Another Mover Question...

taboo10

Would just like to know, Does anyone leave there motor mover engaged

when pitched up or when parked up at home/storage,and for what

reason ?.

Thanx

VW Tiguan AllSpace  tugging Swift Challenger 565

If at first you don't succeed. . . .Skydiving ain't for you. . . .

Would just like to know, Does anyone leave there motor mover engaged

when pitched up or when parked up at home/storage,and for what

reason ?.

Thanx

I am advised by Powertouch never ever do this as the system will go into safe mode or drain the battery or worse, burn the motors out.

I don't know how true this is and I don't intend to prove it one way or another I will do as the manufacturer tells me and that is. ...Close down the system completely every time.

Tugging a Bailey Senator Vermont Millennium

With a 1999 Vauxhall Frontera Diesel 2. 2 Automatic

Hi,

I don't leave the rollers engaged as it puts a lot of pressure on one area of the tyre and I'm not really sure that it's good for the tyres,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

When my mover rollers are engaged to the van wheels nothing can happen unless first, the isolation switch is on, and second, the control unit is turned on. Are you asking if you can leave the rollers engaged for extra braking/added security? Different mover manufacturers may well give differing advice, but my main concern would be too much pressure on the tyres, and my manufacturer specifically advises against it.

When my mover rollers are engaged to the van wheels nothing can happen unless first, the isolation switch is on, and second, the control unit is turned on. Are you asking if you can leave the rollers engaged for extra braking/added security?

Yes m8 thats the reason,just a bit more security on site,your mover sounds the same as mine

ie. .isolation switch [Truma TE].

VW Tiguan AllSpace  tugging Swift Challenger 565

If at first you don't succeed. . . .Skydiving ain't for you. . . .

Hi we was advised by truma not to leave the rollers engaged, because of a constant pressure in one place on the tyre.

BMW X5 3. 0sd m sport twin turbo. Fleetwood Heritage ES6 (2009) Best car ever owned subaru impreza wr1

Regardless of the make and model of the mover, it certainly would not do the tyres any good at all to leave the rollers pressing into them, more so in warmer weather. A lot of people tend to forget that tyres are the last thing between you and the road!

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Hi,

I'm no engineer but I would have thought that leaving the rollers engaged would apply an unnecessary strain on the mover and everything to which it's attatched,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Does a motor mover apply more pressure to the tyre than the pressure the caravan applies to the bottom of the tyre?

Hi,

I did think about that but I think that the pressure from the rollers are far more localized compared to the amount of tyre footprint in touch with the ground. At the end of the day I do as the manufacturers say regarding this matter,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Does a motor mover apply more pressure to the tyre than the pressure the caravan applies to the bottom of the tyre?

Yes it does as it is a much smaller contact area. It needs this to avoid slip on the tyre when operating. Best not to leave engaged to minimise chance of tyre deformation.

Brian

Hi,

I don't leave the rollers engaged as it puts a lot of pressure on one area of the tyre and I'm not really sure that it's good for the tyres,

Regards,

Ian.

Well the tyres are under pressure at the bottom!! So keep the rollers connected is this any different?? Jim. Sorry should have read to the end of the thread, Doh

Edited by princejim

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

I can't understand how this thread has got to 14 posts!

Nor can I understand why on earth you would want to leave them engaged anyway.

Powrtouch recommend you don't leave the rollers engaged with the tyre so why are we discussing this any further ;)

If you want to thats up to you- we live in a democracy!

If you do and then find your tyres have flat spots then fine - you are the one who will have to pay to replace them not me! :huh:

I just follow the manufacturers guidance!

Mike

Mike Wild. Mazda CX-7 towing Lunar Clubman Saros SB.

Powrtouch recommend you don't leave the rollers engaged with the tyre so why are we discussing this any further ;)

If you do and then find your tyres have flat spots then fine - you are the one who will have to pay to replace them not me! :huh:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Forums are like that. You will always have people querying why we do something, and good for them as we would never move on without people asking why we do something.

Personaly I'm with you on this as I don't see the need to keep the mover engaged, though I do see the need not to and that is because I really think we should look after those two/four pieces of rubber that are in contact with the road and keeping the mover rollers engaged may weaken them in one spot,

Regards,

Ian.

Mike

Probably because we are on a chat forum!!. I still agree that the mover shouldnt be left engaged especially as thats the advice of the manufacturer but there is no harm in asking more questions about something. ..afterall thats how we learn.