Newbie From Tyne And Wear Fleetwood Colchester

lynjoe

hi all, just joined after buying a 2002 Fleetwood Colchester 500-EB. this is our 1st van which we bought privately. We love the van & when checking it, used a damp meter and took advice about what to look out for. ...however, after 2 trips away in April a nasty wet patch appeared on the carpet.

After many frustrating hours this has been traced to the shower cubicle. We have renewed all the sealant in the shower & replaced the shower unit which was leaking slightly from the pipes at the back,these have now been replaced and are now a tight fit.

We have had heaters blasting trying to dry it all out NIGHTMARE !!! :angry:

Hopefully it's sorted. ...but only time will tell. Has anyone had any similar experiences ??

In the meantime . ..after blasting with heat for a full day, & getting next to no reading with the damp meter, we took van back to storage. We have been down to check it today, & the floor is damp again. :(

We can only think that there is water lying under the floor which is swishing around when we move the van. We jacked it up on one side & water did run out. This is worrying as we don't know how much.

Will it eventually dry out?? What else can we do ??

Would love to hear from anyone with any helpful tips.

A lot of people say not to use the showers coz they all leak, but why do they ??

We want to be able to use it, partly because my husband is disabled and using the site showers is sometimes difficult for him.

Apart from this though, it is a beautiful van & we are looking forward to many trips away. :D

Sorry this is a bit long winded !!!

Cheers all

Lynne & Joe

Wallsend

Tyne and Wear

A couple of things spring to mind here, the first being if you have stopped water leaking from the shower then it should dry out.

If not are you sure that something like the water heater is not leaking.

Hi Lynne & Joe, this an ex Swans shipyard fitter talking and far as I know no ships I worked on have sunk, if you have stopped the leaks around shower it will dry out. From what I remember the toilet cassette is next to the shower check seals around the exterior door as that could be another area for water ingress. As Wee Jock said it could be from the water heater particularly if under the side dinette seat next to shower compartment wall. Process of elimination and you'll get there.

Welcome to caravanning its addictive I find it more rewarding and better for my health :rolleyes: than watching Mackems playing you'll find the same with the Mag's ;), Saturdays are not as stressful. :P

regards

Brianinhull (Ex Hebburn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

hi all, just joined after buying a 2002 Fleetwood Colchester 500-EB. this is our 1st van which we bought privately. We love the van & when checking it, used a damp meter and took advice about what to look out for. ...however, after 2 trips away in April a nasty wet patch appeared on the carpet.

Carpet, shower?

Is the wet patch by any chance under a roof vent and the roof vent leaks? Put plenty of newspaper down in the area it shows up water quickly and can help trace where it is coming from. A little heat and a proper electric dehumifier dries things out faster.

I would recommend an all round shower curtain which makes sure all the water runs down, if you want to use the shower, rather that the narrow section of curtain in most vans.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

A couple of things spring to mind here, the first being if you have stopped water leaking from the shower then it should dry out.

If not are you sure that something like the water heater is not leaking.

Cheers Wee Jock. .......will check it out.

Carpet, shower?

Is the wet patch by any chance under a roof vent and the roof vent leaks? Put plenty of newspaper down in the area it shows up water quickly and can help trace where it is coming from. A little heat and a proper electric dehumifier dries things out faster.

I would recommend an all round shower curtain which makes sure all the water runs down, if you want to use the shower, rather that the narrow section of curtain in most vans.

Thanx for the advice Harry, the wet patch was near a roof vent, so will bear that in mind. The shower is a separate cubicle though, no shower curtain. Cheers

. ..tears from Toon results perhaps??????

geoff

(Boro)

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

There is a caravan service place in Gateshead we use called the Caravan Clinic, it might be worth asking them to have a look/quote to repair. We have used them, found them to be very honest.

Might be a good idea to go up to storage and sit in it when it rains, or spray the roof with water, see if it is the roof light

Hi Lynne & Joe, this an ex Swans shipyard fitter talking and far as I know no ships I worked on have sunk, if you have stopped the leaks around shower it will dry out. From what I remember the toilet cassette is next to the shower check seals around the exterior door as that could be another area for water ingress. As Wee Jock said it could be from the water heater particularly if under the side dinette seat next to shower compartment wall. Process of elimination and you'll get there.

Welcome to caravanning its addictive I find it more rewarding and better for my health :rolleyes: than watching Mackems playing you'll find the same with the Mag's ;), Saturdays are not as stressful. :P

regards

Brianinhull (Ex Hebburn)

Thanx for replying Brian, don't think it's the water heater, it isn't under the side dinette next to shower wall. Will check the door seals though. like you say, process of elimination. .. speaking of which . .......Looks like the Mags will be down next season, but the Mackems might just hang in there !!

Happy Caravaning :)

. ..tears from Toon results perhaps??????

geoff

(Boro)

:rolleyes: Yep looks like we're goin down !!!

There is a caravan service place in Gateshead we use called the Caravan Clinic, it might be worth asking them to have a look/quote to repair. We have used them, found them to be very honest.

Might be a good idea to go up to storage and sit in it when it rains, or spray the roof with water, see if it is the roof light

Hi, thanx for replying. If after trying all the suggestions & advice, we still have a prob, we will get the professionals in. Will bear in mind the place in Gateshead.

Cheers lil_me, Happy Caravaning

Hi, thanx for replying. If after trying all the suggestions & advice, we still have a prob, we will get the professionals in. Will bear in mind the place in Gateshead.

Cheers lil_me, Happy Caravaning

Where'd you store it, mines at New Hartley

Not an expert but another pair of eyes if you need to look.

John g

No longer a caravaner :-(

:rolleyes: Yep looks like we're goin down !!!

Maybe not after tonight result :angry:, 3-1 you have better goal difference now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

A few years ago, I soaked my bathroom floor in an Elddis (don't ask?). The floor wouldn't dry out and eventually I had to lift the carpet which was stapled in place and went under the toilet. The carpet was foam-backed and acted like a sponge, so would have taken ages to dry out if left in place. I wonder whether your carpet is similar and it might pay you to try to get some of it up to allow air underneath - might also give you a better idea of the source of the leak. My 'van is also stored at New Hartley & I stopped going to Newcastle matches years ago.

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Thanx for the advice Harry, the wet patch was near a roof vent, so will bear that in mind. The shower is a separate cubicle though, no shower curtain. Cheers

I had a leaking roof vent. I found that the water was coming in just on one corner. I ended up taking both of them out and replacing for new (only cos i wanted to have new clean ones) but when i took them out i found that they had been siliconed :angry: . I put in new ones and sealed them properly and now its all fine. I ended up taking the old ones apart cleaning them up to look like new then sold them on ebay :) (Recycling)

Edited by fleetwoodman

Stevie. m

s60 d5-------- 1995 Fleetwood Garland

A few years ago, I soaked my bathroom floor in an Elddis (don't ask?). The floor wouldn't dry out and eventually I had to lift the carpet which was stapled in place and went under the toilet. The carpet was foam-backed and acted like a sponge, so would have taken ages to dry out if left in place. I wonder whether your carpet is similar and it might pay you to try to get some of it up to allow air underneath - might also give you a better idea of the source of the leak. My 'van is also stored at New Hartley & I stopped going to Newcastle matches years ago.

Hi, the carpet isnt foam backed, but it is totally fitted. We have taken some up from under the seat in the side dinette, which is where the shower backs on to, and which is the wettest. We dry it out but then water seems to seep back up. Is it possible there's a pool of water underneath needing to be drained somehow ??

Also, have you been to the Forget-me-not caravan site,nr Rothbury(Longhorsley)?Thinking of trying a nite there, wondering what it's like.

Where'd you store it, mines at New Hartley

Not an expert but another pair of eyes if you need to look.

John g

Cheers John. ..its stored by the TyneTunnel

• 3 months later...