Introducing Myself. I Think I Have To Do This To Become An Approved Member.

RexL

Hello,

I am RexL, retired and live in Lincolnshire. My wife's name is Janet.

I apologise if I have misunderstood the requirements of new membership but trust that I have properly complied by posting this submission.

Can you help please?

We are just about to buy a new caravan and could do with some advice.

We have an Eriba 310 Pan Famila 310GT, which we bought new in 2007. We have only used it once but now requre something much larger and we are having difficulty in making a decision.

We think that we would prefer a twin axle van but are not sure whether or not the benefits outweight those of a single axle one. The twin may be more stable when towing (?) but much more difficult to move about manually if and when necessary. We will be towing with a new Land Rover Discovery III TDV6 Automatic. We want one with a fixed bed.

We are also having difficulty making a decision with regard to the make of the caravan. We have read several horror stories about British built ones and are currently favouring the German Dethleffs. Perhaps the 550L Nomad.

Any comments from anyone with knowledge would be received gratefully.

Thank you for reading our introductory note.

Kind regards to all.

Probably biased as I own a Burstner fixed bed van.

Dellefts are well built vans, as I have said before if you like the layouts of the German vans, can "warm" to the slighly different style the build quality will shine through!

Go for it!

Dave

Hello,

I am RexL, retired and live in Lincolnshire. My wife's name is Janet.

I apologise if I have misunderstood the requirements of new membership but trust that I have properly complied by posting this submission.

Hi Rex and Janet,

I'll answer the first part of yor post and leave others to pass on their "caravan" advice. When you first join you can only post in one of the "Welcome" forums. It's not obligatory to post anything, but once you have made one submission, this allows us to verify that you are a real person, then by approving your membership, give you access to all forums.

Simples ;)

Gordon.

Simples.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi RexL welcome to the forum.

In my opinion stability when towing depends more on your driving style, caravan loading and car match v caravan match than if the van has 2 or 4 wheels. Your tow vehicle is pretty much suited to most if not all tourers that are designed to be towed with a vehicle weighing less than 3 1/2 tons (on UK roads).

There are a number of single axle vans that are almost as long as some of the longest twin axle UK spec vans.

I dont think that there is any doubt that you can man handle a single axle van more easily than a twin however, if you fit a motor mover you don't ever need to break a sweat.

If you visit www. caravanfinder. co. uk you can select that layout that most suits you and it will show you a large range of vans that fit the bill.

Finally, most UK van dealers give a 6 year water ingress warranty.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by sean c

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw