Problems With A Thetford Cassette

Bill Lord

I have a Thetford C200 S( or may be a CS ) toilet in the caravan. There is no flush tank as the loo takes it's supply direct from the caravan water supply so it is necessary to activate the microswitch to get any water through and the main pump in the internal tank must run. I have on three separate times returned to the loo to find that the bowl was half full of water, the first time we had been out for the afternoon so nobody was there to press the button, the second time was overnight and neither of us had been up to activate any of the taps or microswitches, and the third time was on our way home and whilst towing the 12v supply to the caravan is turned off by a relay as soon as the cars engine starts. On each occasion we know that there was no liquid in the bowl when it was left. I can not see how this can happen, and as soon as I get chance to I will ask Lowdhams ( as the Hymer dealer I bought the van from and the servicing agents ). But in the meantime can anyone please shed any light on this or has anyone else ever had this happen please.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

You seem to have ruled out any chance of it being pump related, which suggests that it can only be a syphon action in the pipework. That doesn't help solve the problem though.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

I would guess that the water inlet valve is leaking a little. You turn a tap on, which pressurises the pipe work, turn the tap off and the pressure remains in the pipe for some time and the leaking inlet valve allow the water into the bowl.

Try turning the pump off and turning a tap on to release the pressure, then turning the pump back on without letting it run - bet the bowl will be still empty in the morning.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Thankyou for those but I think that I still have a problem. The water system is not pressurised it is a microswitch on each tap system, the outlet for the loo is considerably higher than top of the water tank which rules out a syphon and if I turn the electric off and then turn a tap on there is virtually no water that comes out of the tap so I think that eliminates that thought ( it was a good one though I hadn't considered that).

Many years ago with the older bench type electric thetford cassette I remember having to be careful not to travel with a lot of water in the reservoir as it used to do the same sort of thing, but I always put that down to a syphon being setup by water being forced into the pipes by movement of the caravan. But this one happens when the van is perfectly steady and not moving so nothing to start the syphon off. I am puzzled.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

. The water system is not pressurised it is a microswitch on each tap system, the outlet for the loo is considerably higher than top of the water tank which rules out a syphon

Hi There

it might still be a syphon effect, there will still be water in the pipes going to the kitchen/bathroom taps. There is probably a non return valve near to the on board tank. Therefore if there is a fault with the flush seal in the toilet, it might be possible for the water in the pipes at the taps to flow down to the toilet bowl.

Next time it happens, turn on the kitchen/bathroom tap to see if there is a little air coming out before the water flow starts. if this is the case then mystery solved :)

Otherwise it might be one of those ghosts from the other thread :o

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Could it possibly be the head of water in the shower-hose leaking back? It might be worth checking if the shower-hose is empty if it happens again.

Could it possibly be the head of water in the shower-hose leaking back? It might be worth checking if the shower-hose is empty if it happens again.

Thats what i was meaning, just because the water tank is lower than the toilet bowl, doesnt mean that there is no water higher than it elsewhere????

regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5