Solar Panel

Swiftcopper

Have a 2007 Laser 590/4 fitted with Trauma TE Mover, manufacturer's alarm and Phantom tracker stored at a compound with no available mains electricity. Want to maintain battery level so thinking about installing a solar panel to be placed (suction pads or otherwise) above the blind on the main ceiling rooflight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this. Any other suggestions greatly received. Have looked at the thread concerning the CTEK charger but if this requires mains connection it will not suffice.

Elaine, Diane and 6 5 7 5 4 rescued Yorkies
Nissan Pathfinder AventuraTekna followed by Coachman Laser 590/4 620/4
'Drives' a Pride ColtSport towing a doggy caravan when not driving the above outfit!!!

Have a 2007 Laser 590/4 fitted with Trauma TE Mover, manufacturer's alarm and Phantom tracker stored at a compound with no available mains electricity. Want to maintain battery level so thinking about installing a solar panel to be placed (suction pads or otherwise) above the blind on the main ceiling rooflight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this. Any other suggestions greatly received. Have looked at the thread concerning the CTEK charger but if this requires mains connection it will not suffice.

Do you really need to maintain the battery level? Do you not use the van too often, if it is months before each use then maybe a solar charger etc makes sense. But in the majority of circumstances with a good quality battery you should be able to use your motor mover to store your caravan, then after a couple of months remove it with now problem at all. I have heard of a good number of people actually moving their caravan in and out of storage some considerable distances. .Just a thought to save you going to the expence and weight of fitting more gear!

Twinaxle,

Thanks. Its just that the dealer said that the mover could be trickle charged by connecting a solar panel by means of a male/female clip and as we have now got an alarm on the van which is linked to the phantom tracker device, we thought it best to seek out views on this before spending money etc.

We have our old van's battery in the garage, so perhap keeping this charged as a spare would be the better answer.

Elaine, Diane and 6 5 7 5 4 rescued Yorkies
Nissan Pathfinder AventuraTekna followed by Coachman Laser 590/4 620/4
'Drives' a Pride ColtSport towing a doggy caravan when not driving the above outfit!!!

Its worth getting a small Panel for about £20 maplins etc & fastening it to the roof with suckers, make sure its waterproof & remember to remove it before driving off.

having a solar panel the way you suggested will not have a lot of direct sunlight as the sun will be reflected away by the double skinned plastic roof light

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've done this on my van as I managed to get a couple of solar panels from work foc. What I've done is wire up 2 jack sockets (the type you see on mains adapters), one in the battery box so that if I go on to a site without hook up I can plug in the panels from outside, and one just inside the fold down flap to the front bed box. When the van's in storage I put the panels in the front window and pull the blind down which holds them in place. I realise that you lose some charge as the windows are tinted but it does work. The battery voltage is always up at over 13 volts and that's even when the van hasn't been used for a few months over the winter. It works for me.

Cheers

Paul