Help Please - Temp Of Brake Drums

kevinktwo

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I have just had new brake shoes fitted to the van. After driving for 15 minutes at 60mph and coming to a gradual stop. When I put my hand on the drum it is too hot to touch on the outside of the drum where the shoes make contact with drum, but is cool enough to touch in the centre of the hub. Is this normal? My concern is that the pads are rubbing against the drum.

Kevin

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I have just had new brake shoes fitted to the van. After driving for 15 minutes at 60mph and coming to a gradual stop. When I put my hand on the drum it is too hot to touch on the outside of the drum where the shoes make contact with drum, but is cool enough to touch in the centre of the hub. Is this normal? My concern is that the pads are rubbing against the drum.

Kevin

That does not sound normal - I would suggest who ever fitted them has adjusted them too tight or the self adjustment mechanism has not been correctly reset. Take it back.

They are brake shoes BTW, rather than brake pads. Have you tried pushing the caravan on a level surface, it should roll fairly easily with the handbrake off. A gradual slow down should not cause the caravan brakes to come on at all. Heat only in the centre of the hub would indicate a bearing problem.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

They should only be slightly warm under normal conditions unless you have been doing a lot of braking. Sounds like the brakes are rubbing.

Brian