Water Taste

Maddog Pete

Hi folks, I need a little advice from the more experienced caravanners why does the water seemed to have a tang to it, I have a conqueror which has had its second outing this weekend and the water tasted funny I used to have the same sort of taste with my Elddis when we always put a new water filter in. Any suggestions on what to do. Thx :unsure:

Hi,

Search the forums for other mentions of this.

In short I believe a rather expert opinion was that placticisers in the pipes can taint the water. The interesting thing was that is is an individual 'thing' i. e Hubby might 'taste' it but the wife wont. .

Have a scout around. ... Its been discussed many times. .

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

We tried everything on our previous van to sirt this out. Eventually, the dealer gave use this advice:

FOR TAINTED PIPES

USE 500ML OF HYDROGEN

PEROXIDE TO 5 GALLONS OF

WATER. FLUSH INTO SYSTEM AND

LEAVE FOR TWO HOURS

FLUSH OUT WITH A MINIMUM OF

TWENTY GALLONS OF WATER

Worked a treat.

Cheer

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

Before the first time out every year I flush out the water system with a product from my local caravan dealer, but sorry I can,t remember what it is called.

Also we use a water filter jug for all our drinking water which we fill directly from the site tap and this includes water boiled for hot drinks.

Hi folks, I need a little advice from the more experienced caravanners why does the water seemed to have a tang to it, I have a conqueror which has had its second outing this weekend and the water tasted funny I used to have the same sort of taste with my Elddis when we always put a new water filter in. Any suggestions on what to do. Thx :unsure:

If it is a later Conqueror, I am surprised that you get 'tangy' water, as Swift use semi-rigid pipework which, as far as I know, doesn't suffer the leeching of some flexible pipework used by other manufacurers.

What year is it?

Mike

Before the first time out every year I flush out the water system with a product from my local caravan dealer, but sorry I can,t remember what it is called.

PuriClense?

We have 2004 Challenger and have no problem with taste, we drink the caravan tap water and have done so on all our caravans.

Steve

For years now I have always cleaned/sterilised the water system on my caravans. .I use the same stuff as I use for cleaning all my wine and beer making equipment it's called Brew Cleanse ( don't know if I've spelt that right ) and used to available at Morrisons supermarkets as well as home brew shops. .It works a treat

Cheers

Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

Do what I do and only drink bottled water, 18p for two litres from Sainsburys. Not worth mucking about with cleaners etc.

Steve W :)

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

If it is a later Conqueror, I am surprised that you get 'tangy' water, as Swift use semi-rigid pipework which, as far as I know, doesn't suffer the leeching of some flexible pipework used by other manufacurers.

What year is it?

Mike

mike its a 2008 conqueror 480

We got a 'TCP' taste to our water, which sterilising the system didn't get rid of. The service engineer said the only way we could be rid of it would be to replace the piping - so we bought a 10 litre jerry can with tap which sits in the awning and is refilled a couole of times a day giving us fresh-tasting drinking water all the time.

Jonathan.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

We got a 'TCP' taste to our water, which sterilising the system didn't get rid of. The service engineer said the only way we could be rid of it would be to replace the piping - so we bought a 10 litre jerry can with tap which sits in the awning and is refilled a couole of times a day giving us fresh-tasting drinking water all the time.

Jonathan.

Jonathan I think thats the way to go I am going to also use a water filter jug aswell.

Jonathan I think thats the way to go I am going to also use a water filter jug aswell.

I clean my caravan water pipes with Brewclense first then follow that with a solution of Milton, my water tastes fine, I know everyones taste is different but I do think people go overboard a bit about this bottled/filtered water. After all it's a marketing job by those companies to get you to buy their products. Even if there is a slight taste to the van water it is still OK.

IMO

Col

1998 Swift Europa 460 (Updated a bit) Too good to change

2003 Mercedes C Class 220 CDI Too good to change

BNSF DCC model railroad

Be careful using some types of brewing steralising stuff as I've read somewhere it can damage stainless steel (used for hot water tank!)

Griff

Bessacarr Cameo + L/Rover Discovery

My van had been sitting round for a while before we bought it and when we used the water it tasted horrible.

Tried a few flushes, nothing.

Till Steve Tradetech advised me to flush the system out with a good few litres of cheap orange cordial. Which i did. I filled the aquaroll with 3 bottles and flushed, same again but left the next 3 in for a couple of hours, then again with the final 2. Then a good flush through with miltons and then fresh water sorted it out, its now perfect. And i drink a lot of water/coffee so it has to be spot on.

Question:

If you go away somewhere and wont drink the water from the caravan, what do you do if you go to a friends house?

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

<SNIP>

Question:

If you go away somewhere and wont drink the water from the caravan, what do you do if you go to a friends house?

Hi Brassneck

Too easy

Beer of course ;)

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

As Brassneck says Milton sterilising flued

99p from semichem

I do mines a couple of times a year and leave it soak through the pipes over night then a good flush through

Hyundai Santa Fe

SWIFT Oronsay 570

Guest John KS

We never drink the water from the van. Bought a 1 litre container and just fill it from the site tap. What is the point of buying water from a supermarket when it has probably come out of a tap in the first place!!!!!!!!!

We never drink the water from the van. Bought a 1 litre container and just fill it from the site tap. What is the point of buying water from a supermarket when it has probably come out of a tap in the first place!!!!!!!!!

The same can be said why bother filling a container to drink the same water thats on tap in your van??? :huh: ??

In Consilio Sapienta

Guest John KS
The same can be said why bother filling a container to drink the same water thats on tap in your van??? :huh: ??

Because the water in van taste of plastic and the container doesn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!! :(

Because the water in van taste of plastic and the container doesn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doh!!!!!!!!! :(

So if your home water tasted funny you would buy water from the shops indefinately?

No, you would get off your ass and flush the system.

It just makes me wonder why people pay good money for a system and then refuse to use it because they cant be bothered to flush it.

DOH!!!!!!!

In Consilio Sapienta

It just makes me wonder why people pay good money for a system and then refuse to use it because they cant be bothered to flush it.

It's not a matter of "can't be bothered to flush it", but that if the taste has got into the pipes, no amount of flushing will get rid of it. Although I use a jerry can for drinking water I still sterilise and flush the system regularly to keep the germs at bay.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

Guest John KS
It's not a matter of "can't be bothered to flush it", but that if the taste has got into the pipes, no amount of flushing will get rid of it. Although I use a jerry can for drinking water I still sterilise and flush the system regularly to keep the germs at bay.

I flush ours out also. We just don't like the taste of the tea when it is made from the water from the van.

Sorry but the method i used as given to me by Tradetech above worked.

I did try flushing through with sterilising fluid only and that worked ONCE, after water had ran through the system the taste was back.

However the orange juice and miltons/flush worked a treat.

In Consilio Sapienta