Proud Owner Of 1985 Fleetwood Crystal-lite 148-4

Hi all

Well I have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first caravan!!

But now I have lots and lots of questions (please excuse my ignorance), which I would be very grateful if you could help me with:

1. What is the best make/size/model etc security device (mainly wheel clamp & Hitch Lock) for my caravan?

2. Does it matter what type (if there are types) of wheel chocks I get?

3. What type/size leisure battery should I buy?

4. I would like to add a small shelf for my tv, how do I find out where I can attach it?

That is all I can think of for now, but I'll be back!!!

I'm glad you have bought your fist caravan. I too have a fleetwood but mine is a 1995 fleetwood garland.

Right to answer some of your questions.

1) I use a SAS wheel clamp the same as this.

2) Don't think it matters but i use FIAMMA levellers which come with their own chocks.

3) If it was me i would have a good look at the one that you have now and take a trip to your local stockist who i'm sure could point you in the right direction. I would tend to go for a middle of the road one if you know what i mean (price wise).

4) Sorry i can't really answer that i have positioned mine in it's original position.

Stevie. m

s60 d5-------- 1995 Fleetwood Garland

Hi all

Well I have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first caravan!!

But now I have lots and lots of questions (please excuse my ignorance), which I would be very grateful if you could help me with:

1. What is the best make/size/model etc security device (mainly wheel clamp & Hitch Lock) for my caravan?

2. Does it matter what type (if there are types) of wheel chocks I get?

3. What type/size leisure battery should I buy?

4. I would like to add a small shelf for my tv, how do I find out where I can attach it?

That is all I can think of for now, but I'll be back!!!

Hi Solatium

Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning. :rolleyes:

As previous post but No 4:

A small shelf can usually be fixed to a wardrobe side using a small piano hinge and a strip of timber approx 25 x 25mm fixed to the inside of the 'van wall. If you are in any doubt about screwing into the wall I have found that a 'No Nails' type adhesive works just as well.

HTH.

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Hi Solatium

Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning. :rolleyes:

As previous post but No 4:

A small shelf can usually be fixed to a wardrobe side using a small piano hinge and a strip of timber approx 25 x 25mm fixed to the inside of the 'van wall. If you are in any doubt about screwing into the wall I have found that a 'No Nails' type adhesive works just as well.

HTH.

Regards.

Col

Hi Col

Many thanks for that, I think that I will try the no nails route first and see how that works out.

Can anyone recommend a good starter book/manual etc so that I can refer to it for all the basics and in particular the electric and gas supplies and units? It would be great if anyone had anything specific to my van.

Many thanks, Sam

Hi Col

Many thanks for that, I think that I will try the no nails route first and see how that works out.

Can anyone recommend a good starter book/manual etc so that I can refer to it for all the basics and in particular the electric and gas supplies and units? It would be great if anyone had anything specific to my van.

Many thanks, Sam

Hi Sam

This book will give you a good insight into 'van maintenance:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Caravan-Manual-Ser. ..s/dp/1859603335

Plus as suggested the F. O. C.

HTH

Regards.

Col

I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Hi Sam

This book will give you a good insight into 'van maintenance:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Caravan-Manual-Ser. ..s/dp/1859603335

Plus as suggested the F. O. C.

HTH

Regards.

Col

Hi Col

Many thanks for that, there are a couple of older editions on ebay.

I have thought of another question. At the moment I do not have a battery, but do have the electric hook up, can I plug it into my house supply to use the lighting? What do I need to check?

Many thanks, Sam

Hi Sam

You will need a mains lead and adaptor, for example see:

http://www. towsure. com/category/6992-Carav. ..ads_and_Storage

C58 with either M405 or M45.

HTH

Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply, I have both of those - luckily, but wasn't sure if I needed a transformer? I didn't just want to plug it in and blow fuses etc. From what I understand, I have to make sure that the main switch in the caravan is turned off, then plug the plug into my house supply and then plug the other end into the caravan and then turn everything on making sure that I turn the caravan on last?

Another query I have is over the gas, I am going to get propane as the caravan will be kept on my drive all year round and will be used by me as a quite space (to get away from my two mad dogs!), there is a regulator in the box at the front of the caravan, are they universal for both types of gas? Other than that and a spanner, do I need anything else? Should I get a corgi reg guy to check everything in case I manage to blow everything up?

Many many thanks, Sam :-)

then plug the

plug into my house supply and then plug the other end into the caravan
and then turn everything on making sure that I turn the caravan on last?

Hi Sam.

T'other way about! :D

Always connect to your 'van first then plug into the mains. Unplugging is the reverse-disconnect at mains then unplug from 'van.

HTH.

Regards.

Col