

Butane does have a higher calorific value but it is not much more than propane.

have a look here

regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Even in October I've known butane fail to vaporize (in Gloucestershire, not the frozen N). After much prodding of jets and checking of regulators a swap to a nice orange-coloured cylinder sorted the problem.

Incidentally stocks of Calor Lite cylinders are being hoarded by Calor for sale at the CC annual Rally I'm told.

Butane (the blue bottle) burns hotter (only slightly though but enough to feel/see a difference) and lasts longer and is therefore cheaper.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Whatever gas I use its always too HOT and chars the food, thats my excuse.

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.